Jusenkyo: Cure or not?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Jusenkyo: Cure or not?

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Tue May 09, 2006 2:02 am

An interesting little discussion cropped up in one of the polls, so I thought I'd give it a topic all of it's own instead of going off topic in the other thread.
Here it is in full:
Dragonboy wrote:and being so close to Jusenkyo would offer a perfect chance to get cures for myself and Shampoo.

Cyber_Skaarj wrote:That's assuming that Jusenkyo is a cure. There's far more reason to assume that the curses will mix than to think that it will cure them. And I'm pretty sure that the springs were destroyed in the Saffron arc anyway, from what I can gather from the large amount of fics that state that fact (I haven't actually read the manga series all the way through yet, still have several books to go).

Vasey wrote:The springs were flooded, yes, but I can't recall anything saying that they wouldn't recede and return to normal sooner or later.

Cyber_Skaarj wrote:There is that I suppose, but there's also no way of know if the flooding would have completely mixed up the magic of the pools so that it's no longer possible to tell what they do without falling into one.

Vasey wrote:True. We really have no idea how the magic of the pools actually works as far I know.

Dragonboy wrote:http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/Book38/RM38-169.gif
That's from the wedding at the very end of the series. And since the guide of Jusenkyo himself sends them the water, I would make the assumption that it would indeed cure Ranma (or Genma or whoever) since he's probably seen situations like that in the past. (considering how long Jusenkyo's been around)
The only argument I ever hear for that is with Taro, and I can only think of two possible explainations for it.
1. Since Taro's cursed form was a mixture of creatures to begin with, being splashed with more cursed water might just blend and add on to it (like the octopus tentacles).
Or 2. If a person were splashed with water that matches their normal form (man water for males, girl water for females, dog water for dogs, etc.) it would cure them, but water that is different from their normal forms will act like Taro's curses did.
Just assumptions of course, but that's how I choose to look at it.

So, continuing on from that...
The guide could have likely sent that barrel under the assumption that someone there wanted a man curse. There's no mention of the fact that he's sending it for a cure. His only words are: "Just enough for one", which doesn't give any hint as to which he's sent it for.
As to the mixing, I think there's far more evidence to suggest mixing than curing from the Taro incident. Personally I don't think that his curse being a mix of animals is going to make any difference; to me, a curse is a curse, end of story.
And splashing a person with water relevant to their normal form would trigger their curse, and then that water would "curse" the cursed form, essentially mixing it. At least, that's what I think it would do.
This is all my own opinion of course.
Last edited by Cyber_Skaarj on Tue May 09, 2006 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Postby DCG » Tue May 09, 2006 2:05 am

it was a wedding. He sent the water for akane of corse.
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Togashi Gaijin » Tue May 09, 2006 2:12 am

WHY does this keep coming up, over & over again? Takahashi has stated in interviews that the Nanniichuan *will* cure Ranma's Nyanniichuan curse. In the end of the manga, the spring are restored to normal. The Guide sends some Nanniichuan water to Ranma for the wedding at the end of volume 38. If Ranma had been able to actually use it, it would have cured him. Period.
It honestly puzzles me why this is so hard for some to comprehend.
-Togashi Gaijin-
Togashi Gaijin
Senshi Cadet

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Tue May 09, 2006 2:16 am

She has? You got a link to this fact, 'cos I didn't know about it (which is most likely why it keeps coming up, not everyone knows about every little thing Takahashi has said).
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Tue May 09, 2006 2:34 am

Togashi Gaijin wrote:WHY does this keep coming up, over & over again? Takahashi has stated in interviews that the Nanniichuan *will* cure Ranma's Nyanniichuan curse. In the end of the manga, the spring are restored to normal. The Guide sends some Nanniichuan water to Ranma for the wedding at the end of volume 38. If Ranma had been able to actually use it, it would have cured him. Period.
It honestly puzzles me why this is so hard for some to comprehend.
-Togashi Gaijin-
It might only cure Ranma. Opposites often cancel each other out in. So Genma or any other cused person would have ended up with a mixed curse.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Togashi Gaijin » Tue May 09, 2006 2:43 am

I don't know if it's on the web in English - IIRC it was in one of the original memorial books.
-Togashi Gaijin-
Togashi Gaijin
Senshi Cadet

Postby Atlan » Tue May 09, 2006 3:06 am

Being the sadistic person that I am, i'm gonna point out a small fact here.
When Pantyhose came back with octopuss tenticles, and they talked about him cursing him self, the exact words used were "splashed himself"
On could extrapolate from that, that the cursed water would curse the skin area that it touches. Tarou splashed the water on his back, and got the tenticles that way. So, if ranma covered his entire body with the Nanniichuan water, he'd be a boy forever. But if he just splashed himself with it, it could be a very entertaining result.
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby A.Nonymous » Tue May 09, 2006 4:14 am

Atlan wrote:Being the sadistic person that I am, i'm gonna point out a small fact here.
When Pantyhose came back with octopuss tenticles, and they talked about him cursing him self, the exact words used were "splashed himself"
On could extrapolate from that, that the cursed water would curse the skin area that it touches. Tarou splashed the water on his back, and got the tenticles that way. So, if ranma covered his entire body with the Nanniichuan water, he'd be a boy forever. But if he just splashed himself with it, it could be a very entertaining result.

And unless he was VERY carefull with that barrel It's more likely he'd end up a guy on top and at least a girl's legs...
Also, let's mention Happosai getting cursed with a twin bump on his head. It should have gotten his whole head... a two headed Happosai would be...interesting...
A.Nonymous
Senshi Cadet

Re: Jusenkyo: Cure or not?

Postby A.Nonymous » Tue May 09, 2006 4:26 am

Cyber_Skaarj wrote:An interesting little discussion cropped up in one of the polls, so I thought I'd give it a topic all of it's own instead of going off topic in the other thread.
Here it is in full:
Vasey wrote:The springs were flooded, yes, but I can't recall anything saying that they wouldn't recede and return to normal sooner or later.

Well, obviously that's wrong...
Cyber_Skaarj wrote:There is that I suppose, but there's also no way of know if the flooding would have completely mixed up the magic of the pools so that it's no longer possible to tell what they do without falling into one.

We can assume the guide dumped a someting like a rat into the "Pool of the drowned dinner...I mean pig" to test it out.
Vasey wrote:True. We really have no idea how the magic of the pools actually works as far I know.

And that's why no one REALLY gets offended with Neko-Ranma-chan.
Dragonboy wrote:http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/Book38/RM38-169.gif
That's from the wedding at the very end of the series. And since the guide of Jusenkyo himself sends them the water, I would make the assumption that it would indeed cure Ranma (or Genma or whoever) since he's probably seen situations like that in the past. (considering how long Jusenkyo's been around)
The only argument I ever hear for that is with Taro, and I can only think of two possible explainations for it.

Also, Happosai and his twin bumps.
Dragonboy wrote:Or 2. If a person were splashed with water that matches their normal form (man water for males, girl water for females, dog water for dogs, etc.) it would cure them, but water that is different from their normal forms will act like Taro's curses did.
Just assumptions of course, but that's how I choose to look at it.

I've always wondered about that. Are we sure the various animal pools aren't sex-linked as well? Has anyone checked Genma's cursed form? How do we know Moose isn't a girl duck?
A.Nonymous
Senshi Cadet

Postby Atlan » Tue May 09, 2006 5:34 am

the bump part on the leach reinforces my point. It didn't give haposai a new head, or make two happosais. It gave the affected skin area a curse.
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Tue May 09, 2006 5:44 am

I recommend leaving Pantyhose-baka out of it since we don't know what he did.
as to the male on top, female beneath, It could be possible, but I think there is some point of getting wet that it won't matter any more.
Happosai's bump, is using twin water, which to my knowledge is, unlike most of jusenkyo, permnanant. so it likely works differently.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Anchoku » Tue May 09, 2006 1:10 pm

Pantsuto Tarou is a tricky subject. He got his original curse from waters that were already mixed rather than getting cursed multiple times. We don't really have an explanation for the second curse but, for with canon, I have to assume he went to Jusenkyou and re-mixed his original curse with the addition of the octopus (or, whatever it was).
So overall, I'd have to say the curses can be cured with spring-of-drowned-girl or, spring-of-drowned-boy just like Takahashi-san wrote it.
That does, however, bring up an interesting question: Would the counter-curse erase the original curse or, simply over-write it so Ranma would changed into his drowned-boy form with cold water?
As long as I'm raising questions, if Ranma used nannichuan, would he still be a water-magnet? Is the water-magnet (a fannon term) effect an exaggeration of the accidents Takahashi-san uses for her story and would it stay even after a "cure?"
Anchoku
Senshi Cadet

Postby Dragonboy » Tue May 09, 2006 1:22 pm

Anchoku wrote:As long as I'm raising questions, if Ranma used nannichuan, would he still be a water-magnet? Is the water-magnet (a fannon term) effect an exaggeration of the accidents Takahashi-san uses for her story and would it stay even after a "cure?"

I can't answer the other questions, but as to the 'water magnet', in the series, Ranma (Or Ryoga or whoever) usually only get hit with water and change forms when it's very inconvenient for them (Ranma around his mother, for example). So I would say that if they were following the series' logic, then they would no longer be water magnets because it would no longer be an inconvenience for them even if they were.
Dragon-Stiel Inc.
We'd be famous if we weren't so lazy.
Dragonboy
Senshi Candidate

Postby Seed00 » Tue May 30, 2006 11:44 am

Well, if no one hasn't posted this yet, here's another example of a cure. I forgot which arc this was. I think it was the dojo destroyer thing when genma and Ranma were enjoying the fact that they weren't changing. I personally think that using the instant Nannichuan along with the locking kettle would work. The instant packet stopped the curse until it rained again. So the method I described is another alternative.
Provided Herb even lets them have the kettle.
Seed00
Senshi Cadet

Postby nuclear death frog » Tue May 30, 2006 11:54 am

Seed00 wrote:Provided Herb even lets them have the kettle.

Considering he owes Ranma both a life-debt, for saving him when Mt. Horai collapsed, and substantial apologies for locking his curse without just cause, I doubt he'd have much problem with loaning the Chiisuiton out so long as it was to be returned.
nuclear death frog
Senshi Cadet

Next

Return to Specific Series: Ranma