Stolen Text!? Straight, gay, bipedaling quickly Ranma!?

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Re: Stolen Text!? Straight, gay, bipedaling quickly Ranma!?

Postby TerraEpon » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:36 am

There's plenty of yuri Ranma fics, they just tend to ALSO have male Ranma being straight at the same time (and then the partner(s) using instant Jusenkyo to be guys,...)

But I imagine if you really want, there's always Lesbian 1/2...
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:07 am

You have to consider that a lot of people write ideas based on fantasies, and fantasies are more often than not straightforward and simple. The people writing said fantasies as a part of a story will be more interested in the fantasies happening rather than the process that makes them possible, thus you can expect the kind of results that make you upset. The only thing that can really be done about it is to be the one to write what you want to read, and hopefully it will inspire others to write the same kind of stuff.

I don't really expect to see more fukufics being written by the time I finish my third one, though. <_<
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:34 am

In my opinion there's an easy explanation as to why there's a lot more yaoi than yuri.

Guys like action, mostly, and that's what they write
Girls like romantic stuff, mostly, and that's what they write.

And since girls are usually more interested in yaoi than yuri that's what they write.

Seems easy to me.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:38 am

Noy Telinú wrote:So... you're saying that many people have fantasies making Ranma an over the top girly girl paired with Ryoga?

WHAT THE?

But, about the fukufics, I doubt it, SM's new anime will spike up popularity again...

Ryoga is more likely used out of convenience, since he's the closest thing to a he-man compared to the other guys who make frequent enough appearances. They can imagine themselves in his position with a female Ranma that acts girly because they think Ranma's girl form looks hot but her personality isn't like a real *Cough!* submissive, oversexed slut, basically *Cough!* girl's. It's more likely that they're simply projecting a fantasy girl on Ranma, rather than actually caring about Ranma's sexuality or whatnot.

Well, that's one of many possible reasons, anyway. Either way, I find that erotica is a natural corrosive to such things as common sense and realism.

<-- Hopes the new Sailor Moon anime doesn't spawn a new breed of evil fanon...
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:33 am

*Bops CP over the head*
Now you've gone and done it. There will surely be evil fandom over the. New SM series now.

And as for the yuri Ranma fics, well most of them that were written in the past were to citrusy for most websites or so bad the authors pulled them after large quanities of hate email burried them. I myself found Fukufics and Fanfiction.net thru sites like fiction mania and fanfic boards. A lot of writers aren't sure enough of their stories to make a strong yuri Ranma plot without it going slash/yaoi...at least that's my opinion adout it... :?
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:38 am

change preference, you either have to make a drastic change in the physical brain, or personality.
Neither seems in any way true about Jusenkyo curses

Not exactly true. There are springs that change personalities, people cursed to be quadrupeds know how to walk, run, and move seemingly instantly, and those with a flight mechanism to their curses or non-human features know how to use these features. All of these seem to indicate a mental change to some degree or another since none are instinctual human behavior. Does this mean Ranma instantly becomes attracted to men? No of course not. Does that mean its plausible yes. Of course as you mention there are likely many intricacies related to sexual attraction but you can't simply dismiss things out of hand.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Vocaloid » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:40 am

the best example of all this would be at the beginning of the story when Kuno confesses to his pigtailed goddess. Remember how shaken Ranma was by his dreams after that? Look how he drives himself to be a man's man after that. Looking at some other plot points, it shows what level of loss Ranma felt when locked. The mind is a very jnique device that adapts in unexpected ways.
Know Music, Know Life
No Music, No Life
Vocaloid
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:02 pm

I immediately thought of the spring of the virtuous man
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby iblackney » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:37 am

Err... Ranma's hard to quantify... I won't make any deductions, but give some inductions.

Sexuality and Gender Identity have to deal with Ego and Body Image. The difference between a gay man and a transwoman is that a gay man is someone who is physically male, who has a male ego/identity, and is attracted to men; where as a transwoman is someone who is physically male, has a female ego/identity/agency, who is attracted to men. The two conditions are not the same, despite the homosexual community claiming so – if you turned a gay man into a woman, even a very flaming submisive gay man – he'd probably be devastated mentally.

For Ranma, I'd say form his behavior that he's either straight or a tepid-asexual at the beginning, and has a sexuality of “other – it's complicated” at the end. The mind, and human life, human spirit is amazingly adaptive. Does Ranma normally like guys. No, I don't think so. Can Ranma learn to like guys? Yes, he could, much like learning a new language. But Ranma would have to be willing, he'd have to make some sort of peace with his girlform and loose his fear of being being unmanly.

As for the Curse being a factor, here's my theory on Jusenkyo. Each spring is different - unique. If something falls in that would duplicate a spring, the new spring differentiates itself someway. Jusenkyo seems to have a rule of minimum transformation - the Curse will do the minimum necessary to change it's victim to it's template. Also the Curse is decidedly non-lethal - you will not die directly from the effects of the Curse (which is why the Spring of Drowned Twins is effectively permanent. That said, nothing is going to stop a tiger from eating a neo-piglet.) So after the Spring of Drowned Woman and the Spring of Drowned Girl comes springs like the Spring if Drowned Bride or Spring Drowned Amazon or Spring of Drowned Magical Girl. The Woman spring and Girl spring simply change shape. Since it's hard to differentiate physically after that (the Springs could have a little wiggle room, with springs like SoD Little Girl, SoD Grandmother) the only other room for transformation is mental. So, the SoD Young Bride wishes to be married, SoD Expecting Mother has no problems with being a mother, SoD Amazon is pro-women and SoD Magical Girl fights for Capital-L Love and Capital-J Justice. If you want to be silly, SoD Weaving Girl would have excellent basket weaving skills, including underwater basket weaving. (Don't look at me like that, Underwater Basket-weaving Martial Arts would be completely within the spirit of the Cannon.)

So what sexuality does Onna-Ranma have. I don't think you can categorize the long-term genderbent. At that point you're less following memes and morès, and more being true to your heart and avoiding regrets. What's in Ranma's heart? I don't think even Ranma knows during the Cannon.

Just remember, sexuality isn't a choice, it a quality of temperament/personality – something one is either born with or developed with in the first 18 months of early childhood. Choosing to change one's sexuality or gender with out cause is commonly though to be uncanny. I've been seriously hit-upon by gay men in the past and that's best way to describe the experience – uncanny like, a creepy turn-on in reverse. Homosexuals I think underestimate the what straights feel when they get propositioned. Especially when the person proposing expects reciprocation and badger the person when reciprocation isn't had.

I don't have a problem with homosexuals myself – shoot I'm tepid-asexual / hyposexual myself. I know what it's like to be...different. What other adults do to themselves is their own business. Homosexuality may be a sin by the letter of the Law (Bible), but Christ died as the Ransom for the sins of Man, both capital and petty. If a man is gay and can't help it but is otherwise holy, I may not know the Measure of Souls but I'd recon that man is probably going to New Kingdom. Sometimes it's frustrating that we make such a fuss over a petty sin, over some of the capital sins that run rampant in our country – murder, adultery, being covetous, etc.

Sorry for any rant.
If good intentions pave the road to Hell, then I must of made an Interstate.
iblackney
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous