The big list of Clichés

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

The big list of Clichés

Postby DCG » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:36 pm

It has been some what covered in other threads and in deferent places.
But let’s put together our own list of clichés we find in X’overs and other fiction.
I’m putting together a list of Ranma, SM, X’over, and general fiction clichés. To be used in future Fukufics events.
List will be updated as people more creative then I add there input.
Starting with some easy ones.

Ranma
1. Genma is fat and lazy.
2. Akane uses a mallet on ranma if he so much as breaths in the same room as her.
3. Saffron as a god
4. Ranma hates weapons.
5. Ranma is obsessive about “Honor” and “the art”
6. Ryoga attacks ranma every time they meet. (it’s true but cliché)
7. Ranma hates dressing in girl cloths.
8. Ranma hates using make up(in fact Ranma’s girl body comes equipped with eye shadow and eye liner as standard options. She seems to know this and abuses it often), proper underwear, and panty-hose.
9. Saint Nabiki the money winner for the family.
10. Saint Kasumi who can do no wrong.
11. Nodoka the sword master. Jurai, Hiten, you name it she knows it.
12. Nodoka wants grandchildren and don’t care how she gets them.
13. Ranma's curse has some deep mystical or psychological meaning to it. (Takahashi just thought it would be fun to draw)
Sailor Moon
1. Pluto knows every thing.
2. Pluto can effect “time” in any way she wants.
X’over
1. Pluto/Setsuna Is a hard up lesbian who can’t wait to get her hands on Ranma-chan.

*updated!*
Last edited by DCG on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Pale Wolf » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:42 pm

Saffron is a god, or for that matter divine in the slightest.
Ranma has some kind of distaste for using weapons.
Related to the above, but not quite: Ranma somehow gets worse when using a weapon, as if he somehow has to start up from scratch.
Ranma is obsessive about his 'honour'.
While we're at it: 'the Art', god that phrase is annoying.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby GenocideHeart » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:46 pm

Pale Wolf wrote:Saffron is a god, or for that matter divine in the slightest.
Ranma has some kind of distaste for using weapons.
Related to the above, but not quite: Ranma somehow gets worse when using a weapon, as if he somehow has to start up from scratch.
Ranma is obsessive about his 'honour'.
While we're at it: 'the Art', god that phrase is annoying.

To be fair, Ranma doesn't LIKE to use weapons, but he's proficient at them as part of his training. He just prefers to use his fists, when faced with a choice.
"When the Planessss burnnnn and all life is torchesss, then Ignusss ssshall at lassst... be at peace..."
--Ignus, Planescape: Torment
"Know that for all who betray justice, I am their fate. And fate carries an executioner's axe."
--Vhailor, Planescape: Torment
GenocideHeart
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:16 pm

Not particularly...
I mean, he's never hesitated a second when he got his hands on the Kinjakan or Gekkaja. He uses his fists because they're enough, most of the time, and I've never seen him indicate any distaste for weapons - considering the guy went up against Mousse in his own many-weapon style, I consider it unlikely.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Shadow General » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:24 pm

For a change of pace, here's a Sailor Moon cliche...
Pluto knows everything and is manipulating events.
Shadow General
Senshi Candidate

Postby EdenB » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:21 pm

1) Ranma doesn't where anything but his red top and black trousers.
Not an obvious one, but it's always shown as that's the only thing he wears.
2) Akane mallets/punches/violently launches Ranma into Lower Earth Orbit alá Team Rocket regularly. Often ending up in other wards, unknown places and occasionally outside of Japan.
EdenB
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:32 pm

Ryoga always appears and attacks.
Ryoga always should some variation of 'You have made my life hell'.
Ranma hates dressing in girl clothes or using make up, and would never do it.
Nabiki knows everything and manipulates everyone a la Pluto cliche. So that's where Pluto came from, Nabiki grew up.
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:04 pm

Ranma hates dressing in girl clothes or using make up, and would never do it.

And thus this whole board isn't as anti-canon as some think. Was planning to mention this, but wasn't quite sure how to word it.
And it looks like I get to be the one to mention one of this board's most hated fanon cliches: Nabiki the saint, the lone source of income for her poor family...

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Togashi Gaijin » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:17 pm

... not to mention the ever-popular: Nodoka is obsessed with getting grandchildren.
Togashi Gaijin
Senshi Cadet

Postby Pale Wolf » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:28 pm

On the topic of Nodoka...
People from the old board know my feelings for her, but I'll try to tone down the ranting.
First cliche: she can use a sword - I've seen Juraian, Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu, whatever, but she sucks.
Second: Nodoka is, at all, in any way, shape, or form, a decent person or a good mother. Or, for that matter, wants to be.

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:30 pm

Nabiki the saint.

Kasumi is a saint who doesn't even think bad thoughts, rather than just being unfailingly polite.
Miss Manners anyone?
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby Battlekrome » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:58 pm

Sailor Moon
Most youma or whatever are mindless beasts that rampage without thought
how brainless the opposing force to SM crew is (or at least seem)
general lack of any tactics at all...
Ranma
Mallet-sama... akane using just the mallet to hit ranma
Happosai only glomping ranma/akane and such but not nabiki and kasumi
as a side note i really don't think kasumi is a saint..
more of a zen master or something...
can't remember where in manga this is but iirc kasumi actually does a throw on happosai to stop him going after ranma... anyone remember when... or do i need to do a dive through what ranma manga i have?
Through the sands of time I walk. Beyond time and space i call to those who awaken to the darkness and realize they are the light.
Battlekrome
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Yarrow » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:21 pm

Akane's cooking is so terrible that her attempts will either kill any normal person who eats them or come to life and destroy the city.
Crystal Tokyo is a dystopia where everyone other than the senshi are mindless smiling zombies controlled by the queen.
Yarrow
Senshi Candidate

Postby EdenB » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:29 pm

Sailor Moon:
Usagi always without fail acts dumb and flighty (she does on occasion act serious).
Michiru is the one who reprimands Haruka, while Haruka is the one who flirts with everyone (often used cliché, even though Michiru flirts a little herself in the anime and never says anything about Haruka's flirting).
Ranma:
Xian Pu's tribe treat men as slaves/second class (It's never been stated, but often used).
Akane hurting Ranma in whatever way for any small percieved slight.
Ranma being locked as a girl.
XOver:
Haruka wants Ranma-chan (proberly would be true, but still used enough to be a cliché).
Ranma becomes a Sailor Senshi. It's something that happens in so many crossovers that it's expected, so it's pretty much a cliché.
EdenB
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:45 pm

Not just that Haruka wants Ranma-chan, but Michiru makes sure to "correct" her thinking....
Here's an annoying cliche -- Ranma and Akane love each other enough that everything will be 100% OK (what other fiancess?) if they just say it out loud.
-Joshua
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Next

Return to Miscellaneous