Could someone make this work in a fic?

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Re: Could someone make this work in a fic?

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:18 am

I think it might be easier to simply go with after the failed wedding. Have Kodachi be the only one to make some offer of apology. A Wedding was ended, her brother did draw live steel, and the Tendo property was destroyed. In some cases it could be enough to have a declaration of Blood Feud that could make it so she's eternally cut off from Ranma Saotome. So of all people she has the mind set to see some need to at least save face after that. Let things progress from there.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:21 am

Now, now.

Okay, allow me to give this suggestion thing a shot! It seems my brain was hiding more stuff than what I was going to use. @_@

How about this idea that suddenly occurred to me. Kodachi learns that female Ranma accepts challenges from the same dojo as Akane, so she presents a challenge to her that would remove her from the area (like attending an all-girl's boarding school for a year and receiving certain marks/grades, perhaps against the ones she makes at her own school), in such a way that Ranma gets angry and accepts before she really thinks about what she got herself into. Kodachi's plan is to simply get rid of the nuisance who frequently hides her male Ranma away from her (since she's actually seen Ranma transform from a boy into a girl), but when she fails to ever see the male Ranma while the female Ranma is gone, she confronts the female Ranma about it.

With Ranma not being at all happy being at the all-girl boarding school, she's holding a grudge by that time, and tells Kodachi that in order to see (male) Ranma she will have to start treating her nicely, knowing that Kodachi would probably find it as unbearable as she did the all-girl boarding school. Kodachi doesn't agree, at first, but after another period of time without seeing male Ranma she reluctantly agrees, and the first thing Ranma wants is out of that all-girls boarding school. So Kodachi has her transfer to her own school, where she could keep an eye on her while Ranma could take advantage of being treated nice by Kodachi. (While still doing the challenge.)

From there Ranma learns of Kodachi's influence and power base there (much like Tatewaki and their father have theirs at Furinkan, though Tatewaki doesn't seem to have a power base anymore while the teachers still seem to at the mercy of the principal), and somewhat unwittingly she begins to win over the girls that are a part of Kodachi's power base. (The power base is based on the observations pertaining to having the help of about two-dozen girls from the rhythmic gymnastics team, and the influence because of the blase reaction the teacher had when Kodachi left class early.) By the time Kodachi realizes this, she can't really do much about it if she wants to see male Ranma, since she has yet to succeed in seeing him since her challenge had started.

Between female Ranma's popularity eclipsing her own "popularity," and beginning to lose her influence, Kodachi begins to break down mentally, not being able to accept it or believe it. But the more she sees the people who like Ranma looking at her and treating her in unfavorable ways, she puts more effort into treating Ranma nice to regain their favor, thinking that it would be easier to bear until she could figure out what to do in order to change the status quo back to the way it used to be. However, by then Ranma is no longer holding her grudge and begins to feel sorry for her, so she begins to treat Kodachi like a friend, which does more to make the other girls treat her better and accept her than Kodachi's own efforts would have accomplished alone.

It's during this time that Kodachi goes through a confusing, emotional and inner struggle phase, where she realizes that not all of her friendly behavior toward female Ranma is fake, and she tries to convince herself that it was the farthest thing from what she wanted, even though her relationship with her schoolmates seemed even better than before somehow. Finally she can't take it anymore, and she confronts Ranma on the roof of the school, away from prying eyes. She's a mess, crying and shaking, accusing female Ranma of bewitching her before attacking. She attacks wildly and recklessly, pouring her heart out as she does so, until she somehow (options!?) ends up falling off of the roof.

Ranma catches her (of course) and asks if she's okay, and Kodachi finds herself in a familiar position being asked a familiar question. She sees a familiar face, a familiar pigtail, belonging to a person with the exact same name. It's then that the connection finally clicks, as these clues relate directly back to the moment that had made such a profound change in her life, when the male Ranma had caught her in his arms and asked her the exact same thing. It was then that she realized that the man she loved was the girl that she couldn't help falling for, and now she knew why.

...And then things go places from there. I know, it's a rough outline, but I tried without making a real story out of it. <_<; And while there's not a lot of room for humor, if you're going to tackle this pairing in a way that's believable I doubt it can be done with it.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:55 am

Noy Telinú wrote:Due to my goal of pairing Ranma up with each girl in a fic, I've been spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to do a Ranma/Kodachi one.

The most functional Ranma/Kodachi I've seen is Richard Lawson's Roses of Shadow.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:44 pm

I wasn't thinking that it would happen that early, but it can. (The important thing is to make it so Kodachi's thoughts about female Ranma change, and then have her be caught so she thinks back on the reason for why she has a love interest in the first place, which is at the root of the driving force of her behavior as far as what were talking about is concerned.) Though it's my opinion that Ranma was firmly set on Akane long before Herb. You can see it at least as early as the martial arts figure skating story, after Ranma made sure he was the one that hit the wall. You could arguably say it goes as far back as when Akane had her hair cut, when she pushed Ranma into the canal at the end of the story (and the first (Viz?) volume), since that is pretty much the standard of their relationship even until the end of the series.

Also, I just wanted to say that a relationship with Ranma and Kodachi, even after the end of the series, isn't impossible. It may be a huge challenge for those who would take it seriously, and no problem at all for those who don't, but not impossible. The idea I'm reserving for myself takes place after the series ends, and it focuses a lot on how and why their thoughts for each other change, and that's not even getting to point where they have to comes to terms with these changes. Granted, I'm only going to go to the point of best friends with them, but if I really wanted to I feel that I could take it farther than that.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:41 pm

No problem. If I'm good at anything it's coming up with ideas. Too bad it has no effect on how often I write. ;/

To be honest, Ukyo's the one that has me stumped. I could probably get her and Ranma together, but it'd be based on when they first meet (sans curse, since having it by then or shortly afterward would pretty much be a contrivance for the sake of having it) and that's been done plenty of times already, and I can't say I know of anything interesting to do with that from there. She's not like Kodachi or Shampoo, where a lot of the draw and interest is actually getting them together with Ranma in a believable way, because there are a lot more obstacles and antagonism between them and him. And it's not long after her arrival in the story that she becomes like Shampoo, Kodachi, Mousse and Ryoga, who are pretty much single-minded and self-serving in their purposes and interests, thinking more about themselves.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:47 pm

They could, but it's not enough for someone like me. In the case of Kodachi and Ranma getting together, pulling it off believably itself makes it distinct. Not just because of the difficulty, but because not many people have an interest in that pairing. Thus you rarely see it done seriously, or when it's done it's a part of a citrus-y harem fic where she's just another one of Ranma's trophies/sexual conquests. In Ukyo's case, she has a large enough following in the fandom and has a fair number of stories where she's paired up with Ranma. And since it's not all that difficult to come up with scenarios where she ends up being paired with Ranma, it actually makes it harder for someone like me to come up with something distinct when I have to manage something special with as little contrivance as possible.

Basically, I'm the type who doesn't settle for something that has been done or would want to be repeated by someone else (for one reason or another). I prefer that my stories have at least one thing that really stands out and separates them from the rest. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with your examples or in others wanting to write in that way, as they can still produce good stories, it's just that my focus and goals are different. If anyone knew the Sailor Moon manga, for example, they might recognize several of things that I did in The Prospective Senshi that had never been done before in a fukufic, partly due to the fact that almost all of them are based on the Sailor Moon anime or its fandom. It's going to be the same with every fukufic I write, as well as any other story so long as one knows what's needed to identify them.

And all that boring stuff. It's not an enviable way of doing things as I really have my work cut out for me; even with a lot of the simple things. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're either a workaholic or a masochist, or both. <_<;
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:04 pm

Sometimes I hate myself for what I make myself do. XD;;

It's just so much work and my attention span and energy levels for that sort of thing are rather... lacking.

And I have so many ideas that want to get out. X_X
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous