Which character are you tired of seeing bashed?

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Which character are you tired of seeing bashed?

Postby FriendlyEL » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:30 pm

Like any other anime, Ranma has certain charachters that often just don't fair too favorably with many fans. Any certain one you think just feel are punished way too harshly in anime?

I think Ryoga, and Akane by as a close second are two of the least deserving of the bashing they get. They're both, in my opinion, two of the most overall well intentioned charachters in the series, but somehow they manage to be utterly despised by fannon. :roll:

Another is Kodachi, not so much because she doesn't have her faults, but more because she is often made out to be alot worse than she really is.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:36 pm

Tatewaki Kuno, although kuno-basing is done more often for laughs, as opposed to being the evil, short-tempered arch bitch Akane is portrayed.

I don't see a lot of Ryoga-bashing, actually.

Genma. Very few fics give Genma the respect he deserves as a martial artist. Off the top of my head, only Fire's Vengeance 1/2 show him as someone who was capable of training Ranma as opposed to simply being a bumbling fool that bullied Ranma as a child.

Not enough bashing -- Ranma and Nabiki, both of whom are always painted positively.
Last edited by mondu_the_fat on Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Tovath » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:39 pm

Ryoga is the one I am tired of seeing bashed. I mean really he can as much of an idiot as the next person, but he is not an evil bastard for crying out loud.
“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”
-Hanlon's Razor

"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much."
-Oscar Wilde

Senshi of Puck
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Postby bissek » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:40 pm

If you mean in the physical sense rather than the metaphorical, I'd say Ranma. Literal Ranma-bashing and Kuno-bashing is practically a Ranmafic prerequisite.
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:53 pm

mondu_the_fat wrote:I don't see a lot of Ryoga-bashing, actually.

Eh? From what I saw it's all over the place. I've seen everything from Ryoga being neutered, having his eyes slowly torn out, or Pchan becoming a source of pork for the Tendo "special dinner" or becoming the professional Akane's cooking tester, all as humor.

Not enough bashing -- Ranma and Nabiki, both of whom are always painted positively.

Right on with both of them (although I have seen some that put Nabiki in a less positive light)! I'd say Ukyo as well, except there are some fanfictions out there that do the opposite and make her as bad as Shampoo or Kodachi.

EDIT: I also don't think it's cool to see Cologne portrayed as the evil witch that would gladly kill off Akane to marry Ranma. Yes, she is sneaky and can use things to her advantage, but she generally comes across as quite low key after the Cat's Tounge and Breaking Point incident. Even then she wishes for Akane to be happy to be happy with Ryoga.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby blackmamuth » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:25 pm

I agree with most of it, and I add Nodoka as another one who has more positive light that it deserves. Fucking bitch that seriously contemplates murdering her husband and son. Draws an sword at the minimum noise, with intending harm.

Wants to turn a perfectly happy tomboy (Ranko Tendo) into a "proper" lady. The fuck? who she believes she is to butt into some random teenager life??

Add to that that suddenly in most fics she arbitrarly decides to "divorce" Genma. That inmmediately kills for me any Ranma fics that it happens.

Genma is always bashed by most fics out there. He did write regularly to nodoka (Nodoka in her introduction said that the letters from genma stopped a while ago (Probably after Jusenkyo)) He did tell Ukyo's father Ranma was already engaged (or so he claims)...

Shampoo is also portrayed as someone that would drug Ranma regularly.

Ryouga is another one that suffers from habitual bashing, and Tales of the foxcat perhaps is one i could hardly stomach. Ryouga giving Ranma the deaging mushrooms on purpose?? and then beating him into an inch to death? NO. Go read the moxibustion ARC. Ryouga WANTS to beat Ranma in his prime, and he helps him regain his strenght. He wouldn't settle for that type of victory.
blackmamuth
Senshi Candidate

Postby FriendlyEL » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:43 pm

blackmamuth wrote:I agree with most of it, and I add Nodoka as another one who has more positive light that it deserves. Fucking bitch that seriously contemplates murdering her husband and son. Draws an sword at the minimum noise, with intending harm.

Frighteningly true. Didn't she consider killing him even after she discovered he was her son because she saw him in a girl's school clothing?

Shampoo is also portrayed as someone that would drug Ranma regularly.

Has done it when she has the chance, but certainly not to the extent fanfics make it. Still, she'd gladly do it if she thought she'd generally get away with it. She'd also certainly kill Akane.

I don't know. She seems like someone who deserves some occasional bashing, personally.

Ryouga is another one that suffers from habitual bashing, and Tales of the foxcat perhaps is one i could hardly stomach. Ryouga giving Ranma the deaging mushrooms on purpose?? and then beating him into an inch to death? NO. Go read the moxibustion ARC. Ryouga WANTS to beat Ranma in his prime, and he helps him regain his strenght. He wouldn't settle for that type of victory.

Another one I had a hard time believing, considering the fact that they're more or less friends in their own wierd way. I also remember reading a darkfic where Ryoga rapes Ranma's girl form and leaves her for dead in a trash can after a fight. Sorry, don't see Ryoga doing that.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Rei-chan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:53 pm

Ryoga and Nabiki. I don't like to see either character bashed since they are such useful and amusing people. Bash Akane all you want since I think she deserves it, but Ryoga is really just an innocent guy trying to live by outdated rules of conduct and unable to find his way. Nabiki is a character that I believe is just trying to pass her time and alleviate boredom, therefor I doubt she is some malevolent mastermind that would sell the lot of them down the river for a nickel.
Princess of Charon
Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu September 25, 2006.
I ain't got to explain it. I'm living magic, remember?
Rei-chan
Super Power Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:31 pm

I agree she's more foolish in her schemes than evil (ex. trading off Ranma almost got her killed) and tends to cause unneccicary trouble more than anything (with the Kinnoske arc being the most extreme case against that), but I still doubt she's just the quirky great gal who takes care of the Tendo house financially.

By the way, which fanfictions have you read that really bash her? I myself have seen some, but not THAT much. Examples?

One I don't like seeing bashed as much as he is is Mousse. Sure, he's underhanded, but he's certainly no worse than Shampoo, believe me.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby rmt » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:42 pm

I don't like to see anyone get bashed. Or deified, for that matter. They all have their good points and bad points, and none of them deserve to be made into anything better or worse than what they are.

(Of course, a few of them need fleshing out a little to be able to carry a story.)

FriendlyEL wrote:I also remember reading a darkfic where Ryoga rapes Ranma's girl form and leaves her for dead in a trash can after a fight. Sorry, don't see Ryoga doing that.

I've read that too, I think. And a few others where Ryouga attempts to rape female Ranma, or is only interested in getting Akane so he can get revenge on Ranma. :roll:

Poor Ryouga! I don't know why some people hate him so much.
rmt
Senshi Cadet

Postby Southern Cross » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:50 pm

It's largely due to the fact that Ryouga is using his cursed form in order to be Akane's pet.Most people seem to consider this extremely perverted,and Akane would certainly think so if she ever found out.
And yes,I think that Nabiki is past due for some bashing.She's almost always using her family as part of some scheme to make money (or for her amusement-see the bean plant storyline) and never gets punished for it.
"We're all part monsters in our subconscious-That's why we have laws and religion!" -Captain J.J. Adams
Southern Cross
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:16 pm

Akane by far. The majority of Ranma fan fiction always seems to portray her as the Great Evil of the series, ignoring the fact that very nearly every female in the series hits guys they like. Even Nodoka is shown slamming Genma over the head repeatedly with a wash basin in the flashback where the suicide contract is explained. The stories rarely ever mention the kind, calm, and caring side of her that the manga shows so much of.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:24 pm

FriendlyEL wrote:Eh? From what I saw it's all over the place. I've seen everything from Ryoga being neutered, having his eyes slowly torn out, or Pchan becoming a source of pork for the Tendo "special dinner" or becoming the professional Akane's cooking tester, all as humor.

This is a different bashing all together. I thought you meant to "Bash" as it "portray as a complete bad guy". Akane has a lot of fics doing that. None of the fics I've read have Ryoga doing that, except for this Ranma/WoT crossover where Ryoga and Mousse gang up on Ranma (and Ryouga was uncharacteristically bloodthristy there).

Except for Ryoga rape fics, but I avoid rape fics in general, and Ranma 1/2 lemons do nothing for me.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:54 am

Akane, mostly because the fics that bash her make her out to be the psycho bitch queen from hell and because she's the character who gets bashed the most.
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Climhazard » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:40 am

Akane, Genma, Ryoga. In recent times almost impossible find fic that not bash them.
- Carry the Emperor´s will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

- Even in death I still serve! (C) Dreadnought
Climhazard
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Next

Return to Specific Series: Ranma