In Regards to Anime Adventure

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

In Regards to Anime Adventure

Postby frice2000 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:43 pm

So I posted three stories on this site the other day under the name 'Bree R' and all of them are going to get deleted because they aren't up to some sort of proofread standard. Excuse me? The chain I wrote them off of was abysmal grammatically and for spelling. It's not like I had any sort of awful errors that I could point out on hundreds of other stories on there.

So my question is simply is this a common thing? I'm honestly quite offended and have no copies even if I was going to resubmit them which I am not. Quite simply considering how awful many of the chains are I'm extremely offended. Honestly, no longer going to view or contribute to that site any longer if they interact in such a manner. I could understand if the work was unreadable but I had some quite good responses to it but seemingly the administrator thought they should just be removed. I don't have much confidence in myself or skills in writing in particular and this really hurts for me since I thought they were at the least readable and interesting. To have them just deleted...

In any event even if this is a common thing I am gone off that site.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Re: In Regards to Anime Adventure

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:14 pm

More likely they are cutting out the earlier fics but can't really keep yours because there's no link to other addventures anymore. And so they sent the notice out to everyone with pages along the line of the thread.

You said yourself the earlier parts had much worse grammatical errors.

As to it being common. I think its more likely to be a relatively recent development. I mean sure every once in a while I find where threads have been lost but a great deal of the older work has been around for nearly a decade. I'd think its more likely bad luck for trying to continue a barely readable (Due to phrasing) plot line.

I kinda wish they could have been less draconian about it though. Changing it to a fate split with a summery of the previous episode or something instead of just killing everything branching from the nearly unreadable thread.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:18 pm

frice2000 wrote:I'm honestly quite offended and have no copies even if I was going to resubmit them which I am not.

I remember the old days of typewriters, when Xerox machines were uncommon and expensive. Then, it wasn't unusual to send something off and no longer have a copy. Lost a lot of things that way. Today we have computers. We can compose offline, then upload. There's no longer a reason to not have a copy.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Konsaki » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:57 pm

Not to dog-pile on you Frice but Ellen does have a very valid point. Add into the fact that if you used a word processing program to write your work, you would most likely have some form of rudimentary proofreading already done via the program.
I do have to ask, even though I see you're in NJ/NY, is English your primary language or an additional one? If English isn't your primary language, I can see why you might be having more issues with grammatical errors than otherwise.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:19 pm

That's the thing the grammar was in my opinion acceptable. Granted it wasn't perfect but there were no spelling or other super common errors. It could have been cleaner if I had spent a hours or more on it but I was satisfied with what I had written for informal submission to what I assumed was a place to have fun and do a little bit of experimentation with stories.

Why didn't I write it in a word processor? I wrote it on my Netbook on the fly between cooking dinner and then a little bit after. Found a cute story and just kept typing an expansion for it and didn't think to open Word. My spelling was one-hundred percent acceptable (as my browser has a built in checker). My grammar was likely not quite close to perfect as I only proofread it over twice before submitting it, however it was nothing I would have out and out failed students for at my regular job. I acknowledge that my grammar isn't too sophisticated but it is hardly unreadable. The thing that honestly has me extremely offended and irritated is that some of the stories that are on there that are supposedly 'acceptable' have grammar and spelling that obviously weren't even given one once over. I don't understand it. What I do know is that I'm very offended and am honestly just thinking about saying screw this hobby again. Last time I wrote fanfiction at all was back when I was a Freshmen and Sophomore in high school. I mean I can get published in some lower end historical journals (of course I have some nice colleagues that do some peer review) and thesis's but can't meet the standards to post some fanfiction on what I assumed was a pretty informal site? Geeze...
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:50 pm

Looking at the comment section of the site, it does look like KLSymph might be getting a little delete happy and doesn't really explain anything. Of course, without any source material from the deleted threads I can't really lock down an opinion, but I do wonder what guidelines and criteria they use for their delete/save decisions.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:55 pm

frice2000 wrote:Why didn't I write it in a word processor? I wrote it on my Netbook on the fly between cooking dinner and then a little bit after.

For Pete's sake, do a copy-and-paste, and save the copy! A netbook is strong enough to handle that.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:09 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:For Pete's sake, do a copy-and-paste, and save the copy! A netbook is strong enough to handle that.

Definately...

At a minimum if not Microsoft Office then Open Office can do everything needed for document proofing. If even that is considered too bulky, then small but powerful text editors like Helios Textpad (basic install) or Notepad++ (basic install plus extra plug ins) can do formatting and spell checking.

Most Net books use a Intel ATOM or equivalent processor like a Celeron, that is generally 1.2 to 1.6 Ghz depending... while not overly powerful, they can do pretty much everything a normal office system can. Heck... I've built Media Boxes using that tech and have them connected to my entertainment centers for video and audio playback.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:29 pm

Oh Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are on this little girl I just didn't compose them in it for whatever reason. In hindsight I should have done a simple copy and paste I just didn't. Now I don't really have the opportunity oh well I admit it was silly to not compose it in Word would have been easier and a better product in the end. Why didn't I? I've read a ton of stories on that site and nowhere did I see any sort of standard or bar for stories on there to meet any sort of minimum quality level. I thought it was purely a fun place. True, I didn't browse through tons of comments or really look at the community too deeply I based what I published on the examples I've read through which had extreme variables of both quality and technical sophistication. So thinking that I published those stories to contribute what I thought was humor in a place where it would be taken well.

In what little I've written in regards to fanfiction I don't even attempt to make it the same quality I would publish professionally somewhere. Why? I simply want to relax and do something for fun not make it work. I could go over the same story for hours and make it quite clean grammatically but I'm simply not going to because I detest re-reading my works and breaking out my styles books. If this isn't fun why bother doing it?
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Pusakuronu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:46 am

frice2000 wrote:So my question is simply is this a common thing?

Yes, deletions because of grammar/punctuation are very common. The place went for a longer period of time nearly unmoderated, as far as I can tell, which is how the shoddy episodes slipped through. Right now, new episodes seem to get a lot more scrutiny.
Pusakuronu
Senshi Candidate

Postby Dumbledork » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:08 am

My episodes got deleted too... only because of one or two spelling mistakes and maybe one or two commas. So I corrected those and reposted the episodes.

I really don't see understand why your episodes were deleted. I thought they were quite alright. Just take a look at the very first episodes. They are terrible.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Thrythlind » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:17 pm

Currently, unless you add to a pre-existing thread or else are willing to have "Restart Deluge!" added to all your posts on that thread, you have to meet a set of standards that KLSymph got in talking to commercial publishing houses as regards plans and intents
Thrythlind
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:57 pm

That seems rather screwy for a place set up so people could toss out ideas and just mess around without having to worry.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Thrythlind » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:00 am

Spokavriel wrote: That seems rather screwy for a place set up so people could toss out ideas and just mess around without having to worry.

My argument entirely.
Thrythlind
Senshi Candidate

Postby frice2000 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:18 am

Someone really needs to make a replacement to that site with the only standards being legibility, spelling that an average spellcheck would deem passable, acceptable and readable formatting, and a coherent narrative. I also don't like the pure anonymity it provides as assholes prosper on far too many of the comments pages there a very loose registration system would be wise, perhaps one not even requiring an email. Honestly it's sad because it looks to have been in the past a pretty fun place, albeit with wildly fluctuating quality. Since I made this post back in March I still haven't looked at that site just not worth their 'standards even though I've had some cute ideas which would be fun to post there'. If they really want to meet these nebulous standards they should clean up their database too bad that'd remove about half of it and I'm probably being overly generous.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Next

Return to Miscellaneous