Rankofics has moved after going offline.

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Rankofics has moved after going offline.

Postby jasonjkay » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:04 pm

Hi ive not been here for a while. Been getting a few emails telling me my site was down. Problem with a free server, so I had to change to another and reupload the site. SItes moved from rankofics.uuuq.com to http://rankofics.99k.org

If you dont know what my site was, it was a list of ranma chan stories that I enjoyed reading with a short description on each written by me. It was mostly so I could find the stories I wanted to read again.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: Rankofics has moved after going offline.

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Thank you for getting this back up. I like allot of the stories you linked to. But one thing most of the sites you use to link to are gone. Did you save copies to host yourself or will I go in there and just find allot of dead links?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:18 pm

It's been a while since I checked all the links, this is mostly just getting my site back online, so I guess there are going to be quite a few dead links. I have a saved version of every story I read on my hardrive so I can easily upload a story if the links dead. I'll check all the links in the next few weeks.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Your signature still says "rankofics.uuuq.com". Just another link to fix....
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:14 pm

jasonjkay wrote:It's been a while since I checked all the links, this is mostly just getting my site back online, so I guess there are going to be quite a few dead links. I have a saved version of every story I read on my hardrive so I can easily upload a story if the links dead. I'll check all the links in the next few weeks.

Hmmm... Link Rot affects us all... One thing that may help, you can try downloading my own listing and searching it to see if I have any working links for stories you have broken ones for and update them... I won't mind.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:23 am

PCHeintz72 wrote:Hmmm... Link Rot affects us all... One thing that may help, you can try downloading my own listing and searching it to see if I have any working links for stories you have broken ones for and update them... I won't mind.
Thanks, but if I find any broken links i'll just upload the story to my site, that way the only way ill lose the link would be if my whole site goes down like it did, in which case the link doesn't really matter. Just checking links now, should be fixed soon.

Edit: Just finished checking all the links on the Ranma Chan page, a couple of links broken which needed me to upload the stories, but they should all be fine now for a while.
Edit: Just finished the More Girly page, all the links should work, only a couple were broke.
Edit: Wow that took a while, I have clicked every link in my entire site, fixing the few that were broken and uploading a few that are lost. All links should now be correct for a while until more start disappearing.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:26 pm

jasonjkay wrote:Edit: Just finished checking all the links on the Ranma Chan page, a couple of links broken which needed me to upload the stories, but they should all be fine now for a while.
Edit: Just finished the More Girly page, all the links should work, only a couple were broke.
Edit: Wow that took a while, I have clicked every link in my entire site, fixing the few that were broken and uploading a few that are lost. All links should now be correct for a while until more start disappearing.

I should note, unless you have permission, or cannot find alternate links, suggest you not host stories like that.

But that is your call and your site. Do as you wish.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:01 pm

Well if anybody asks me to remove a fic from my site then I will have to comply, but then if they complain that im hosting their fic unaltered on my site, I could complain that they are using characters and locations that belong to somebody else. I know, a bit of a morale dilemma but hey im not making any money from this and there fics still get read so whats the problem?
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:53 pm

That's my take on the situation, too. When you play with somebody else's situations and characters, you've no complaint if a third party comes along and plays respectfully with your story. It's not like you're going to lose sales.

I have one story on my computer that was personally sent to me by the author. As far as I know, it's not available anywhere else. Pity, it's a very good story. But I'm not going to spread it around, because the author doesn't want that.

On the other hand, some authors simply get in a snit and pull everything off the net, including some very good stories. If it's on my drive, I have no compunctions about sending it to somebody; and if enough people come by asking, no compunctions about putting it up on my web site. And there are even fewer worries if it was on a, say, Geocities site that disappeared without descendants.

Sometimes a kick in the fanny is needed for the author to make something available. Back when Lord of the Rings was a pup, Tolkien and his publishers showed no interest in making it available in the USA. Nor had they copyrighted it here. Ace Books put out an unauthorized edition, Tolkien kicked and screamed, and soon enough there were authorized editions.

Frankly, I admire Ace's gall. That behavior isn't needed often, but sometimes it is.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:That's my take on the situation, too. When you play with somebody else's situations and characters, you've no complaint if a third party comes along and plays respectfully with your story. It's not like you're going to lose sales.

I have one story on my computer that was personally sent to me by the author. As far as I know, it's not available anywhere else. Pity, it's a very good story. But I'm not going to spread it around, because the author doesn't want that.

On the other hand, some authors simply get in a snit and pull everything off the net, including some very good stories. If it's on my drive, I have no compunctions about sending it to somebody; and if enough people come by asking, no compunctions about putting it up on my web site. And there are even fewer worries if it was on a, say, Geocities site that disappeared without descendants.

Sometimes a kick in the fanny is needed for the author to make something available. Back when Lord of the Rings was a pup, Tolkien and his publishers showed no interest in making it available in the USA. Nor had they copyrighted it here. Ace Books put out an unauthorized edition, Tolkien kicked and screamed, and soon enough there were authorized editions.

Frankly, I admire Ace's gall. That behavior isn't needed often, but sometimes it is.

I've no issue with people keeping stuff they've acquired on-line on their Hard drive... I'd be incredibly hipocritical if I did, since I have literally thousands of such stories and other media on my local hard drive... and hundreds that have been either removed from the internet or can no longer be found. I view it as if it was made available for reading or public consumption, it is free game.

I further have no issue of those finding alternate links to said material if not at original locations, again I would be exceedingly two faced if I did.

However, to just up and suddenly hosting it yourself with out even asking or otherwise letting them know I personally feel to be a bit rude. I know for sure some authors certainly would feel that way.

As I said, not my site, not my problem or call to make. I have no vested interest either way.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:28 pm

But there is the rub. There are allot of authors with no way to contact them anymore. And also there are some authors who have had their sites snagged out from under them on renewal and the people who snaked it destroying the work and then impersonating the original author saying they never want to see the stories online again. Admittedly its more companies doing that last one than individuals but it is still happening. I say once shared it should be available.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:33 pm

PCHeintz72 wrote:However, to just up and suddenly hosting it yourself with out even asking or otherwise letting them know I personally feel to be a bit rude. I know for sure some authors certainly would feel that way.

So far, the only stories on my site are mine. And I'd be glad to ask, if I wanted to host somebody else's stories -- if I could find the author in question. It took me years to get in communication with Eric Hallstrom (not, by the way, to host his stories. It was a different reason.) I'm still trying to get in touch with Metroanime.

The problem hasn't come up. It may, some day. It'd have to be a really good story.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby jasonjkay » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:38 am

PCHeintz72 wrote:However, to just up and suddenly hosting it yourself with out even asking or otherwise letting them know I personally feel to be a bit rude. I know for sure some authors certainly would feel that way.

As I said, not my site, not my problem or call to make. I have no vested interest either way.

True i'm a bit rude I accept. I have been tempted to just upload everything I have saved just so that links wont disappear but I think that's even more rude as the stories I don't host are still online in the place I found them and therefore don't need to be hosted by me. Secondly I would have a hard time keeping all the stories up to date, whilst with missing stories I can only place what I have onto my site and then I don't have to worry about updating the story any more

also as I said before in some ways fanfic authors can be viewed as rude stealing characters and story plots, just as i'm stealing their story to put on my site. However most people view fanfiction as flattering the creators of the original work and continuing the adventures of that character, just as i'm flattering the fanfic author by saying I like the story enough to save it.

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote: So far, the only stories on my site are mine. And I'd be glad to ask, if I wanted to host somebody else's stories -- if I could find the author in question. It took me years to get in communication with Eric Hallstrom (not, by the way, to host his stories. It was a different reason.) I'm still trying to get in touch with Metroanime.

The problem hasn't come up. It may, some day. It'd have to be a really good story.
Ok just as a precaution, if in the future your storys dissapear, can I have advanced permission to host them? True by then my own page might be gone as well but I'll try asking now instead of when it impossible. That goes for anybody else who's story I've linked too.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:26 am

jasonjkay wrote:Ok just as a precaution, if in the future your storys dissapear, can I have advanced permission to host them? True by then my own page might be gone as well but I'll try asking now instead of when it impossible. That goes for anybody else who's story I've linked too.

Heh. You have permission to host Different Colors and its postludes. That's the only Rankofic I have. You can host the rest of the stories on my site, though if you want to do the Supers stuff, do it all -- background dossiers as well as stories. And I'd just as soon you not host The Case of the Misplaced Superhero. That's on my site as an example of what I wrote like long, long ago.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby jasonjkay » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:57 am

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:Heh. You have permission to host Different Colors and its postludes. That's the only Rankofic I have. You can host the rest of the stories on my site, though if you want to do the Supers stuff, do it all -- background dossiers as well as stories. And I'd just as soon you not host The Case of the Misplaced Superhero. That's on my site as an example of what I wrote like long, long ago.
Yay I got permission. Um I supers stuff? I got to admit I've only read your Different Colors fics, and altho I have been on your website I just glanced over it, hangs head in shame.

Anyway I had an idea last night to add an extra page to my site with Authorized downloads, that is fics that are still online that I contact the author about and ask to host as well. Maybe I could add you first, and see who else I can get in touch with. I can promise that I wont alter any stories in any way. This will be completely different to the hosting of dead stories I already do.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Next

Return to Miscellaneous