Why is everyone so DOWN on Nodoka???

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Postby Yarrow » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:43 pm

The problem I have with Nodoka is that she's prepared to hold her son to a seppuku contract that he 'entered into' when he was so young there was no way he could have understood or consented to it.
Yarrow
Senshi Candidate

Postby Dark Magic » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:03 pm

Yarrow wrote:The problem I have with Nodoka is that she's prepared to hold her son to a seppuku contract that he 'entered into' when he was so young there was no way he could have understood or consented to it.

Nodoka always struct me like she was just holding that over Ranma's head to get him to do what she wanted. I don't think she ever intended to make Ranma actually commit seppuku.
Dark Magic
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Yarrow » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:33 pm

But she was going on about it before she knew Ranma was back (or before she found out he was Ranko). Why would she do that if it was only a ploy to get Ranma to do things?
Yarrow
Senshi Candidate

Postby WG_Writer » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:22 am

Same reason she was at the Tendo's she knew they were there, ad they would return. She could have been planting the seeds of fear and control.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Re: Why is everyone so DOWN on Nodoka???

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:39 am

Under the category of sometimes anyone can see the truth:
Greybara wrote:nodoka would force her son to kill himself at the drop of a hat if he didnt turn out to be man enough! shes going to MURDER her son if he dosent turn out exactly as she pleases! this shows she has absalutly no true love for his son, hes entirely and uterly an object, nodoka is mentaly no more than a physcotic 4 year old who cuts off the head of her doll because it wasnt the exact 'present' she wanted,

Everyone else who threatens Ranma's life, he can counter, either through begging, cleverness, or combat skills. Nodoka can kill him any time she wants to press the issue and he has no defense. And her criteria need make no sense to anyone except her.
This is perceived by an American audience as evil, while the Japanese only see her as slightly off.
Daniel
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby BlueDragon » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:18 pm

Well thanx for voicing opinions, and while I won’t try and say your ideas are stupid or wrong. I ask the question; is it possible that you are stuck in your opinion because of a European morality bias. I will again insist that all these arguments may have a fair justification, but is that then the deciding factor. Or even the possibility that my own general idea’s may be the correct ones here. The one guy I knew who had lived in Japan at the time Ranma was being aired, only got into arguments with me about the idea that Nodoka had no skill with a katana. He never seemed concerned with the idea that she was a massively unfit parent. As a result my opinions of her are slightly swayed by his opinions or lack there of on this subject.
BlueDragon
Senshi Candidate

Postby Zwzn » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:42 pm

Daniel Jess Gibson wrote:Everyone else who threatens Ranma's life, he can counter, either through begging, cleverness, or combat skills. Nodoka can kill him any time she wants to press the issue and he has no defense. And her criteria need make no sense to anyone except her.
This is perceived by an American audience as evil, while the Japanese only see her as slightly off.
Daniel
I'm an American, and I don't think she is evil. I think she is insane. She is a threat to everyone around her. She can't even hold a sword, and nearly kills people with it when it slips out of her hands. She should be kept away from sharp objects. She even makes the Kunos look sane at times.
Basicly if she was trying to keep Genma in line she has no reason to not tell Ranma that.
One also does not draw a weapon unless on intends to use it.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby BlueDragon » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:05 pm

Zwzn wrote:I'm an American, and I don't think she is evil. I think she is insane. She is a threat to everyone around her. She can't even hold a sword, and nearly kills people with it when it slips out of her hands. She should be kept away from sharp objects. She even makes the Kunos look sane at times.
Basicly if she was trying to keep Genma in line she has no reason to not tell Ranma that.
One also does not draw a weapon unless on intends to use it.

I'll stay away from the debate over her skills or lack thereof. I can agree with the idea of if she was aware before hand of the contract, it would seem to me to be an almost giving this would have been used to keep her husband in line. But her telling Ranma that it was just a controlling ploy may not in her best interest. It is possible she is concealing that fact just so she still has the ability to keep her husband in line. She has know idea until much later in the Manga of some of the issues facing Ranma. And if she is worried about keeping Genma control, she may feel its better to let her son think the worst is a possibility, even if she won’t enforce it. Just to keep Genma in line.
BlueDragon
Senshi Candidate

Postby Dark Magic » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:38 pm

To my knowledge she sides with Genma on most things doesn't she. Doesn't she agree with Genma on things like The Tendo/Saotome Pledge.
Dark Magic
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Adyen » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:47 am

Surprisingly, I don't see Nodoka in any negative light at all.
Granted from a Western view she'd be a certified loon, but in countries where Honor is literally more important than life (that's where the saying "Death before Dishonor" comes from), I'd go as far to say that Nokoda has a right to make sure Ranma grew up to expectations or die.
Of course, this is mainly because of the contact that Genma signed, giving technically all rights to decide how Ranma will become to Nodoka. Not a smart move on his part, really... But hey, who's ever said Genma was smart?
So, does that mean Nodoka's methods are correct? I don't think so, because the way she went about it made her look foolish. But certainly I don't see her in a very negative light.
Adyen
Senshi Cadet

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:50 am

Adyen wrote:Of course, this is mainly because of the contact that Genma signed, giving technically all rights to decide how Ranma will become to Nodoka. Not a smart move on his part, really... But hey, who's ever said Genma was smart?

No opinion in the topic from me, but I would like to clarify somethings. Genma never signed anything. The whole "contract" was just a verbal promise from him.
BlueDragon wrote:Also her son was taken from her at a very young age, and we all can believe Genma would have done that to get away from her to train his son, maybe Nodoka was never even consulted before hand. And that contract was the last contact she had with them…

This is also false, Genma states just before the promise that he must take Ranma away to train.
The following pages clarify my points:
Volume 22, Chapter 3, Page 41
Volume 22, Chapter 3, Page 44
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Postby Trimatter » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:15 am

Cyber_Skaarj wrote:
No opinion in the topic from me, but I would like to clarify somethings. Genma never signed anything. The whole "contract" was just a verbal promise from him.

He did sign a contract. Not only with his name but with his thumb print too. Here:
http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/ ... 2-047.html
Old Fart at Large
Trimatter
Senshi Candidate

Postby nodregah » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:02 am

I dont remember who said it, but they hit the nail on the head when they talked about countries where the term "Death before Dishonor" comes from. Just for a little clarity, JAPAN IS ONE OF THOSE COUNTRIES.
nodregah
Senshi Cadet

Postby bissek » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:18 am

Unfortunately, you could argue that the entire cast of Ranma should commit seppuku for dishonorable actions. Akane attacks her fiance with potentially lethal force for poor reason and never once apologizes. If you accept the fanon idea notion that Nabiki's schemes help pay the bills, she'd be at best honor-neutral (And this board has thoroughly debunked that theory). Kasumi knows about all the stuff her family does and never attempts to rein them in, which in a way makes her even worse.
The schemes of the fiancees, rivals and the Dopey Duo don't need explanations of how their actions are dishonorable.
The thing that makes the contract dishonorable is that 1: Expecting a contract that the signer couldn't read, let alone understand the implications of, is hardly a binding concept, and 2: The terms are arbitrary and highly subjective. If Ranma had been tricked into signing the contract at ten instead of five, and the term 'manly' had been clearly defined, then I would consider it a nasty trick, but technically binding.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby ToastedPine » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:53 am

I think people are getting away from the main point of this topic: a reminder of the possibilities in character interpretation, and how everyone should think for themselves to decide what's best.
If you don't like what you see happening with Nodoka, then let your writing speak for you.
For the record, there are plenty of fics where Nodoka is written as a saint, or at the very least, a good yet powerless mother.
A Wasted Wish is my favorite Nodoka reading because it's so darn original without coloring outside the lines.
ToastedPine
Chibi Sailor Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Series: Ranma