Ranma fights that would be fun to see

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Postby rmt » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:53 pm

FriendlyEL wrote:Evenly matched with the Kunos? That's probabaly going a little far. I think someone else mentioned that even if he's not at Ranma's level, he could still wipe the floor with Ukyo.

It wasn't me that said it, but yep. Ranma had some bother with Mousse, albeit not much (due the factors that lwf mentioned). Ukyou, like Kunou, he pretty much wiped the floor with as soon as he stopped messing around.
rmt
Senshi Cadet

Postby claymade » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:43 pm

lwf58 wrote:One of his greater rivals? :shock:

The only reason Ranma had any problems at all with him in the beginning was because a) He was splashing around Spring of Drowned Duck water, b) he'd kidnapped Akane and that made Ranma hold back some, and c) Ranma was stuck as a girl and wasn't yet used to fighting with shorter arms and legs.

I think you're selling him way short. Mousse doesn't have any of the above-mentioned advantages in their final confrontation after the SoD Duck arc. In fact, he's fighting at a disadvantage due to being blown up repeatedly by Shampoo's treachery--and yet he still manages to scare Ranma with his attacks, even injured.

http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/Book10/RM10-137.jpg
http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/Book10/RM10-139.jpg

Ranma's appraisal of Mousse as a foe is "talk about dangerous...", not "no problem."

Mousse is a one-trick pony. He never really grows in the series. From his first appearance to his last, all he ever uses is the weapons-up-the-sleeves thing and cheats. While his attitude changes a little by the end, neither he or his martial arts ever really matures any.

Not necessarily. Just because he doesn't learn any "special techniques" doesn't mean he's not improving at the punch-kick-and-slash level. Mountain-destroying ki blasts aren't the be-all or the end-all of martial arts in the Ranmaverse--Ranma's defeat of the Perfect Shi Shi Hokodan with a punch being a case in point.

But as a martial artist, he's only slightly better than Kuno (who can give him a run for his money in a fight).

Did this happen? When was this?

Mousse against any of the three Kunos is an even fight. He might even be able to hold his own against any two of them at once. Mousse against Ukyou or Shampoo is an even fight. Mousse can take Akane pretty much at will.

Considering neither Ukyo nor Shampoo ever manage to even so much as perturb Ranma when he's taking them anything remotely approaching seriously, I think it's a pretty safe bet that Mousse could utterly destroy either of the two.

It's true that Ranma comes out of his fights with Ryouga usually a lot worse than his fights with Mousse. However, that's actually rather deceptive. "Almost" losing a bruising fistfight looks a lot worse in the end result than "almost" getting impaled by a flurry of knives.

But if someone of Ranma's level has to work hard to avoid getting pincushioned, then I'd put someone of Ukyo's level in the category of "soon-to-be-mistaken-for-sewing-supplies" should Mousse ever go all-out against her.

Mousse against Ranma, Ryouga, or Konatsu - or any of the later antagonists like Herb or Taro - is going to leave him with a nasty set of bruises at the end. The farther along the series gets, the worse the set will be.

If it's farther than the Jizo arc, you can factor his strength "training" there into the equation. Not to mention that he holds his own against the superhuman speed demon Mint even before then.

Sure, he's not better than Ranma or Ryouga. But I think he's definitely in their league--albiet toward the shallow end of it.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:46 am

Ranma's appraisal of Mousse as a foe is "talk about dangerous...",

As in 'psycho', not as in 'skilled'. Been a while since I've read that bit, but the dialogue certainly makes it look like Ranma was planning to throw that fight.

As in, 'damn I was planning to let him win, but he apparently defines 'win' as 'kill''.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby claymade » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:35 am

Pale Wolf wrote:As in 'psycho', not as in 'skilled'. Been a while since I've read that bit, but the dialogue certainly makes it look like Ranma was planning to throw that fight.

As in, 'damn I was planning to let him win, but he apparently defines 'win' as 'kill''.

I really don't think so. Even if he ever was really willing to throw the fight--and that seems rather unlikely, by the time Mousse really starts after him, he's already stated his intention to fight full force.

And even if you wanted to argue he went back on that later on (though giving no indication of doing so) when Mousse didn't agree, what's far more telling is simply the look of fear that's on his face as he's trying to avoid Mousse's techniques. Or his heavy breathing when he finally does manage to take him out. Taking all that together, I think it's pretty clear the way "dangerous" is supposed to be interpreted.

"Dangerous" and "murderous" are two linked yet fundamentally distinct concepts. To argue that Ranma really meant the latter but said the former by mistake is a rather tough sell--especially when the surrounding evidence so clearly corroborates that he meant what he actually said.

EDIT: Not to mention that his subsequent words make it even more obvious: "I'd better bury him deep before he wakes up!" makes no sense whatsoever if Mousse is only "dangerous" to Ranma if Ranma intends to throw the fight.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:30 am

If you look at the very next page, you see exactly how scared Ranma really was.

So yes, I agree with Pale Wolf. When he said "talk about dangerous", he was talking about the fact that Mousse was swinging loads of lethal weapons in a simple challenge match.

Look at the fight as a whole: The only time Ranma is purely on the defensive is when Mousse first uses the hidden weapons technique to suddenly sprout dozens of lethal weapons. That startles him, because it's just supposed to be a challenge match, not a duel to the death. Whenever Ranma decides to fight back in the match, he outclasses Mousse badly. It usually only takes him one or two moves to put Mousse down.

What Ranma gives a tip of the hat to is the same thing he grants to Kuno and Ryouga. Mousse may go down, but he doesn't stay there.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby FriendlyEL » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:07 am

Are you sure Kuno's never out for the kill against Ranma ("smite the evil Ranma")? If he is, then why doesn't Ranma ever refer to him as "dangerous"?
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:28 am

Kuno almost never assaults Ranma with live steel. It only happened, IIRC, something like two times in the whole series. And when Kuno challenges Ranma, he generally fights according to the terms of the challenge. He never accepts the penalty of losing, but he more or less fights fairly according to his own warped way of thinking.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby FriendlyEL » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:03 pm

I suppose for the most part Kuno maybe just wants to prove himself and make Ranma fear him so he'll stop getting in the way of his "beloveds" more than anything. Still, it's clear that he sees Kuno as a joke more than anything. I still say from the looks of it Mousse seemed like a decently higher threat to Ranma than Mousse or Akane would.

Has Ranma ever considered Ryoga "dangerous" though? He's one of the closest things Ranma has to a real rival, even if he's not out to kill as much.

Gah, this is getting off course again. Oh well. We're starting to run low on fights I think. But another one I'm thinking of is, just for some giggles, is Sasuke vs. Tsubasa. Neither one's a particularly competent fighter, so it could go either way. Still, Tsubasa is good with disguises, so as long as he hides himself and gets Sasuke in the right position, it could probably work out.

I thought a little about an Akane vs. Sasuke one, but I somehow doubt that he'd give Akane much trouble.

EDIT: Actually, speaking of Akane, one fighter I could see being about even with her is Akari. Part of me thinks that maybe the pig trainer could do some damage herself, actively having the knowlege to train sumo pigs, but like Akane probably just doesn't have the mentality or drive to be at the level alot of the other cast is at. She seems like she'd probably be about Akane's level, but since you never see her actually fight I suppose you can't really say how good she is.

Another problem that I'm figuring could get in the way of this is that Ryoga probably wouldn't approve.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:24 pm

Akari isn't a fighter. Her family may raise sumo pigs, but that doesn't mean she trains them personally; more likely, she directs the elder swine in training the younger. Sort of like a boxing coach knows how to get the best out of a boxer, but wouldn't last a minute in the ring himself.

Sasuke isn't worth discussing, since he's anime-only. No reference material.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Siden » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:46 pm

One that no one has mentioned that might be interesting is Happosai vs Happosai. It'd have to be a death-match, since two Happi's in the world is two too many, but with the right prize on the line I think they could be pursuaded to go all out. It'd be great to see the old lech use his full skills.
Employed by Lady Bliss.
True Neutral, "Pure Neutral", "Balancer"
Spamville Dossier
Siden
Asteroid Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:58 pm

Cologne or Saffron would probably be a good even match for him. Actually, some mentioned that Happy wouldn't stand a chance. I know there's no way she'd be willing to do it, but I bet you that he'd get serious enough if he was promised Kiima or Shampoo.

I'd say an all out duel with Ranma would be fun if he's at that level.

By the way, does anyone think that maybe Happy was sort of letting Monster Taro think he won during the time he gets the tentacles? I just can't see him going from being completely outclassed by the old man to coming back doing that same exact thing just from one addition.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby claymade » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:00 am

lwf58 wrote:If you look at the very next page, you see exactly how scared Ranma really was.

Huh? Of course he isn't terrified after he finally finds an opening to take Mousse out. That doesn't retroactively make what he felt earlier not "really" true.

By that same logic, you could say that Ranma never "really" felt discouraged or outclassed in his fight against Herb, since the last frame of the fight has him confident as he blasts his foe.

Look at the fight as a whole: The only time Ranma is purely on the defensive is when Mousse first uses the hidden weapons technique to suddenly sprout dozens of lethal weapons.

No, he's on the defensive even before he pulls out the dozens. First Mousse sprouts his arm-blades, and goes after Ranma with a barrage of melee attacks, under which Ranma can only scream and dodge. Then he throws those blades (same reaction by Ranma). And only then does he go for the "dozens of lethal weapons", which also keep Ranma on the defensive until at last he finally finds an opening to turn the tables.

That's not just a one-off "oops" moment for Ranma. That's an extended chain of attacks that he could not disrupt, even as Mousse was switching styles and weapons on him. Heck, he was having to work plenty hard to simply not be killed by it.

And remember, this was when Mousse was in such a damaged condition from Shampoo's bombs that he was wobbling just standing up. In other words, a barely-standing Mousse is still able to pose a credible threat to Ranma. That's a whole 'nother universe from the likes of Kuno/Ukyo/Shampoo.

That startles him, because it's just supposed to be a challenge match, not a duel to the death.

Startled by Mousse pulling out lethal weapons? Something Mousse had done in every single fight they'd ever had? Including their initial "challenge match"? That surprises him so badly that he has no recourse but to run for his life from someone (supposedly) far beneath him in skill?

Even worse, that's not even the first time Mousse pulls a blade in that very fight.

I'm rather skeptical, to say the least. What Mousse is doing is exactly par for his course--the only reason I can see for Ranma fleeing like he does is if Mousse is himself good enough that there's cause to flee.

Whenever Ranma decides to fight back in the match, he outclasses Mousse badly. It usually only takes him one or two moves to put Mousse down.

It's not a question of "deciding", it's a question of opportunity. Someone on a desperate, all-out defensive like Ranma was can't necessarily just arbitrarily decide to attack without the proper opening.

And yes, Mousse isn't as durable as Ranma, and can only take a few hits from him before going down. That said, his blades also mean he'd only need to give a few good hits himself, and as mentioned above, he can come pretty close in that way. The key to interpreting it is to realize that it's a very different kind of fight than a Ranma/Ryouga pounding match--one much more volatile and often quickly decided.

Unlike a Ranma/Ryouga battle, the closeness of a Ranma/Mousse battle is measured in centimeters, not in bruises.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby whatever » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:47 am

I'm not really that good analyzing fights so I won't give my opinions of who will win
well this are some fights that would be interesting for me

Ranma/Ryoga vs Ryu/Ken (Street fighter)
Ryoga vs Guile (Street fighter)
Ranma vs Chun li (Street fighter)
Saffron vs Cologne
Kodachi vs Mariko
Happosai vs Cologne (fighting serious)
Shampoo vs Ukyo (fighting serious)
Konatsu vs Mousse
Mousse Vs Kuno
whatever
Senshi Cadet

Postby Andy2kk » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:43 am

bissek wrote:Ranma vs Cassandra Cain (Batgirl II): Two people who spent their entire childhood learning how to fight and pretty much nothing else. One is a master at adapting to any style, and the other a master at reading her opponent's intentions.

Okay responding to an old post, but Cassandra was Batgirl III. Helena(huntress) was the second.

Fights, Ranma versus Nightwing: battle of the aerial fighters.
Andy2kk
Senshi Cadet

Postby claymade » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:25 am

whatever wrote:Ranma vs Chun li (Street fighter)

That'd be a good one. In the spirit of SF matchups, I think Ryu vs. Herb would be another awesome showdown. They strike me as being more or less the same level--and for an extra little twist Ryu's name even means "dragon".

Happi vs. Akuma could be a cool match as well.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Series: Ranma