FF.net deleted my scene breaks!

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Re: FF.net deleted my scene breaks!

Postby Shanami » Wed May 26, 2010 10:47 pm

Once I figured out what was going on, it didn't cause any more problems. I just didn't realize for 2 months and wound up having to reformat everything I'd posted which really sucked.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby gsteemso » Thu May 27, 2010 12:53 pm

Their filters apply to private messages sent through their system, too. Gods help you if you try to tell someone that their chapters are unlikely to get much of an audience unless longer than 2000 words — it will come out as “200”. I hadn’t realized this would happen to any run of more than two identical characters.

I was forced to convert to the <HR> style of scene break a long time ago, which was very annoying as I already been using that to delimit the title & author’s notes and stuff at the beginning and end of each chapter. The damn thing won’t let you put two <HR>s in a row to make a higher-level scene break, either, though I managed to get around that (sort of) by inserting a paragraph with just a lone period in between two of them. It’s only a little bit hideous.

I should point out, also, that it is inherent in HTML that runs of spaces/newlines/tabs telescope down to a single space. This was done deliberately so that the formatting in the source code would not “bleed through” into the displayed version. The annoying thing is that FFnet filters out all varieties of non-breaking space characters, so you can’t get around it in a simple way. I had a workaround for a while where I alternated Unicode ZERO-WIDTH NON-JOINER characters and ordinary spaces, but the evil sods defeated that one a couple of years ago. I haven’t tried inserting other zero-width formatting characters instead (there are many), but I’m guessing if they nailed one they’ll have nailed them all.
The world’s only gsteemso
gsteemso
Senshi Cadet

Postby Makoto » Thu May 27, 2010 3:43 pm

The filters apply to the profiles, too, of course. The first time I actually typed anything in my profile, it ate a smiley. ^_^;
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby AshK1980 » Fri May 28, 2010 8:12 am

It doesn't let me underline my Bold and Italicized pre-chapter title area or let me use underline when I have bolded and italicized To Be Continued... either for some reason. It only allows me to Italicize and bold it. Although, where I put the preview, it usually let's me underline my bolded and italicized Next time: but for some reason it doesn't want to underline anything else. If it doesn't let you underline, why the heck is there an underline button?
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri May 28, 2010 9:59 am

Because when they put their heads up their anus and decided to get rid of all URL's and web addresses in pages they also removed the Underlines but they never took away the button.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby AshK1980 » Fri May 28, 2010 10:38 am

That's funny, because I can put a url on my profile page. On my main account and the joint one I have with my cowriter on New Lives Galactic Guardians A and Galactic Senshi Emma. I still do post my stories on fanfiction.net though.
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri May 28, 2010 10:57 am

PC warning message ate the word story. I thought I had typed story pages.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby AshK1980 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:00 am

No worries. I wonder why they got rid of underlines. I can understand why they got rid of URL's, but not underlines.
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Mon May 31, 2010 4:11 am

Maybe someone was abusing them in a story, I don't know. I know they did that in the occasional profile - there were times when every other profile I encountered abused underline, bold and italics for practically ALL the text (and most of it the "if <insert random condition here>, then copy this to your profile"-type stuff). Long lists of those in bold and underline...
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Kilich » Mon May 31, 2010 7:45 am

Scene breaks dissapeared from my stories as well. Now, even though I put a lot of effort in formatting, they are walls of text and I don't want to do it all over again.
Kilich
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon May 31, 2010 7:58 am

My breaks are still there - a centered oOo seems to have escaped their attentions yet again.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby AshK1980 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:34 am

I just use the Horizontal rule button. That's my way of breaking the scenes.
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:41 am

Yeah you kinda told us that on the previous page of this thread.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby AshK1980 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:48 am

Sorry. I am back to repeating myself again.
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:25 pm

It now deletes "extra" exclamation and question marks -- for example, "?!!" will become "?" and so on.
I defeated this by using Japanese exclamation and question marks for any sequences longer than one. Like this: "Huh?!!"
The question mark is ?(compare to ?)
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous