FF.net deleted my scene breaks!

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Re: FF.net deleted my scene breaks!

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed May 05, 2010 10:59 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:Does it work to just use a space to separate scenes? Because I prefer to have my paragraphs together but indented.

I tried doing some Norse poetry in Ryoga's Terrible Horrible No Good Really Bad Day. In this style, you have extra space in the middle of the line to help show where the stresses go. So I indented the lines, and put the spaces in the middle, and by the time the parser got done everything was left-justified and single-spaced. I put in a couple dashes as a substitute, but beware: you really cannot count on your formatting being preserved.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby PCHeintz72 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:18 pm

Cheb wrote:I constantly improve on my story compiler software to generate working ffnet versions (in addition to the main version I post on my home page).
It now replaces all "%" with "percent", "=" with "equals" and the asterisks disappear making the text they frame bold.

Luckily, I've been already using a dedicated formatting directive to insert separators (a graphical thingie and all) so I just added a rule to insert "<br>" there for the ffnet version.
Still, the one who wrote that filter is a jerk-ass. That's saying it mildly.

I wrote something like that once... I have basically what amounts to a file scanning routine go through the file... and characters in the ascii character set that are out of range, it replaces them with something that is in range...

I have something similar in my Lister program... because of the way URLs and Favorite/bookmark names are handled by Browsers, XML, OPML, and HTML formats (CSV, BBC, BB2, and TXT are not a issue), I have a filtering stage scanning and replacing characters with acceptable codes instead that will still work.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed May 05, 2010 4:23 pm

FF.net sounds like a pain to publish things on. Does it still make it impossible to end a sentence with a "!?"?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed May 05, 2010 4:27 pm

I've seen it delete second punctuation characters. Not often but it has happened after some of the more recent updates.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Tovath » Wed May 19, 2010 11:10 am

I use a line of x's (xxxx) for breaks
“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”
-Hanlon's Razor

"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much."
-Oscar Wilde

Senshi of Puck
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Thu May 20, 2010 10:41 pm

If you exceed a certain length of the same character repeated (I think this is a recent thing) it sometimes deletes them Tovath.

Alternating characters and/or changing capitalization seems to help.

I've just taken to using their line break feature to insert horizontal lines... it's a pain but at least I know it stays formatted the way I want it to be.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby claymade » Mon May 24, 2010 11:08 pm

FYI, they've added another new "feature" to their filter... Now, all instances of a double dash--for example, parentheticals like this one--are now shortened to a single "-" character.

Best part? It's retroactive. Applied to all existing chapters already posted, as far as I can see.

The single extended dash character "—" still seems to work, though.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon May 24, 2010 11:17 pm

God, that's going to be annoying. I've been considering uploading my stories there, but it keeps on coming up with more things to convince me not to. It's becoming more inconvenient, and it's bad for prose.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby claymade » Tue May 25, 2010 1:06 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:God, that's going to be annoying. I've been considering uploading my stories there, but it keeps on coming up with more things to convince me not to. It's becoming more inconvenient, and it's bad for prose.

Ugh. It's normally not this bad, but every once in a blue moon they pull something like this and it's a royal pain. Personally I find it still worth posting there overall, though times like this do make me a bit irate.

Positive side--although the filters strip it out, it's still there in the raw data. So if you export it, you can to a quick find-and-replace between "--" and "—" if you have the firefox extension for search and replace on a website and then re-save it after checking it. It's made things marginally less heinous as I plow through my posted chapters.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby AshK1980 » Tue May 25, 2010 6:54 pm

I usually use the horizontal Rule button for scene breaks.
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Wed May 26, 2010 4:57 am

Thanks for the heads-up. I had a couple instances of '--' that I needed to edit. :( (Well, and a ?! and !! that I didn't realize were in the story I posted, too. -_-; )
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed May 26, 2010 6:59 am

...Talk like this is making me consider just leaving my stuff on Mediaminer and being done with it.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed May 26, 2010 11:00 am

Well Media Miner is more friendly to formatting (Not allot) but they are easier on it. And content. You can rate your chapters for specific audiences all the way up to Adults only. Even going to the extent of only allowing registered Adults to access them for another layer of Censure between youth who might not be mature enough for your work.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed May 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Yeah, I noticed. I've been posting my stuff at both places for some years, and I'm starting to get more and more annoyed with FF.Net's setup as time moves on.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed May 26, 2010 10:11 pm

I must have stumbled upon the Golden Mean formatting - I simply have not had any trouble with FFnet after a few early experiences. And while I've used both sites, I think I prefer FFnet to MediaMiner.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous