Which charachters are you tired of seeing sanctified?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Postby three headed dog » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:31 pm

keeps rubbing in how he will not let Akane cook

To be fair she really is a bad cook and should have been kept from cooking because when she did cook it made people sick.

Why is he all of a sudden the most incredibly honerable and upstanding mr. citizen?

Honorable and upstanding don't really fit Ranma but he does have a moral code more so than most of the people in the manga.

Ranma being polite and nice isn't out of character since if you look at the manga when he first meets people he is polite and nice until they do something to him or say something about him. He was nice to the tendo's until they started insulting him, he was nice to Ryoga at first (tried to restart friendship with him), was nice to Uyko, was nice to Miss Hinako (of course this time he had a reason - he wanted to know how to do her technique), he was nice to the panda ghost, he was nice to the old man who entered his dreams, etc... He often helps people, even people he doesn't like.

He does put his foot in his mouth occasionally but not all that often for instance when Nabiki asked how Akane's clothes fit he replied not to well to tight in the top and to loose in the hips. Inadvertently insulting Akane.

I think it's a cop out on having her wise old teacher without her acknowledging she is afraid of Ranma, especially Neko-Ranma

I don't see Cologne as being afraid of Ranma at all. Surprised definitely (he surprises her on multiple occasions), she definitely respects Ranma a lot (use of dono honorific and several of her comments point to this), and possibly a little awed by him (really impresses her several times) but not afraid.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:10 pm

three headed dog wrote:Honorable and upstanding don't really fit Ranma but he does have a moral code more so than most of the people in the manga.

I didn't say he's not a good person, just not a perfect one. It seems that because he is in fact one of the better people, and is the main hero more or less, authors seem to like to portray him as having no flaws. I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't see how that contradicts what you said.

Having his flaws (egotistical, smart mouthed, at times underhanded) makes him a more three dimensional character. Sure, have him help the random guy and have him be far too forgiving to the random grief causer for his own good, but please at the same point have him make the occasional unintended stupid comment (to someone who really deserves worse albiet) that only accidentally makes things worse or make a petty deal over someone else who outclassed him.

I don't see Cologne as being afraid of Ranma at all.

I think she in some ways has seen just how little Ranma wants to marry Shampoo, and after the Breaking Point story seems to feel that it would be best to not try to force him but instead use occasional trickery like in the Contrary Jewel. But yes, I do agree that partly due to a growing respect for Ranma (but not really scared, I think she could have beat the Cat Fist if she really wanted to) she seems to prefer to try not to make him too unhappy.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:15 pm

Nabiki bothers me the most. Nabiki is treated far to nice in fan fiction when she is incredibly bad.
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

My Blog: http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:37 am

Although, I tend to notice that in general fanfictions based on the manga are generally the ones that are more guilty of removing his flaws. I have seen many anime fanfictions where in fact he tends to act what I would call realistic for him. But, I think that's due to the fact that he's generally more of a wise aleck and in some ways dumber in the anime.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Southern Cross » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:18 am

I'm with antimatterenergy.Remember,Nabiki was one of Principal Kuno's "Evil Three",along with his son and Happosai,and she was clearly the most evil of the lot.
"We're all part monsters in our subconscious-That's why we have laws and religion!" -Captain J.J. Adams
Southern Cross
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby whatever » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:18 pm

Kasumi: as many people said it already, people tends to see her as a saint because she isn't as agressive as the other but she doesn't make or at least try to solve the situations in that house she even seems to approve akane's behavior.

Ranma:he is a good person, he try to be nice when people are not fighting him, he is forgiving with persons that even try to kill him but ranma is a jerk, egocentrical,sometimes insult people when there is no need to and he is very manipulative with others

Ukyo:okay, she seems nicer that the other fiances but in my opinion she can be as nasty as kodachi or shampoo, she is very manipulative, she was willing to beat nabiki when she was the new fiance and team up with shampoo to throw bombs at ranma's wedding

Excuse me is there english mistakes as you see english isn't my native language
whatever
Senshi Cadet

Postby Trimatter » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:28 pm

My two-bits:

Over the course of time, every character has been sanctified or vilified at one point or another. It goes back and forth from one extreme to another following along with time, taste and creativity (or lack of).

Generally speaking however, no one character has been so throughly sanitized, had their bad points removed, had their character totally rewritten by fandom into a more positive person than they really are in canon in such an extreme way as Nabiki has. In my opinion, she is currently the most sanctified character in the history of Ranma One Half fandom - to the point that it is almost ridiculous.

Nabiki, in canon, is not a good person and, if anything, is borderline on evil. She exploits people (and fairly ruthlessly too) to get money from them, has proven to be a hazard to the Tendo household budget (more so than Genma and Ranma has), doesn't really care what her schemes does to people and doesn't think beyond herself (family included - though she does have some marginal feelings in that area) and is really is not as smart and clever as usually shown. She is a short-term opportunist and is not a long term planner; she is also not sharp enough to have a 'vast network' of anything.

All those canon traits have been replaced in fandom by a shy, caring, lonely, mercenary breadwinner of the family that hides her heart of gold in a wrapping of ice. The Nabiki that fandom has created doesn't exist in canon nor anywhere else outside of fanfictions. Although the sanctification of Nabiki started small and many years ago (since around 1999-2001 era), it has now reached, to what I feel, almost a saturation point and finding a story today that has Nabiki even remotely in-character is very rare now, if not impossible.
Old Fart at Large
Trimatter
Senshi Candidate

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Try "Teen Titans and the Lost Boy". I'd say she's pretty in-character there -- not an evil bitch, but definitely not that the suffering family provider in most fanfiction either.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Yrael » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:08 am

I can't believe no one (including himself) has mentioned Trimatter's In the Lunchroom. It covers pretty much everything mentioned here. :)

To be honest, though, the groundwork for stuff like Saint Nabiki and Ultra-Honorman Ranma were laid by Takahashi herself. Her characters all have personality traits that are taken to the extreme. Most of the examples here are simple those same traits viewed from another angle.
Yrael
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crim Zephi » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:13 am

I may be wrong, but Innortal's story had a Nabiki that stuck to canon in the beginning. Granted you really couldn't tell because he was skipping vast amounts of time so one moment she was canon and then BOOM! 5,000 years had past and she had grown past that, as people do as they grow older, In fact I believe that the most recent chapter even had her admitting, some what, to what she was like in canon.
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Crim Zephi
Senshi Candidate

Postby whatever » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:22 am

well now that you are speaking of nabiki, recently i saw a fic where akane end up pregnant of ranma just after like 2 months of the failed wedding and nabiki is the first to find out then surprisingly for me she end up being akane greatest supporter, the fic is very good in my opinion but i dont know if nabiki will act like that in the original canon.
whatever
Senshi Cadet

Postby Drawde » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:42 am

One thing I get a bit tired of is the amazons, as a whole, being sanctified. Practically any story involving them, even when Shampoo ISN'T paired with Ranma, have them end up helping Ranma, or even having some greater purpose in helping him. Although I don't believe they are man-haters like in fanon, they're still rather viscious. Like the kiss-of-death and "obstacles are for killing".
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:37 am

For anyone who ever wanted to see a more negative light on Nabiki, there's always Firewind's Bitter. Although, there is some sanctifying of other charachters I don't particularly agree with.

Drawde wrote:Practically any story involving them, even when Shampoo ISN'T paired with Ranma, have them end up helping Ranma, or even having some greater purpose in helping him.

Agreed that they are usually put in too positive of lights, but then again there's always Campfires or Hearts of Ice to put them back in place. Although Campfires is more fiancee brigade bashing than Amazon bashing.

On a side note though, the reason Cologne is commonly portrayed so much as the helpful wise sage is due to the fact that she is actually quite helpful at times (Hiryu Shoten Ha is a good example, even if it was more to make sure her precious son in law was still a quality Amazon husband.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crim Zephi » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:46 pm

A while back I read a fic that was Ukyo/Ranma that portrayed both Akane AND Nabiki as evil.....granted they were vilified to some extent, and the Amazons were suddenly extremely helpful and all, but at the time I was in an odd mood so I enjoyed it more or less.
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Crim Zephi
Senshi Candidate

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:31 pm

Ryoga: He is often portrayed as a semi-honorable victim of his lost curse and bad luck, who sees dislikes Ranma's disrespectful treatment of him, and has taken that dislike a little in the extreme, but ultimately considers Ranma a friend, and is such a prude he faints with a gigantic nosebleed whenever he sees a naked girl, so he hasn't really taken advantage of his curse against Akane, and wouldn't really hurt Ranma when he is down, and would protect innocents if thrust into a situation where they are being victimized.

This is just not true, and in many cases patently ridiculous to anyone who had read the manga. When Ryoga believed the breaking point could kill people, he used it freely against Ranma. He has ignored pleas for help by endangered people many times and ignored and endangered bystanders with his destructive and violent behavior, only helping if his attention is properly caught and there is something in it for him in most cases. Even when he threw Ranma the kaiisfuu he was in a position where he probably felt he owed Ranma, and Ryoga isn't the type to want to owe Ranma anything. Even when Ranma was weakened by the ultimate-strength moxibition, the most likely reasons he didn't want to kill Ranma that way was because it wouldn't prove he was better than Ranma, and it would probably make Akane dislike him if/when she found out, and he still wasn't opposed to beating Ranma up a bit in his weakened state. While Kasumi, a character who is usually completely uncaring about the feelings of others and oblivious in social situations played cruel pranks while possessed by the oni, Ryoga went about trying to rape Akane. When Ranma pretended to be Ryoga's long-lost fiancee around the time of Ukyo's into, Ryoga tried to rape her as soon as they were out of sight, despite her protests and resistance once he started grabbing at her clothes and pushing her down. Perhaps the most well known point when Ryoga ignores bystanders is when he throws his bandannas about and nearly kills a bunch of Furikan students and chops of Akane's hair in his intro fight. The only reason Ryoga wanted to be rid of the mark of the gods was because of how embarrassing it looked, otherwise he had no problems beating up, even perhaps killing Ranma with it. As much as he has great loneliness from his lost curse, it still doesn't excuse the fact that one of the first persons to show him kindness and respect as a martial artist, Ranma, who Ryoga seemed to somehow know had waited three days for him, probably told by others in the area, still blamed Ranma for running away, rather than his lost curse for not getting there on time, and later, before he even knew that Ranma was the girl who had stepped on his head, already blamed Ranma for his Jyuusenkyo curse, when he probably could have ended up at Jyuusenkyo weather he was chasing Ranma or not with his sense of direction. Ryoga _has_ purposefully changed into P-chan to be held up to Akane's breasts, and not just out of spite of Ranma, and is a coward about admitting his curse, and stays aware more than often enough to abuse it. While it is true Ranma has abused his girl form, Ranma at least doesn't purposefully use it to peep on girls, even though he's in a better position than Ryoga to do so, and the only situations where he has done stuff like enter girls' locker rooms is for a different purpose, such as catching Happosai or finding the Japanese Nanniichuuan. Ryoga _knows_ Akane is Ranma's fiancee and is _still_ after her.

The list can just go on and on, at best, Ryoga only tries to appear honorable when paying close attention and it can be used to impress Akane or manipulate someone who follows a similar code of claimed honor, and he doesn't seem to really have much in the way of morals in the first place, seemingly just doing what will satisfy him most at the time if he thinks he can get away with it. He really is like a demon.

In my opinion, it is similar to the way people treat Severus Snape in Harry Potter, everybody romantices about him being a spy and pretending to hate the Gryffindors, and being remorseful about killing Dumbledore and harassing Harry which he has to do in order to convince the dark students that he is still a DE so they don't give away things to their parents.

No, just no, he would still be a DE if Voldemort hadn't killed Lily Potter or gone after her, even as much as he loved her he _still_ called her a 'mudblood' at least that once, he _really did_ hate Harry and show him that hate every time they interacted in the way he singled him out for harassment and unfair treatment. If Voldemort really wanted a spy, he would have excused Snape putting up an act for Dumbledore to pretend to really be remorseful about the dark and on Dumbledore's side by being a good teacher and treating students from all houses fairly, and convincing Voldemort this act was all that was needed to convince Dumbledore, and Voldemort would have noticed this if it weren't for his insane ego clouding his judgment, and Dumbledore should never have let him teach, join the order and protect him from the law, maybe, but send him to harass children most of the day and make a mockery of the house system and raise the next few generations of DE's and dark wizards, while reducing the number of future aurors with his prejudices, encouraging Slytherins to break the rules while punishing even the Gryffindors who do follow them? Doing the bare minimum to 'teach' Potions, but mostly just harassing the people who mess up and praising even unworthy Slytherins? Still acting like a greasy bastard even in Order Headquarters and alone with people?

Yes, we know he ultimately fought for the light in the end, and since the first book started, but Snape does not really lie morally on the side of the light, he is a dark wizard through and through, who loves the dark arts, and likes to cause pain and suffering, and only helped Harry because he was Lily's child, he was smart enough to know that Voldemort winning would suck even for the DE's once he found out how crazy the man really was, and even his love for Lily was more of an obsession related to the fact that she was one of the first people to be kind to him and one of the first magical friends he made, combined with her beauty. If the Evans' had been purebloods, and Lily was never a target of Voldemort, you can bet Snape would have never switched over to the light side and would have enjoyed all his time as a DE outside of being tortured and harassed and made to be Voldemort's toady himself. If Harry hadn't been Lily's son, no matter if he was the chosen one or not, Snape never would have helped him again as soon as he considered the life-debt from James repaid when he 'saved' Harry from the cursed broomstick, nor would he have switched sides in the first place, at least not until he was sufficiently unafraid of Voldemort, or his fears of Voldemort winning became greater than those of him losing.
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Series: Ranma