The big list of Clichés

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Postby Metroidvania » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:37 am

Ryoga being lost has its moments, but some fics have him showing up EVERYWHERE Ranma goes....
Anyways, another cliche
Ranma/SM
Ranma is the Twin or other direct sibling of a Senshi, and has either forgotten his/her powers due to evil (or Queen Serenity), or has all of his/her memories, and suddenly shows up to save the day against the new enemy....
EDIT: Also, the Senshi/whatever new crossover people that are new in Ranma's life swears to really hurt Genma for the training trip. Yes, it's the probably reaction, but it's been done to death......
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Appointed "Universal Translator" by Cyber_Skaarj on July 22, 2006
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:40 am

That reminds me of another one that I might have mentioned earlier, or another thread -- when somehow the enemy (be it SM world, Ranma world, or whatever) is somehow inexplacably more powerful than shown in canon. Often people die when they never did...or whatever.
-Joshua
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Metroidvania » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:35 pm

Know this is only exaggerated, but it gets on my nerves.
Ranma.
Hinako _always_ calls Ranma (and Akane and Ukyo at times) delinquents.
I just re-read through her intro, and she only calls him a variant of that a couple of times.....not every single time she says his name.
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Jadedmagus » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:27 pm

Someone gets kidnapped usually Akane

Pale Wolf wrote:You keep hearing about someone wanting to do something different and write Ranma getting kidnapped, but I've never actually seen one of these...

The only one I have seen, and it was only really mentioned in passing was in Ozallos's "Kunoification". The only Ranma/Tatewaki fic that didn't leave me with a violently upset stomach...
And to keep on track (though similar ones have been stated)
Kasumi has an aura of goodness/divine blessing/ect and everyone is deferential to her as such.
Jadedmagus
Senshi Cadet

Postby Seraphim » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:58 am

SaraT - Anime Addventure wrote:The Senshi with power levels lower then then at the very beginning fo their series, and their intelligence halved - even when the setting is at After Galaxia, for instance.

My Reply: It seem to be closely related to Ranma/SM fic cliche, "Ranma owns all the Senshi combined"
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Tovath » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:50 pm

You keep hearing about someone wanting to do something different and write Ranma getting kidnapped, but I've never actually seen one of these...

You can see Ranma get kidnapped in Ranma 2nd Time Around, I think. Ranma gets hit on the head and thinks he's a girl Right around the time Kirren shows up.
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:31 am

SaraT - Anime Addventure wrote:The Senshi with power levels lower then then at the very beginning fo their series, and their intelligence halved - even when the setting is at After Galaxia, for instance.

Seraphim wrote:My Reply: It seem to be closely related to Ranma/SM fic cliche, "Ranma owns all the Senshi combined"
They as a hole post stars anime would not be more powerful(likely less) then Ranma's normal play mates, but they lack the skill. The anime Sailor Senshi are weak idiots with glass jaws by Ranma manga standers.
Anime Moon has to much of a charge time for her to be afective agenst Ranma. Ranma could steal the silver crystal or wand by the time she was half way through her attack or have run away. It's not like the target is frozen in place.
THe cliche I hate the most is Ranma suddenly can't even slow down the monster of the week.
Another cliche I dislike is the senshi are suddenly NWC level fighters with never showing said skill level before.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Seraphim » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:42 pm

The Anime Senshi are weak but I don't think they're quite that weak.
Venus survived an exploding warehouse/building without to much trouble.
Moon also survived a direct blast from Pharoah 90, too.

The charge time: Artistic licence? 'Cause there have been instances the Moon has just pointed her wand at something, said the attack and 'boom'.
I doubt the NWC could do what the Inners did at the end of SuperS
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Climhazard » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:15 pm

The Anime Senshi are weak but I don't think they're quite that weak.
Venus survived an exploding warehouse/building without to much trouble.

Weeeell... In Stars, one of villians throw Senshi into school wall using telekinesis... Wall dont even break, but Senshi cant stand after this. So they definitly weaker that NWC(at least physically).
Moon also survived a direct blast from Pharoah 90, too.

Senshi have good defence against magik... And poor against physicall force.
- Carry the Emperor´s will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

- Even in death I still serve! (C) Dreadnought
Climhazard
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:00 am

Seraphim wrote: The Anime Senshi are weak but I don't think they're quite that weak.
Ranma in girl form is stronger then anime(and likely manga) Jupiter, and he is at least as fast as Moon and Uranus.
Seraphim wrote: Venus survived an exploding warehouse/building without to much trouble.
Can you give more detail? I can't place the event.
Seraphim wrote: Moon also survived a direct blast from Pharoah 90, too.
Those blast where weak. The blasts didn't seem to do anything to things only a few meters farther back. I also don't thing it was a direct blast from Pharoah 90. I think P90 was aiming at the Earth.
Nine/Hotaru also took one of those hits, and she was unprepared. A suprise attack will generally hurt you more then one you see coming IMO.

Seraphim wrote: The charge time: Artistic licence? 'Cause there have been instances the Moon has just pointed her wand at something, said the attack and 'boom'.
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Pagoda/1641/?20051
http://www.genvid.com/lunarch/faqyou/magical.html
This is not to say, however, that all of the Sailor Soldiers' magical attacks can be performed at the drop of a hat. Tuxedo Mask had to keep Kaolinite distracted for quite a while while the Inner Soldiers charged up their "Sailor Planet Attack" in Episode 102 and Eudial not only had enough time to go and retrieve her Fire Buster from her car but also to use it to counter the "Moon Spiral Heart Attack" that was headed her way in Episode 109. In both of these instances, some kind of compensation for the delay or lag time between the initiation and the completion of the magical attack quite literally spelled the difference between success (in the former case) and failure (in the latter case). Just goes to show that this whole matter isn't quite so cliché after all.
The charge time weakness is real. The attacks that use Moon's power are all pink because Moon's power is pink.
Seraphim wrote:I doubt the NWC could do what the Inners did at the end of SuperS
The senshi got the crap beaten out of them, and they didn't even hurt Nefilaina. Moon servives the fall at the end only because of a plot device. Why Moon didn't just have Pluto grab Chibi-Usa after she was thrown over the edge is beyound me. I mean Moon used Pluto in R and S.
The NWC would not have just stood there and let Nefy blast them.
The blasts did not seem that powerful when compared to some of the hits many of the NWC have taken.
The NWC seem faster and stronger then Nefy.
Ranma, Muose, and Ryoga could likely save Chibi-Usa without a plot device saving them.
Ranma seems to be able to float on air and make twisters.
Muose likely has something up his sleeve that could have helped.
Ryoga just gets lost on the way down and a day or two later he sends a letter to the Tendos.
I place the senshi about at Akane's level of tuffness if slightly above, and I think Akane is stronger then any of the senshi, and a better fighter.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Metroidvania » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:19 am

I wouldn't say that....actually, I've found that itself to be a cliche.
Akane having more skill than say....Uranus? From the manga, not much skill is involved. While it's true that's because she's pretty much overshadowed by everyone else, she's still only got some kempo, if I recall the first volume correctly.
And more speed?
Like as not, the Senshi's outfits do more than just make them look pretty.
They do have several power-up capabilities, which would likely put Senshi at above Akane's level in toughness and speed.
As for strength, Akane hurts her hand smashing either a brick wall or the Dojo destroyer, I can't remember which, and she can barely use her hands afterwards after she reinjures them. Pretty sure that wouldn't happen to the Senshi.
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby bissek » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:53 am

This is getting off topic. A debate of relative strengths of Senshi vs NWC belongs in either the Ranma section or the SM section. Let's get back to the cliches here.
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby Seraphim » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:04 pm

Zwzn wrote: Ranma in girl form is stronger then anime(and likely manga) Jupiter, and he is at least as fast as Moon and Uranus.

I never said they physically stronger than the NWC.
Can you give more detail? I can't place the event.

It happened when she was still Sailor V and in London.
Those blast where weak. The blasts didn't seem to do anything to things only a few meters farther back. I also don't thing it was a direct blast from Pharoah 90. I think P90 was aiming at the Earth.

*shrugs* Well, P90 could have aiming at the earth. Though IIRC, the blast hit Moon split in two and continued aleast 2 *maybe*, 3 metres behind her
Nine/Hotaru also took one of those hits, and she was unprepared. A suprise attack will generally hurt you more then one you see coming IMO.

Fair enough.
The senshi got the crap beaten out of them, and they didn't even hurt Nefilaina. Moon servives the fall at the end only because of a plot device. Why Moon didn't just have Pluto grab Chibi-Usa after she was thrown over the edge is beyound me. I mean Moon used Pluto in R and S.

*smacks forehead* Sorry I got the series mixed up, I meant the Pink Daimon Gloop. *blinks* How did Moon 'use' Pluto? :?
The NWC would not have just stood there and let Nefy blast them.

*scratches head* Hum, looks like I'll have to watch that again...
The blasts did not seem that powerful when compared to some of the hits many of the NWC have taken.

There's likely a difference between damage of physical kind, than damage of the energy kind.
The NWC seem faster and stronger then Nefy.

Physically? Yes. Sheer energy output? No.
Ranma seems to be able to float on air and make twisters.

He needs an opposing chi to do that, you know.
Muose likely has something up his sleeve that could have helped.

A potty? :lol: j/k j/k :)
Ryoga just gets lost on the way down and a day or two later he sends a letter to the Tendos.

Huh?? :?
bissek wrote:This is getting off topic. A debate of relative strengths of Senshi vs NWC belongs in either the Ranma section or the SM section. Let's get back to the cliches here.

Aye, aye! Cap'n!
Seraphim
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Metroidvania » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:38 pm

bissek wrote:This is getting off topic. A debate of relative strengths of Senshi vs NWC belongs in either the Ranma section or the SM section. Let's get back to the cliches here.

Guilty. Apologies.
As for a crossover, Ranma either has really really vague memories of his past life, or somehow knows more than all the Senshi, including Pluto, about the _real_ past of the Silver Millenium.
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:57 pm

There is already a thread for debating Ranma (manga) vs Sailormoon (anime) http://www.fukufics.com/viewtopic.php?t=614
Seraphim
Ranma doesn't neccisarrily need an opponents chi to create a tornado he just needs heat. If he wanted to he could probably throw a few mokotakabisha to heat up/energize the air and then create a hiryu shoten ha.
Cliche: The Sailor senshi do some kind of stupid speech and pose, Enemy or allies laugh.
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

My Blog: http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous