Ranma fights that would be fun to see

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Postby FriendlyEL » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:43 pm

claymade wrote: Still, he'd probably be able to put up a roughly Ranma-level fight if he stayed human--except for the higher-level techniques like the HSH, which he hasn't shown any evidence of having.

In that case, I may have to add if I remember right that the HSH techniques were Ranma's saving virtue in that fight.

Lime is the big bruiser that Ryouga fights.

Thank you for clearing that out for me. May I ask why you feel Taro would be better off fighting as a human?

And that reminds me that it might be interesting to see how human Taro would fair against Ryoga or Mousse (assuming there's no water involved).
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby claymade » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:28 pm

FriendlyEL wrote:Thank you for clearing that out for me. May I ask why you feel Taro would be better off fighting as a human?

The monster form gives immense durability and power, but at the cost of agility and making a huge target of yourself. Thus, there are two types of opponents that the monster form is terrible against:

A) Faster ranged fighters who can deliver attacks powerful enough to hurt your monster form from outside your reach (e.g. Herb).

B) Fighters who can actually out-brute your monster form.

Lime is arguably significantly stronger than Taro's monster form--recall that Ryouga was able to trade blows on a fairly even basis with Monster Taro during their brief one-on-one, shrugging off at least one of Taro's hits with little more than an "damn it!" Compare that to how much damage Lime's attacks do to him.

http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/Book24/RM24-086.gif
http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/Book24/RM24-096.gif

In fact, it's a measure of how monstrous he is that even hitting with his upper arm he has enough force to send Ryoua flying and injure him straight through his block.

http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/Book24/RM24-088.gif

The last thing Taro wants to do against a foe like that is to throw away his dodging advantage.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:52 pm

So, assuming he's not taking the succubus powerup, I'd like to see a fight between Konatsu and Mousse.

So, anyone think that Mousse or Ryoga could handle human Taro?
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby rmt » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:03 pm

FriendlyEL wrote:So, assuming he's not taking the succubus powerup, I'd like to see a fight between Konatsu and Mousse.

So, anyone think that Mousse or Ryoga could handle human Taro?

Ryouga, perhaps. Tarou's biggest strength IMO is that he is very fast, and Ryouga would have trouble laying a finger on him. OTOH, if Ryouga keeps his cool and corners Tarou or grabs hold of him (the way he has done to Ranma in the past), I think Tarou will go down pretty quick.

What's your opinion? You keep asking the questions, but don't often provide opinions of your own. :-)
rmt
Senshi Cadet

Postby FriendlyEL » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:11 pm

Mousse I think may have enough speed to keep up with Taro, and has proven that he is fairly tactical. I think that if he came equipped with enough weapons and had a good enough idea, he'd probably do okay.

I wonder how much Taro could hurt Ryoga in his human form. Like claymade said he was able to shove off monster Taro's punches with relative ease, so I have doubts that his punches would hurt him that much. I could see Taro land a few lightning fast kicks and punches, look at Ryoga, and wonder why he doesn't seem all that hurt.

But as far as Konatsu, Mousse may be able to handle him in regular mode, but if he had the succubus that he had in his introduction, considering that he's about the same as Ranma, probably not.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby rmt » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:27 pm

FriendlyEL wrote:Mousse I think may have enough speed to keep up with Taro, and has proven that he is fairly tactical. I think that if he came equipped with enough weapons and had a good enough idea, he'd probably do okay.

Perhaps. I'm trying to think of an example when Mousse was actually able to catch Ranma in his chains or with his distance weapons (not counting when Ranma was weak in the HSH arc), but I can't. If Mousse can't catch Ranma, he won't be able to catch Tarou either.

I wonder how much Taro could hurt Ryoga in his human form. Like claymade said he was able to shove off monster Taro's punches with relative ease, so I have doubts that his punches would hurt him that much. I could see Taro land a few lightning fast kicks and punches, look at Ryoga, and wonder why he doesn't seem all that hurt.

If you look at that manga scan, it wasn't a punch that Ryouga was hit with (since Tarou's hand is still open), but something more like a slap. But as claymade pointed out, while the blow hurt, it certainly didn't injure Ryouga in any meaningful way. An actual punch would probably hurt more, but it's hard to say how much damage it would do to Ryouga since we never see it.

I do agree that Tarou's biggest problem against Ryouga is that he will have difficulty hurting him. Ranma can hurt Ryouga, and while I think that Ranma might be a bit stronger than Tarou, there really isn't any evidence that he is significantly so. IMO, Tarou's best tactic against Ryouga would be to stay out of reach, keep him angry (so that Ryouga doesn't think straight), and just try to wear him down in pretty much the same way that Ranma does.

It's a fight I really could see go either way.
rmt
Senshi Cadet

Postby claymade » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:35 pm

FriendlyEL wrote:Mousse I think may have enough speed to keep up with Taro, and has proven that he is fairly tactical. I think that if he came equipped with enough weapons and had a good enough idea, he'd probably do okay.

Speed is definitely a given, considering that he was even able to hold off Mint, arguably the fastest fighter in the whole series--with the possible exception of Cologne and/or Happi.

And, as nuclear death frog alludes to, his odds also get better against any of the regulars than they used to be if you count his late-manga strength power-up from the Jizo statue as applying.

But as far as Konatsu, Mousse may be able to handle him in regular mode, but if he had the succubus that he had in his introduction, considering that he's about the same as Ranma, probably not.

I don't think the drug actually boosted his skill any per se--just his killer instinct. So, while he might not be as deadly in terms of going for the kill and such, I still think that he'd be at least similarly skilled if pushed to a fight in any situation.

EDIT:

rmt wrote:I do agree that Tarou's biggest problem against Ryouga is that he will have difficulty hurting him. Ranma can hurt Ryouga, and while I think that Ranma might be a bit stronger than Tarou, there really isn't any evidence that he is significantly so. IMO, Tarou's best tactic against Ryouga would be to stay out of reach, keep him angry (so that Ryouga doesn't think straight), and just try to wear him down in pretty much the same way that Ranma does.

It's a fight I really could see go either way.

Agreed, for the most part. It has much the same dynamics as Ranma vs. Ryouga.

Human Taro's other weakness in that situation will be his (apparent) lack of a ki blast. Considering how easily Ryouga was able to waste Ranma with the Shi Shi Hokodan by keeping him at range, that'll be a tough hurdle to overcome if Ryouga decides to go that route.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby runnerz » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:48 pm

One Fight that always appeals to me is a fully ascended Saffron vs. Galaxia. Galaxia looked to be produce power on par with Vegeta in his fight against when he fought Android #19 when she killed Princess Kakyuu in the anime, and Saffron was evidently not full-powered when he took on Ranma. It seems like an even fight on paper, though it would have to be tested.
Love is a battlefield. So is Sailor Moon. When Josh finishes Gunslinger Moon, then the battlefield will be bloody too.
runnerz
Senshi Cadet

Postby mondu_the_fat » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:30 am

runnerz wrote:Saffron was evidently not full-powered when he took on Ranma.

As was previously pointed out (in this thread, I think) Saffron was already at full power when he fought Ranma.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:51 am

FriendlyEL wrote:But as far as Konatsu, Mousse may be able to handle him in regular mode, but if he had the succubus that he had in his introduction, considering that he's about the same as Ranma, probably not.

Hmm. IIRC, Konatsu is one of the best all-around fighters in the series, although he's no powerhouse. It's just that he doesn't fight very much. He's a very talented ninja, and has a bag of tricks that Ranma had significant trouble with. The reason their conflict ended was not because there was a winner, but because the focus shifted from Konatsu getting revenge for the destruction of the Sexy Kunoichi Teahouse to freeing him from the influence of his stepmother and stepsisters.

If you compare how well Konatsu did against Ranma, and how Mousse typically does against Ranma, I'd say that Mousse wouldn't be a noteworthy challenge for Konatsu.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby FriendlyEL » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:38 am

runnerz wrote: One Fight that always appeals to me is a fully ascended Saffron vs. Galaxia. Galaxia looked to be produce power on par with Vegeta in his fight against when he fought Android #19 when she killed Princess Kakyuu in the anime

I never saw Galaxia, but if the comparison is to a Dragonball Z charachter I find it unlikely that even Saffron could take him on. Dragonball Z charachters don't destroy mountains with single blasts, they destroy planets.

If we're going to talk about crossovers, Monster Taro vs. Shukoku Gaara would be a fun one, but sadly I think Gaara would win, due to the fact that it has more healing abilities and I doubt Taro would be quick minded enough to aim for Gaara on the Shukoku's head until he gets knocked out.

lwf58 wrote: If you compare how well Konatsu did against Ranma, and how Mousse typically does against Ranma, I'd say that Mousse wouldn't be a noteworthy challenge for Konatsu.

I actually tend to find Ranma as thinking of Mousse as one of his greater rivals martial arts wise. He did struggle against him the first few times they faught, but then again he vastly improved since then when he battles Konatsu so I see where you're coming from.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:32 pm

One of his greater rivals? :shock:

The only reason Ranma had any problems at all with him in the beginning was because a) He was splashing around Spring of Drowned Duck water, b) he'd kidnapped Akane and that made Ranma hold back some, and c) Ranma was stuck as a girl and wasn't yet used to fighting with shorter arms and legs.

Mousse is a one-trick pony. He never really grows in the series. From his first appearance to his last, all he ever uses is the weapons-up-the-sleeves thing and cheats. While his attitude changes a little by the end, neither he or his martial arts ever really matures any.

If Ranma admires him for anything, it would be his unswerving devotion to Shampoo and his determination to not give up until he wins her. But as a martial artist, he's only slightly better than Kuno (who can give him a run for his money in a fight). And he certainly can't be given any points for thinking things out, or he wouldn't have that idiotic "if I beat Ranma, Shampoo will be mine" notion in his head.

Mousse against any of the three Kunos is an even fight. He might even be able to hold his own against any two of them at once. Mousse against Ukyou or Shampoo is an even fight. Mousse can take Akane pretty much at will.

Mousse against Ranma, Ryouga, or Konatsu - or any of the later antagonists like Herb or Taro - is going to leave him with a nasty set of bruises at the end. The farther along the series gets, the worse the set will be.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Zwzn » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:50 pm

runnerz wrote:One Fight that always appeals to me is a fully ascended Saffron vs. Galaxia. Galaxia looked to be produce power on par with Vegeta in his fight against when he fought Android #19 when she killed Princess Kakyuu in the anime, and Saffron was evidently not full-powered when he took on Ranma. It seems like an even fight on paper, though it would have to be tested.
This may sound odd, but I didn't think Galaxia/Chaos was shown to be more powerful then Sailor Venus, or Moon(without actively drawing power from outside sources) at most. Galaxia/Chaos Destroyed/killed things by removing the star seeds as I remember. In theory Galaxia/Chaos(anime at least) could be no more powerful then Akane, but just know some dangerous tricks. Rama, Ryoga, Herb, and Saturn, and Saffron Do what they do with brute force as far as I can tell, and it might have just been me, but Chaos/Galaxia seemed afraid of fighting Saturn(and maybe Pluto) even without their weapons to me. Galaxia fight any of the NWC in a duel where she will not or can not take their star seeds until she has defeated the other fighter would be kind of funny. Think a Mortal Kombat type fight/dual. The star seed grab would be just like that one guy stealing the other fighter's soul when that announcer says "finish him/her".
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby runnerz » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:24 pm

Deleted due to violation of rule 1-F.
Love is a battlefield. So is Sailor Moon. When Josh finishes Gunslinger Moon, then the battlefield will be bloody too.
runnerz
Senshi Cadet

Postby FriendlyEL » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:49 pm

lwf58 wrote:Mousse against any of the three Kunos is an even fight. He might even be able to hold his own against any two of them at once. Mousse against Ukyou or Shampoo is an even fight. Mousse can take Akane pretty much at will.

Evenly matched with the Kunos? That's probabaly going a little far. I think someone else mentioned that even if he's not at Ranma's level, he could still wipe the floor with Ukyo.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Series: Ranma