The big list of Clichés

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Postby Seraphim » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:59 am

Crescent Pulsar wrote:Which brings me to another cliche that this helped me to think of: the ginzuishou being considered as the moon's star seed. (For one, being that it had been in Queen Serenity's possession in the past, it probably came with her when she came to the Milky Way galaxy from another galaxy millions of years ago. It makes sense since it doesn't work like the other senshi's star seeds, nor does it make sense that the moon's would be any more significant in power/capability than any other moon, planet and star in the whole galaxy.)

In the manga it does eventually become her Sailor Crystal, but only in the fight against Nehelennia. At which point it's no longer called the Ginzuishou, but the Silver Moon Crystal.

So I suppose you could say that the ginzuishou isn't her Sailor Crystal but the Silver Moon Crystal certainly is. ^.~
"No, I'll just sit here like a well behaved ritual sacrifice." - Gary, Good Night Sweetheart

My DevArt
My Aerie of Ramblings
Random Natterings of a Spazz (My Anime/Games/whatever Blog)
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:45 am

Er... "Ginzuishou" means "silver crystal" in Japanese. It's made up of the words "gin" (silver) and "suishou" (crystal).
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Seraphim » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:39 pm

lwf58 wrote:Er... "Ginzuishou" means "silver crystal" in Japanese. It's made up of the words "gin" (silver) and "suishou" (crystal).

I know. :?

If it helps the Golden Crystal/Silver Moon Crystal are both written in katakana with English pronounciation, whereas the Ginzuishou is always in kanji/Japanese prounciation.

Check out the translations at Kurozuki.com, after the fight against Nehelennia it's never refered to as the Maboroshi no Ginzuishou.
"No, I'll just sit here like a well behaved ritual sacrifice." - Gary, Good Night Sweetheart

My DevArt
My Aerie of Ramblings
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby bissek » Mon May 07, 2007 6:22 pm

One cliche that came from (And as far as I know, is only found at) the MST section of http://www.tmffa.com:

Seiryou (A pink-haired, arrogant and useless Jurain noble from Tenchi Muyo) is the child of Chibi-Usa and Kuno.
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:38 pm

Hotaru/Sailor Saturn's powers are making her ill. This is often used in fanfics that take place after S. It has never made sense to me.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Metroidvania » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:40 pm

Well, the original sickness, I _think_, is because of Mistress 9 and the Tioron crystal inside her body, leeching at her lifeforce.

But once 9's gone, the sickness should be gone.
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Appointed "Universal Translator" by Cyber_Skaarj on July 22, 2006
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:02 pm

Metroidvania wrote:Well, the original sickness, I _think_, is because of Mistress 9 and the Tioron crystal inside her body, leeching at her lifeforce.

But once 9's gone, the sickness should be gone.
True Nine was the a large part if not the reason for her illness in the anime, and being a cyborg in the manga like had something to do with her illness, but I was talking about fanfics that take place after Nine is gone. After S Hotaru has to be one of most lively, and healthy senshi out there in canon, but fan fic writers seem to write her as being weak, and having the same health problems as when she had Nine in her, and it is often writen as a side effect of her senshi powers.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:07 pm

Part of that, I think, comes from her nature as being Saturn; 'the Soldier of Death can't be healthy, heavens no' is probably some of their justification, but her weakness as a result of Nine is compounded by the injuries she suffered in the lab explosion and her rehabilitation; instead of running around and playing with friends and deveoping her muscles, she's sitting inside recovering, and by that time Nine has begun a slow, steady drain of her energy to maintain herself. So Hotaru's weakness is partially natural, and I can see why a lot of authors assume that her accelerated growth in Stars would have similar consequences.

But what's this about the Tioron Crystal being a drain on her? I'm pretty sure the crystal soothed her during her attacks, didn't it?
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Metroidvania » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:13 pm

But weren't the seizures due to 9's influence in the first place, as a foreign presence inside her body?
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Appointed "Universal Translator" by Cyber_Skaarj on July 22, 2006
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:19 pm

Oh, the seizures are all Nine's fault; by weakness I'm talking about Hotaru's physical frailty.

Notice that Hotaru's seizures always seem to take place after she exerts herself too much or she uses her 'Lay on Hands' ability. The seizures are Nine's way of complaining when Hotaru uses too much energy and starts to use what Nine needs to stay alive.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:29 pm

Comartemis wrote:Part of that, I think, comes from her nature as being Saturn; 'the Soldier of Death can't be healthy, heavens no' is probably some of their justification, but her weakness as a result of Nine is compounded by the injuries she suffered in the lab explosion and her rehabilitation; instead of running around and playing with friends and deveoping her muscles, she's sitting inside recovering, and by that time Nine has begun a slow, steady drain of her energy to maintain herself. So Hotaru's weakness is partially natural, and I can see why a lot of authors assume that her accelerated growth in Stars would have similar consequences.

I can kind of see your point about the powers, but death seems to only be no more then half of her "element". Every full title I have ever heard for her has life and death as her thing.

In the anime Hotaru's only real health problem seemed to me to be the seizures due to 9's influence. She was suprisingly strong for her size I thought. Nine wanted Hotaru sad, lonely, and depressed.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:29 pm

I can kind of see your point about the powers, but death seems to only be no more then half of her "element". Every full title I have ever heard for her has life and death as her thing.

Life and death, so far as I know, is only her title in the manga, and even there it's a very vague connection. Saturn's role is to destroy the Earth so that Sailor Moon can resurrect it; she's not involved in the rebirth itself.

Crystal Tokyo is a dystopia where everyone other than the senshi are mindless smiling zombies controlled by the queen.

Why the hell is this treated as canon so frequently?

- Minako screws up sayings and turns-of-phrase every other minute. This one is canon, but it's also overdone in most stories.

- In Makoto vs NWC fights, Makoto is always depicted as being an inferior martial artist who relies even more on raw power than Akane does. Mako may not be able to measure up to most of the NWC but she is hardly limited to relying solely on brute force!

- And speaking of Makoto, people overuse her old "He looks like my old sempai!" line too much.

- Ranma is Makoto's old sempai.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:24 pm

Crystal Tokyo is a dystopia where everyone other than the senshi are mindless smiling zombies controlled by the queen.

Why the hell is this treated as canon so frequently?

For some odd reason, I tend to think of Crystal Tokyo as just a place where the center government has formed after the great ice, and that there's nothing 'dystopian' about it. People would go about their daily lives like normal.

It's just... that they have a queen who can control strong magic.

And speaking of Makoto, people overuse her old "He looks like my old sempai!" line too much.

I don't even remember hearing that overly used line once in my manga, or maybe I just missed it.
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Seraphim » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:03 pm

KonokoHasano wrote:I don't even remember hearing that overly used line once in my manga, or maybe I just missed it.

I only saw it alluded to vaguely in the manga, one of the Manga/Anime diffrences I guess

My DevArt
My Aerie of Ramblings
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:04 pm

Chirishman wrote:Nabiki is greedy beyond all reason to the point where she does stupid things that end up loosing her money.

Really? I thought that was canon- what do you call inviting all of Ranma's rivals & other fiancees to Ranma & Akane's wedding in order to get the resultant presents/gifts/money donations if not being greedy to the point of stupidity?
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous