The big list of Clichés

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Postby Seraphim » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:39 pm

Seraphim
Ranma doesn't neccisarrily need an opponents chi to create a tornado he just needs heat. If he wanted to he could probably throw a few mokotakabisha to heat up/energize the air and then create a hiryu shoten ha.

*nods* Fair enough point.
Ummm. S.M Cliche: The Senshi always have to pose/gesture and shout out their attacks to get them to work.
Ranma Cliche(from SaraT): Angsty angsty Ranma, who hates his life.
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Chirishman » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:43 am

Nabiki is greedy beyond all reason to the point where she does stupid things that end up loosing her money.
There's too much blood in my caffeine system.
Chirishman
Senshi Cadet

Postby Zwzn » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:14 am

S.M Cliches:
1. The time gate are really old.
(Last time I checked there was never an origin given for it, but the writers always seem to assume it is old. For all we know they may have been made in Crystal Tokyo)
2. Pluto is not sent back in time by Neo Queen Serenity to make sure events happen right, but is from pre-Beryl's attack during S and later arcs.
(The hole reason she appears in the anime is because Neo Queen Serenity told her to go back in time from Crystal Tokyo and do X things, and if I am remembering correctly she is reborn in the present because of Neo Queen Serenity's actions after she died from time stop at the end of R in the manga)
3. The tools and weapons the senshi use are really old.
(Last time I checked there was never an origin given for it, but the writers always seem to assume it is old. For all we know they may have been made in Crystal Tokyo)
Now off to sleep.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Tovath » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:08 am

Zwzn wrote:3. The tools and weapons the senshi use are really old.

Which tools are you talking about. If you are talking about the talisman then it is mentioned in the manga that they existed during the Silver Millennium
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Seraphim » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:39 am

Same for the Seihan, castles, and 'terminal' (Manga) and the Mercury Computer (Anime) and the Moon Wand (Both.)
"No, I'll just sit here like a well behaved ritual sacrifice." - Gary, Good Night Sweetheart

My DevArt
My Aerie of Ramblings
Random Natterings of a Spazz (My Anime/Games/whatever Blog)
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:12 am

Zwzn wrote:3. The tools and weapons the senshi use are really old.

Tovath wrote:Which tools are you talking about. If you are talking about the talisman then it is mentioned in the manga that they existed during the Silver Millennium
Mostly the talismens and Time gate because Pluto seems to have great control over them, but the Mercury computer that seems to always be up-grading and changing, Moon's weapons that seem to have been made to fight a monster of the week that was not seemingly around during the Silver Millennium, the transformation objects, and pretty much anything the senshi use could be far younger then it seems with a little creative use of time travel and there is no problem. It would also explain storge of said items seen in the anime.
I don't know what the Seihan and 'terminal' are. The castles I don't know much about, but they seem that they are there but not it seems.
I think I didn't word it right though. It was more why couldn't the things have been made in the future rather then the past. Every fic it seems has the stuff made in the past rather then the future.
Another cliche:
Sailor Pluto was born during the Silver Millennium. (In the anime at least she could have just been running missions in the past, and would explain the conflicting information we are given.)
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Seraphim » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:24 am

The Seihan (i.e. Holy Sword) or Maboroshi no Ginzuishou no Tsurugi was what the Senshi found on the Moon in the Manga.
The Senshi castles were in Silver Millennium, though only Venus', Neptune's, Uranus' and Pluto's were shown, and it was pretty obvious Venus lived in hers whenever she wasn't on the Moon. As far as the Outers castles Queen Serenity made them.
Terminal..? *scratches head* Well, terminal it'sself is recent, but not what it's the 'terminal' of. In this case it's the Eternity Main System, the Moon's main computer.
(Manga Items)
Items from the Silver Millennium
Moon Stick
Talismans
Garnet Rod
Silence Glaive
Castles
Seihan
Ginzuishou
Wink Chain
Venus Mike?
Crescent Compact?
First Broach?
First Pens?
Items from the 20th century
Cutie Moon Rod
Star Pens
Communicators
Holy Grail
Moon Kaliedoscope
Rainbow Moon Chalice
Eternal Form Wand-thingy
Mercury Lyre
Mars Arrow
Love Whip
Items from Crystal Tokyo
Luna-P
Pink Moon Stick
Spiral Heart Moon Rod (Gift from NQS)
"No, I'll just sit here like a well behaved ritual sacrifice." - Gary, Good Night Sweetheart

My DevArt
My Aerie of Ramblings
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:03 am

Seraphim wrote:The Seihan (i.e. Holy Sword) or Maboroshi no Ginzuishou no Tsurugi was what the Senshi found on the Moon in the Manga.
The Senshi castles were in Silver Millennium, though only Venus', Neptune's, Uranus' and Pluto's were shown, and it was pretty obvious Venus lived in hers whenever she wasn't on the Moon. As far as the Outers castles Queen Serenity made them.
Terminal..? *scratches head* Well, terminal it'sself is recent, but not what it's the 'terminal' of. In this case it's the Eternity Main System, the Moon's main computer.
(Manga Items)
Items from the Silver Millennium
Moon Stick
Talismans
Garnet Rod
Silence Glaive
Castles
Seihan
Ginzuishou
Wink Chain
Venus Mike?
Crescent Compact?
First Broach?
First Pens?
Items from the 20th century
Cutie Moon Rod
Star Pens
Communicators
Holy Grail
Moon Kaliedoscope
Rainbow Moon Chalice
Eternal Form Wand-thingy
Mercury Lyre
Mars Arrow
Love Whip
Items from Crystal Tokyo
Luna-P
Pink Moon Stick
Spiral Heart Moon Rod (Gift from NQS)
So, in the manga it is actually shown or at least told from a good source where, when, and by who made these thing? In the anime alot of stuff seems to just appear with little or no explanation like the wands the inners got in season 2.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Seraphim » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:28 am

All the Silver Millennium items have unknown origins, except the Outers castles, which Queen Serenity made for them.
Cutie Moon Rod: Was formed Usagi and Mamoru's joined powers.
Star Pens/Communicators: I assumed Luna and Artemis made them. *shrugs*
Holy Grail: Was formed by the combined power of all the Senshi apart from Saturn, could only be used when all Senshi are near and 'with their heart's as one', or something corny like that
Moon Kaleidoscopes: Were formed from a pair of regular kaleidoscopes that Usagi and ChibiUsa got in a carnival when they first transformed using 'Moon Crisis, Make Up'.
Rainbow Moon Chalice: The powered up form of Usagi's Holy Grail, formed just before her transformation into Eternal Sailor Moon. Is also used to transform Usagi into Eternal Sailor Moon.
Eternal Wand Thingy: Was formed at the same time as Usagi's first tranformation into ESM. Was probably formed the same way as the Cutie Moon Rod, only with all the Senshi plus ChibiUsa and Mamoru.
Mercury Lyre/Mars Arrow/Love Whip/Jupiter Wreath: Were formed at the same time the Inners first transformed using 'Crystal Power, Make Up'.
Luna-P: I think ChibiUsa said King Endymion made it.
Pink Moon Stick: Luna-P turned into it.
SHMR: Appeared in NQS's hand after Usagi and ChibiUsa defeited Death Phantom.

My DevArt
My Aerie of Ramblings
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:21 pm

Seraphim wrote:All the Silver Millennium items have unknown origins, except the Outers castles, which Queen Serenity made for them.
Cutie Moon Rod: Was formed Usagi and Mamoru's joined powers.
Star Pens/Communicators: I assumed Luna and Artemis made them. *shrugs*
Holy Grail: Was formed by the combined power of all the Senshi apart from Saturn, could only be used when all Senshi are near and 'with their heart's as one', or something corny like that
Moon Kaleidoscopes: Were formed from a pair of regular kaleidoscopes that Usagi and ChibiUsa got in a carnival when they first transformed using 'Moon Crisis, Make Up'.
Rainbow Moon Chalice: The powered up form of Usagi's Holy Grail, formed just before her transformation into Eternal Sailor Moon. Is also used to transform Usagi into Eternal Sailor Moon.
Eternal Wand Thingy: Was formed at the same time as Usagi's first tranformation into ESM. Was probably formed the same way as the Cutie Moon Rod, only with all the Senshi plus ChibiUsa and Mamoru.
Mercury Lyre/Mars Arrow/Love Whip/Jupiter Wreath: Were formed at the same time the Inners first transformed using 'Crystal Power, Make Up'.
Luna-P: I think ChibiUsa said King Endymion made it.
Pink Moon Stick: Luna-P turned into it.
SHMR: Appeared in NQS's hand after Usagi and ChibiUsa defeited Death Phantom.
Could you be more specific? It makes it sound as if things just appear out of nowhere. How did Queen Serenity make the castles?
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Seraphim » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:24 am

Zwzn wrote:Could you be more specific? It makes it sound as if things just appear out of nowhere. How did Queen Serenity make the castles?

Most of the things do just appear out of nowhere, and all we're shown of Queen Serenity making the castles is holding a glowing light (the Ginzuishou?) to her chest and the castles coming out of it.

My DevArt
My Aerie of Ramblings
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Winchester » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:18 am

Clichés, eh?

Naruto:

* The Kyuubi no Kitsune is actually quite nice and really wants the best for Naruto

* Henge are completely physical transformations, to the point where Naruto's "Oiroke no Jutsu" actually turns him into a fully functional female

* Sasuke secretly having a crush on *anyone*

Ranma:

* Ranma comes back to Nerima after a long absence, with variations (with own kid, adopted kid, finds all his fiancées married or otherwise unavailable, etc).

* Anyone at all celebrating their victory over Ranma by raping his girl form

* Ranma secretly having expertise in an area (nominally) unrelated to martial arts

* Ranma swearing on his honor as a martial artist (does he actually ever do that in the Manga/Anime?)

* Akane really knows about Ryoga's curse

* Ranma gains enough mastery of Ki to turn into a dragon

Sailor Moon:

* Pluto loses her powers or becomes unavailable in a crisis situation

* A senshi gets killed and Usagi can't revive her

SP
Winchester
Senshi Cadet

Postby Darth Thanatos » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:18 pm

Someone gets kidnapped usually Akane

Pale Wolf wrote:You keep hearing about someone wanting to do something different and write Ranma getting kidnapped, but I've never actually seen one of these...

Try: The Shadow Chronicles. Besides the "Ranma gets kidnapped" anticliche, you will have the "the Kunos have a good reason for being the nutcases they are" cliche, though it's not the "the Kunos were a normal family until their mother died" cliche. The Kuno mother is alive and the Kunos have never been a "normal" family.

I noticed people throw mixed canon cliches and fandom "fact" cliches, without much distinction about them. I also noticed most of them are related to Ranma and Sailor Moon (well duh! :) ) but what about Tenchi and Oh! my goddess! #2 and #3 common xover elements with those?

like:

-Jurai and the Silver Millennium were aware of each other (allies/enemies).
-Tenchi and Ranma are cousins
-Due to being redhaired, Ranma and Washuu are relatives (insert really longwinded explanation here)
-Akane is Amaterasu's avatar (wait, one fanfic doesn't make a cliche!)
-Akane is Skuld's avatar (Akane doesn't use just mallets, but whatever she has at hand. Skuld does, though.) The mallet confusion, though, brought Ranma into the timeline of "Chaotic future" by Cloud Dreamer, an interesting source of cliches.
Ne volnuites, Aeria Gloris

Midboss rank Z, promoted by "Ice Cream Thief" Himitsu on 2007-03-21
Darth Thanatos
"I am still a powerpuff girl!"

Postby P.H. Wise » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:12 pm

Uh, is it just me, or are some of these "cliches" actually just in one or two fanfics total?
Hige sceal þe heardra || heorte þe cenre,
mod sceal þe mare || þe ure mægen lytlað.
P.H. Wise
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:12 pm

Winchester wrote:* Ranma swearing on his honor as a martial artist (does he actually ever do that in the Manga/Anime?)

When he finds out about Ryoga having a curse, he does make a sort of oath concerning a warrior's code or somesuch. But that's the only instance I can recall offhand where he did something like that.

No for some thingies from me:

1: Pluto doing anything other than guarding the time gate in the fourth dimension. (Much like how Saturn had been sealed away by Queen Serenity, Pluto was a secret guardian. When Luna had come upon the "time gate" during the Silver Millennium, the Queen had urged her to forget what she had seen. Even during Crystal Tokyo, Chibi-Usa had to go to her, where she always stood guard.)

2: Ranma ends up being engaged to more people (girls or guys), or acquires more love interests in him/her. If it's a crossover, the engagement and love interest theme will try and mirror the one he has in Ranma 1/2 (such as a violent girl that won't admit her feelings (like Ayeka in place of Akane), one that's overly affectionate (like Minako in place of Shampoo), et cetera).

3: If Ryoga's missing, or isn't a main character, then he's substituted by another, such as Ryoko (Tenchi Muyo), and Ranma has to deal with their revenge or whatever it is they have against him.

4: Ranma using the umisen-ken after taking care of Ryu Kumon.

5: Pantyhose being mistaken for a Youma. XD

6: Ranma reaches some inner/hidden part of himself and ascends/becomes more than he is during or after his fight with Saffron.

6B: Akane usually dies either way.

7: Cologne is really, really out to get Ranma hitched with Shampoo despite all of the times she could have aided him conditionally (instead of unconditionally, like she tended to do if she or Shampoo hadn't been the cause of the problem that he needed help with, whether if Ranma knew or not.

8: Curing Tofu's behavior around Kasumi.

9: Ranma's intelligence is lacking despite there being no evidence that he does poorly academically. (In fact, I'd think that he's at least above average by the way he figures out how things work, such as the hiryu shoten ha, how to use the hiryu shoten ha in other ways, and especially how he'd managed his final attack against Ryu Kumon.)

9B: Ranma's more intelligent only when he's fighting.

10: A bigger deal is made about his manhood, either due to his father's attitude/mother's perception or because (as mentioned before) he actually thinks that girls are weak.

11: Ranma is afraid of anything remotely feline in any way, visually or audibly; even if he or someone else mentions a feline word (usually "cat"). (This is despite the fact that he can say "cat", "lion" and "tiger" without a problem. He also rode a tiger for a brief moment without any qualms.)
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous