Stolen Text!? Straight, gay, bipedaling quickly Ranma!?

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Re: Stolen Text!? Straight, gay, bipedaling quickly Ranma!?

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:28 am

LawOhki wrote:After perusing this thread I have come to one conclusion.

That's just being silly.

I mean, I bet the first conclusion was something along the lines of: I don't care for this thread. The second was probably: I need to express this conclusion in some way. The third was likely a bunch of questions marks, followed by profit.

Does your greed and conclusion laundering know no bounds!? U_U
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:41 am

LawOhki wrote:After perusing this thread I have come to one conclusion.

1_I_Dont_Want_to_Live_on_This_Planet_Anymore.jpg
1_I_Dont_Want_to_Live_on_This_Planet_Anymore.jpg (43.79 KiB) Viewed 7835 times

It looks like Sharenator is another of those sites that doesn't allow pages to direct link.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:59 am

Isn't that at least a little contradictory, considering their name's Sharenator? XD;;
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:20 am

Guess they don't want to get exploited into doing all the bandwidth heavy lifting if someone exploited them with all but the base HTML of a web site "shared" in their system.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:28 am

Then they should have been called Share-just enough-nator. :P
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:31 am

Crescent Pulsar wrote:Then they should have been called Share-just enough-nator. :P

Should is a most dangerous word, because it presupposes one person who knows what should be done. And of course, when we use it, we are that one. Bad for mental health.

"They would have been more honest to call themselves 'Share-just enough-nator'." Still my opinion (or Crescent's) but not quite as aggressive about it.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:51 pm

What can I say? A joke without exaggeration or emphasis simply makes a statement. There's no passive-aggressive ways around it. :P

Or is there? O_O Now I'm bi-curious about it...
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:00 pm

Crescent Pulsar wrote:What can I say? A joke without exaggeration or emphasis simply makes a statement. There's no passive-aggressive ways around it. :P

Or is there? O_O Now I'm bi-curious about it...

I don't do jokes. I do puns, and plays on words. Far too many jokes are about somebody having a bad time, and other people laughing about it. It's easier to take a joke in toon form, because fewer actual humans are harmed in the making.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:32 pm

I do all three. Not in a sexual way, of course. Concepts and I don't have that sort of relationship, I can assure you. Not that it's possible, anyway, mind you. Even if it were, I don't have any interest in settling down and experiencing the kind of conception that leads to new ideas. I'm up for experiencing new things, but come on.

Besides, if you do a joke right, everybody gets to enjoy it. Humor/Comedy -- like many other things -- is a skill. Or, rather, a set of skills determined by one's intent. For instance, there are plenty of jokes that don't require that it comes at the expense of another person. If jokes by and large seem to be at the expense of someone, that just means it's a trend, not a rule.

See, now this is somewhere I wouldn't have expected this thread to go, which is truly off-topic. Oh, well. XD
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:00 pm

Let me see... So because the 1960's had people having sex in the mud and other public places and actually wrote down fantasies about Star Trek Slash somehow had to have been acceptable?

Cannon is irrelevant because it was filler and yet the reason it is irrelevant is because in the filler Akane and Genma go beyond their usual behavior in objection to it? Not even wanting to bring up the date with a ghost (astral projection) episode that is in both Manga and Anime for some more sound footing?

Why would Ranma have been made into the girl who drowned in the spring? The only thing close to supporting that is the artist was lazy and drew Ranma-chan for the Monkey that Herb made into a woman. What about the whole is X as if born that way. So if what you are is a ____ (fill in the blank) male human being that blank does not change. Some people get carried away and say hedro stays hedro even though the argument can't really go beyond physical attraction. Nurture also is a big element and Genma's upbringing is not one prone to making anyone's sexual nature flourish.

How many fanfics go out of their way to highlight Ranma-chan having her period. Did you even need that rebuttal?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:52 pm

I think one excuse is that the author finds all of the girls in the canon unsuitable (and it's not hard to do that) for Ranma, or at least a few of them might not be interested in Ranma anyway (like Kasumi, just for instance), and from there we have various reasons as to why an author would hook Ranma up with a guy as a girl instead of an original girl character or one from another series. One of the easy ones to guess is that it's simply what gets the author's rocks off, and even that comes with a number of even more specific reasons. But one of the common excuses isn't inspired by Ranma in specific, but the other girls themselves: they are not lesbians. Whether due to sexual preference or societal pressures and expectations, Ranma can't have what they won't give. And then various stuff can happen where Ranma ends up with a guy, whether he becomes girly in the process or not.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Noy Telinú wrote:Excuse, the other girls aren't lesbians, leaving Ranma to be paired with a guy.

Rebuttal! You've changed Ranma's sexuality already, changing the other girls is just as easy ESPECIALLY Shampoo! Look how she glomps female Ranma without hesitation!

It isn't a matter of changing Ranma's sexuality immediately. In some of those stories she and sometimes even one of the girls try to have a lesbian relationship, but for one reason or another this doesn't work out. Even when that exact scenario isn't the case (when Ranma's locked as a girl, for instance), many stories actually don't change Ranma's sexuality automatically. It's more a case of giving bad reasons for why it changes at all. It's usually through the circumstances that follow (for better or worse) where Ranma changes, either to bisexuality or heterosexuality as a girl.

Also, the reasoning you gave for Shampoo is making the same mistake that you're calling rebuttals down upon excuses for. Exactly because it's easy, or -- to be more precise -- because people believe or simply desire it to be that easy. And one female hugging another is perhaps one of the most... mistaken ways to point out one's homosexual potential. <_<;

Excuse, authors hate the other girls and therefore pair Ranma up with a guy because they like the guy.

Rebuttal! That's just lazy writing. Locking Ranma and then having no plan.

It's probably not because they like the guy, but it's a reason among many. And while lazy or inept writing is to be expected, that's not to say that they didn't have a plan. It's probably more likely that they just didn't have much of one, at least from our perspective.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous