Stolen Text!? Straight, gay, bipedaling quickly Ranma!?

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Re: Stolen Text!? Straight, gay, bipedaling quickly Ranma!?

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:29 pm

Is it lazy writing or is the author actually trying to write Ranma having a life in that state and possibly going along with some subtle character development? There are many fics where Ranma has a progression while locked that leaves the character changed but has really just lost some of the blatantly if not stereotypically male aspects. Sure its not the sum of those stories but it has been done not just believably but well many times.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Ranma + Nabiki is a coupling I have seen with Ranma as effectively the girl partner in the equation a few times. Even some where Ranma is Pregnant in the fic.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:11 am

One of the key things in the series is having a successor. So that kind of necessitates there being an at least part time male in the situation to keep it possible even when the story never gets to that point.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:47 am

Would they still be available after all the damage done to Jusenkyo in Ranma's fight against Saffron? Some stories don't have that option any longer.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:51 am

Related to having an heir is giri, and it is something we've seen Ranma observe and take seriously on multiple occasions (including his engagement, after some protests). If his mother isn't an issue when he's stuck as a girl, and the uniting of the schools is still desired, it can make sense that a coupling that would result in offspring would be desired. There's the instant packets to take into consideration, of course, but authors might find it a cop out if it was that easy to work around a permanent curse. In particular, if the Chisuiton (locking ladle/ladle of preservation) is responsible, the instant packets probably wouldn't work.

Spokavriel wrote: Would they still be available after all the damage done to Jusenkyo in Ranma's fight against Saffron? Some stories don't have that option any longer.
We don't know how they're made or where the place they're made from is located.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:06 am

Ranma does have his limits, and he may not be so honorable in certain situations, but if he's aware of an obligation or bound by something he said, he generally observes them. For instance, Ukyo could have gotten her revenge and then gone about her merry way, but both Genma and Ranma still accepted her as a fiancee. It may have even been the reason for why he stuck around when they arrived at the Tendo's instead of going to China like he'd wanted to, once it was clear that Genma prioritized the honoring of the agreement over getting cured. Who knows?

As far as Ranma and reversing being locked is concerned, I don't think it's as important to him as some might think. From what I can tell, I believe he values Akane and his strength more than he does being a man. It isn't that he won't try to find a cure, but he can't pick one up at the market, so he doesn't actively search for one unless a possibility happens to come to his attention (Japanese spring story, Romeo and Juliet story, and the hot spring race story) or he's told of one (like the Phoenix pill and the Kaisuifuu). Anyway, in the story with Herb, there was a point where he believed that returning to Akane alive as a girl was better than risking death. If the mountain had collapsed without him getting the kettle, he might not bother looking through the rubble, especially since the chances of the kettle being crushed would be rather high unless he saw someone make off with it.

As for the girly girl thing, perhaps some people consciously or unconsciously follow the form follows function concept. While this usually results in pre-conceived notions more or less being pasted onto Ranma's character, our bodies usually have some sort and degree of influence in regard to how we see ourselves and how we behave around others. (For me, it's part of the reason I prefer to not leave the house or be around too many people.)
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Ranma was on American Cable TV in the late 80's early 90's. The Internet got into full swing in the late 90's making it so most of the fan base was moving on before there were places online to put stories. As additional movies and other channels have re-ran things there would be resurgences but unlike other anime coming along later the first swell stayed in note books. And I don't mean notebook computers.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:50 pm

Unless Happosai is involved, I distrust fanfics that emphasize Ranma-chan's underwear. They're edging out of story territory and heading into fetish. That's neither gender preference nor sexual orientation,but it's a lot more common than lesbian Ranma or Ranma with a guy in either form.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:19 pm

Noy Telinú wrote:In the end I guess there's only one thing to say... "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

I know somebody who once looked at a mystery and said "I can do this better myself". Some thirty years later, she has somewhat over 25 novels out -- and is making a living at it.

It's a good reason to write.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous