Ranma fights that would be fun to see

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Ranma fights that would be fun to see

Postby FriendlyEL » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:58 pm

I know. I'm not being nice trying to get the all the attention in this message board. Anyways, going off of the more psychological side of Ranma 1/2, anyone have ideas of fights that would be fun to watch, and possible opinions of who would be the winner. Some I thought of were:

Mousse vs. Ukyo

Happosai vs. Saffron

Monster Taro vs. Ryoga (when he's in a really, really, depressed mood)
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby claymade » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:39 pm

Ooh... *rubs hands gleefully* Are we allowed to include crossover fights as well?

Ranma vs. Doctor Tofu: we know the latter is a master, but he never really gets to show what he's made of at all in the manga. This is one fight I'd have liked to have seen.

Monster Taro vs. the Oroichi: duel of the monsters!

Mousse vs. Sailor Venus: the chain masters collide!

Gosunkugi vs. Sasuke: the inept grudge match over the episodes the ninja stole from the voodoo practitioner!

Hinako vs. Herb: the dragon-born warrior claims to be the ultimate master of ki techniques--but would he be able to counter Hinako's attack?
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby bissek » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:54 pm

Ranma vs Cassandra Cain (Batgirl II): Two people who spent their entire childhood learning how to fight and pretty much nothing else. One is a master at adapting to any style, and the other a master at reading her opponent's intentions.
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:05 pm

I myself have never seen Sailor Moon or Batgirl II. Could someone else care to join in and answer those?

Ranma vs. Dr. Tofu: Actually I'd like to see Dr. Tofu vs. anyone. I never had a clue what his abilities are. However, given the fact that at the beginning he was able to creep up on Ranma, he clearly may have been able to use stealth against him at that point. That may be an entirely different situation after he learns Genma's forbidden techniques though.

Monster Taro vs. the Oroichi: I know that Ranma and Akane had a tougher time against the Oroichi, I think that most of it was due to the fact that the stakes her higher and they had to get the moss off rather than simply knock it out. Taro would probably win, I think, due to reach, ability to fly, and speed. But that's just me.

Gosunkugi vs. Sasuke: Saw a fanfiction do this before. Basically, Gosunkugi is a spellcaster, but an unskilled one. Sasuke is a ninja, but an unskilled ninja. Still, he at least has some skill at all, so he can at least beat Gosunkugi.

Hinako vs. Herb: Only a prediction, but I think that unless Herb gives off an incredibly massive blast that will overwhelm Hinako, she would probably win, unless Herb already knows about her five yen attack and finds a way to counterattack it.

So no opinion of how Mousse vs. Ukyo, Happosai vs. Saffron, or Monster Taro vs. Ryoga (when he's in a really, really, depressed mood) would go?
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby pspinler » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:16 pm

FriendlyEL wrote:So no opinion of how Mousse vs. Ukyo

Too close to call. They both have a selection of ranged weapons, close in weapons, and modest skill in using them. Who gets the drop on who, or alternately who's better prepared, I'm guessing.

Happosai vs. Saffron

Happi, if he gets serious. No real harm to either and Happi leaving the scene if he's not serious. I suspect that Happosai could take anyone of the Ranma cast if he were serious about it.

or Monster Taro vs. Ryoga (when he's in a really, really, depressed mood) would go?

Taro in a single splash. Ryoga's cursed form is just to big of a weakness, and Taro knows about it and is ruthless enough to just use it straight off. Recall that Taro carries water around with him (for himself) and squirts ink in monster form, which might also trigger a curse.

EDIT:

For my contribution, Konatsu vrs Kodachi!

-- Pat
Last edited by pspinler on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pspinler
Senshi Cadet

Postby rmt » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:16 pm

FriendlyEL wrote:So no opinion of how Mousse vs. Ukyo, Happosai vs. Saffron, or Monster Taro vs. Ryoga (when he's in a really, really, depressed mood) would go?

Happousai vs Saffron: One flambed pervert coming right up!

Monster Tarou vs Ryouga: I'd say Tarou. His monster form is quick enough to dodge lightning, so he would be definitely fast enough to keep out of range of a PSSH. Also, the PSSH does seem to require a certain amount of time to recharge, so that's when Tarou would be likely to strike. Also, bear in mind that Ranma was able to stay conscious after several PSSHs, so the impact of the ki-ball (unless it was really huge) wouldn't have too much of an impact on monster-Tarou.
rmt
Senshi Cadet

Postby claymade » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:36 pm

FriendlyEL wrote:So no opinion of how Mousse vs. Ukyo, Happosai vs. Saffron, or Monster Taro vs. Ryoga (when he's in a really, really, depressed mood) would go?

Are you sure you want to go into the outcomes? Fastest way to derail this thread, I triple guarantee you.

Especially for the crossover ones, which have been argued to immense extent in other threads. The in-canon ones might be another story, but there's so many variables in a crossover matchup that the author themselves have to set in doing a crossover that it's an incredibly frustrating exercise to really say anything with anything approaching certainty. (i.e. depending on how you integrated the various attributes of the series you could have almost any outcome you wanted in most cases)

So I'd suggest we pass on the crossover ones, personally.

rmt wrote:Monster Tarou vs Ryouga: I'd say Tarou. His monster form is quick enough to dodge lightning, so he would be definitely fast enough to keep out of range of a PSSH. Also, the PSSH does seem to require a certain amount of time to recharge, so that's when Tarou would be likely to strike. Also, bear in mind that Ranma was able to stay conscious after several PSSHs, so the impact of the ki-ball (unless it was really huge) wouldn't have too much of an impact on monster-Tarou.

Agreed--he doesn't want to use the Perfect Version unless he's at Mt. Horisan levels of depression.

The normal version, though would be ideal for a smaller, more nimble fighter to keep out of arms reach and keep pelting the much larger target. And given that he was holding his own pretty well one-on-one against Monster Taro even pre-Shi Shi Hokodan, I personally think the Lost Boy has a decent chance pulling it off. I'd call it as one of those "could easily go either way" matches.

Taro in a single splash. Ryoga's cursed form is just to big of a weakness, and Taro knows about it and is ruthless enough to just use it straight off. Recall that Taro carries water around with him (for himself) and squirts ink in monster form, which might also trigger a curse.

He tries it in his first fight with Ryouga. Doesn't work, though--Ryouga is too quick with his umbrella, even from a complete surprise attack. The ink would be more dangerous--if it does trigger the curse.

EDIT: Which it doesn't, if the inked-yet-non-panda-fied Genma is any indication.
Last edited by claymade on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:51 pm

Well, assuming that say, Akari dumped Ryoga, he went over to Akane to finally declare his love, who found out he was Pchan and told him she will neuter him if she ever sees him again, walks off in depression and multiple times falls in a pond and just barely get away from multiple times when he was about to be eaten by wild wolves (running with broken ribs out of their mouth) depression. Just think of him having the worst time possible. In that extreme case, he might be able to put a dent on the beast.

pspinler wrote:Too close to call. They both have a selection of ranged weapons, close in weapons, and modest skill in using them. Who gets the drop on who, or alternately who's better prepared, I'm guessing.

Then again, the first time the two were aquanted, Ryoga got in a fight with Ukyo where he just barely didn't hit her with a devistating attack (which didn't land only because Ranma stopped the fight), which I'm pretty sure would have seriously hurt her or knocked her out, and Mousse is supposedly about equal to Ryoga. Still, I think the results would be interesting to see.

For my contribution, Konatsu vrs Kodachi!

Kodachi... I have a hard time understanding what her skill level is. At one point, she clearly gave girl type Ranma a run for his money in the gymnastics tournament. Then again, she was easily overtaken by Akane who she attempted to cripple while the latter was exhausted. If she uses the right tactics, I guess she stands a chance, but otherwise she's in trouble.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby claymade » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:58 pm

FriendlyEL wrote:Kodachi... I have a hard time understanding what her skill level is. At one point, she clearly gave girl type Ranma a run for his money in the gymnastics tournament. Then again, she was easily overtaken by Akane who she attempted to cripple while the latter was exhausted. If she uses the right tactics, I guess she stands a chance, but otherwise she's in trouble.

Takahashi waaaaaay stacked the deck against Ranma in that encounter. He was tired enough to be barely conscious (probably running on pure adrenaline) after a bruising, all-night constant battle with Ryouga, in his weaker form, chained to Ryouga who was constantly trying to thwart him, in a situation where he couldn't use any of his standard attacks--and trying to take it easy on Kodachi as a girl. And he still would have ended it fairly easily if Kodachi hadn't been cheating to boot.

Konatsu, though... he fights Ranma to a definite draw in much less restrictive circumstances. So, Konatsu, definitely.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby rmt » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:00 pm

claymade wrote:He tries it in his first fight with Ryouga. Doesn't work, though--Ryouga is too quick with his umbrella, even from a complete surprise attack. The ink would be more dangerous--if it does trigger the curse.

EDIT: Which it doesn't, if the inked-yet-non-panda-fied Genma is any indication.

I missed pspinler's post the first time around.

I was about to say that the ink must be warm, coming from inside his body, but then again he squirts female Ranma in the face with it and it doesn't turn him back into a guy.

*shrug* I guess ink doesn't count as a Jusenkyou triggering substance.

FriendlyEL wrote:Mousse is supposedly about equal to Ryoga

I'm not sure he is. Ranma, with the exception of that one pre-BT fight, has trouble with Ryouga.

The only time Ranma had any trouble with Mousse was when he was in his girl form, before he was used to fighting in it. Ranma won that fight pretty quickly once he had been changed back to a guy.
rmt
Senshi Cadet

Postby claymade » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:34 pm

FriendlyEL wrote:Mousse is supposedly about equal to Ryoga

They've only really gone at it in earnest once that I can remember, and the result was not in Mousse's favor. To be fair, though, in a contest between a close-quarters bruiser and long-range sniper, being chained at the legs is, shall we say, a bit unfair to one side of the equation.

But yeah, Ranma does tend to have more trouble with Ryouga. Still, he has a lot more trouble with Mousse than with Ukyo--even with Shampoo's sabotage of their fight, he still seems to be in actual danger here.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:53 pm

The argument I have against people's arguement that Ukyo was a big danger against Ranma is that Ranma was unwilling to hurt his childhood friend at the beginning of their match. Once he looses his patience and goes all at it, well, I don't recall it going to well for Ukyo.

rmt wrote:The only time Ranma had any trouble with Mousse was when he was in his girl form, before he was used to fighting in it

He didn't have much trouble against Shampoo at all in his girl form, and he must have been very not used to his girl form at that point.

Speaking of Shampoo, how do you think a serious fight between Ukyo and Shampoo would go?

Another one, how much of a chance exactly would Akane stand against Ukyo.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby rmt » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:05 pm

claymade wrote:even with Shampoo's sabotage of their fight, he still seems to be in actual danger here.

But not for long. By the next page, he's turned the fight around again.

FriendlyEL wrote:He didn't have much trouble against Shampoo at all in his girl form, and he must have been very not used to his girl form at that point.

Perhaps Shampoo really sucks!

In her defense, she had just been fighting in a tournament for some unknown period of time. She may have been tired. On the other hand, when she did try to defend herself seriously against Ranma in the reversal jewel story, she was defeated quickly and effortlessly.

For the Mousse fight, the main trouble Ranma had trouble was when he underestimated the height differences (which is silly, because Mousse is taller than him anyway IIRC). That height difference isn't a factor between girl-Ranma and Shampoo.
rmt
Senshi Cadet

Postby claymade » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:13 pm

rmt wrote:But not for long. By the next page, he's turned the fight around again.

And by the page after that, he's commenting on how dangerous Mousse is.

Of course Ranma turns the tables in the end. All I'm saying is that a 100% Ukyo never managed to draw that kind of reaction from him that a damaged Mousse did.

I'd place Shampoo and Ukyo at essentially the same level. The only time I can think of where they really go at it is, again, at the hot springs, and it's pretty inconclusive. They hold their own against each other well enough.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby rmt » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:25 pm

claymade wrote:All I'm saying is that a 100% Ukyo never managed to draw that kind of reaction from him that a damaged Mousse did.

Definitely not. I was arguing Mousse compared to Ryouga. Ryouga and Ranma are, IMO, pretty much at the same level. Mousse isn't. Shampoo and Ukyou are lower again.
rmt
Senshi Cadet

Next

Return to Specific Series: Ranma