Mary Sue backwards

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Re: Mary Sue backwards

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Almost. She was used as a plot device at least once.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Not to mention her being a running gag.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:57 pm

Is she, in the anime? I think she only makes one appearance in the manga, and I know she's used a lot in fan-fiction.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:00 pm

A short lived one back when they were still trying to work out how much comedy to have in the show. I remember 2 times in Manga and 3 in Anime. One of the Anime ones I think might have been on the way back from school... But right now I'm not thinking clearly so I might be confusing things.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:41 pm

"Mary Sue backwards" cannot exist.

Mary Sue is, in essence, a character maxed out by cheats (like your PC if you decided to continue Fallout 2 after its ending and read that book that maxes all your stats at 10 and skills at 300%).

So, basically, Mary Sue is "everything".
The true opposite of that would be "nothing". I.e. a character that has no strength, no charisma, no endurance, no luck... Who has no skills and cannot do anything. In short, a vegetable.
By their very virtue, such characters cannot survive. Even in the most benign of environments. Because when you cannot do anything, you'd need luck or toughness to survive. But the complete Mary Sue opposite couldn't have even that.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:25 pm

In that definition, then there can be no complete Mary Sue either, for how can they exist without a weak catch all counterpoint? Someone must be the fall out catcher for all the upheaval caused by the ultimate Mary Sue.
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:18 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:I haven't seen Macross 7, but that does sound applicable. Is there any reason for why she's trying to give them the flowers?

She's a fan of him and his music and wants to give him flowers. No other reason.

Personally, as much as I liked Macross 7 (and I liked it much more than Macross Plus) I think any episode could have been improved significantly by spending 10 minutes bashing Basara over the head with a 2X4 (and he's the main, male, lead).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shinji: Well suppose some mysterious entities were attacking, and
Asuka:Oh please, Baka Shinji, that sounds like some cheap, pseudo-profound T.V. show. Low budget. Ambiguous ending.
-Asuka and Shinji discussing why you would build a giant robot. NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol.6
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:35 am

Well, so long as there's no resolution (he receives the flowers and responds), she's an example of the kind of character I'm talking about.

Cheb wrote:"Mary Sue backwards" cannot exist.

Yes it can. It's just that your definition of a Mary Sue differs from what is generally accepted in an even more extreme way.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous