Mary Sue backwards

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Mary Sue backwards

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:42 pm

I was wondering if there was an official term out there for characters that are the opposite of Mary Sues, in that they're unrealistically bad at whatever they do, aren't particularly well-liked, and don't play a major role despite how much exposure they may get.

From a comedic standpoint, they may be seen as a comic relief character. If put in a positive light, anyway.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Mary Sue backwards

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:44 pm

I don't know if it is official but I've heard people filling that role as Melvins.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:40 pm

Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:25 pm

Yeah he seems to fit in many of his roles. Only with him there is less failure.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:37 pm

I think I'm going to go with Girl Days on this one and call them: Loonies.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:54 am

Maybe we should come up with a name that complements Mary Sue and spread it throughout the interwebs. That said, it should be a guy's name. Which would actually make sense, considering how often guys play stupid and incompetent characters, whether they're the protagonist or not.

I was browsing around for subjects on this, well, subject, and the closest thing I could find for this concept was this trope. Though, if you read it, it says that it's the opposite of a Mary Sue. I don't believe it is, however, since the role for this trope in question is either still integral to the plot (especially if they're the protagonist) or meant to draw favorable attention from the audience (just not the wish-fulfillment variety).

What separates the concept in my head from that trope and the Anti Sue trope, is that the plot/story can live without them. It would be like... An extra character that serves no real purpose plot-wise getting an inexplicable amount of exposure as if they were actually important somehow. They would basically be a waste of time in a serious plot, contributing or affecting nothing of significance, yet might not be too divorced from a joke character in a comedic context. Ultimately, as opposed to a Mary Sue, whose presence usually warps the plot so it can't live without them, this character will most likely inspire questions like: "what's the point of this character's existence," or, "why do I feel like I just lost time that I can never get back."
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Vocaloid » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:57 am

Almost sounds like your making a Red Shirt Decree for the Anti Sue
Know Music, Know Life
No Music, No Life
Vocaloid
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:21 pm

Eh? But red shirts are the good guys' disposable lackeys. And even they can contribute something of significance to a story.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:13 am

Hmm, so you want something that is so useless that it isn't even funny. I can see where you are going, but I think, realistically, that the presence of the "anti-Sue" might just be the marker of an unabashedly bad story. If they aren't there for comedic purposes, and they steal the limelight for no purpose whatsoever, I think that basically just makes whatever story they are a part of hard to read.

That may be the entire point though. Or it could be late enough that my brain is missing something painfully obvious. That happens a lot too...
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:59 am

The Anti Sue still plays a role that affects the plot; they're still significant despite their obvious shortcomings. Like I mentioned before, in a comedic context what I picture to be the opposite of a Mary Sue wouldn't be far removed from being a joke character, but whatever they do to make you laugh has no bearing on the plot.

I would even say that they wouldn't need to be too stupid or incompetent, because their complete and utter unimportance makes such things irrelevant. They don't affect relationships (they're not interested in anyone, no one's interested in them, and whatever they do or say doesn't affect someone else's relationship with another person), they don't play a part in carrying the plot to its conclusion (for instance: the protagonist is trying to buy a watch, and they're selling death rays outside of the shop that sells them), and they may not even interact with any of the characters (they might always be seen doing something in the background instead, which the audience sees but the characters do not).
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:10 am

If it weren't for the relationship angle I would be asking "What about Naru/Molly" in Sailor Moon? Sure she was important at first but after you got past the Beryl episodes she's still in the scenery but not really much of anything to any of the plots.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:27 am

I'd say that Kasumi (from Ranma 1/2, of course) is probably a bit closer than Naru in that regard. Even though she didn't have much of a presence to begin with, she appears often enough and makes comments that the other characters often don't respond to or seem to acknowledge. Of course, there's still the occasional story where she does affect the plot, however minor.

In the end, both Kasumi and Naru can't qualify because they either have notable people attached to them, or vice versa. If Mary Sues make it obvious that they have friends, then the opposite would be someone with no apparent friends. Although having people hate them might not won't work, since that can behavior draw too much attention to them.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:08 pm

Sorta like the Flower Girl of Macross 7 then (a comedic version, at any rate)? She appears in nearly every episode of the series, says nothing, has no name, her sole purpose is to attempt (and fail) to give Nekki Basara a bunch of flowers.

As to naming the anti-sue, I once read a definition of a Mary Sue which called what you described in the first post as a variant form of Mary Sue. Unfortunately I can't remember where I read it (maybe wikipedia?).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shinji: Well suppose some mysterious entities were attacking, and
Asuka:Oh please, Baka Shinji, that sounds like some cheap, pseudo-profound T.V. show. Low budget. Ambiguous ending.
-Asuka and Shinji discussing why you would build a giant robot. NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol.6
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:36 pm

I haven't seen Macross 7, but that does sound applicable. Is there any reason for why she's trying to give them the flowers?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Vocaloid » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:08 pm

So your thinking the ladle lady from Ranma1/2 basicly
Know Music, Know Life
No Music, No Life
Vocaloid
Asteroid Senshi

Next

Return to Miscellaneous