A self writting challenge

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

A self writting challenge

Postby Not-Going-to-Tell » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:26 pm

Alright I've got a challenge. Write a quick snippet with the following situation.

Sometime within the last year, from the time you read this post, the call to adventure came to you. It doesn't matter wether you accepted or tried to run away. Now you're a magical girl/sentai/martial artist/ninja/Kamen Rider/mech pilot/shinigami/whatever. Now, after a 'season', that you is sharing their story with others who took up the call.

Please include, even in passing, what you are, what, in general, your powers are about, you're origin, who your enemies were, and how the experience changed you. Remember, what you fight is probably going to do SAN damage to you. Think of how you would react if you really had to fight a youma.

Also, feel free to write in response to other people's stories, or their responses to yours, 'in character', so to speak.

I guess I'll start.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right, welcome to these forums. I made them so that we could share our stories, maybe organize teamups. Something to help us stay sane and maybe stand a better chance against the things we fight.

I'm Kamen Rider Kugel. If you think that I'm just trying to make myself look cool by taking the name of some glorified actor, leave the forum and don't bother coming back. If you read that and thought it was possible, because you've seen wierder, please read my story. I know I'll be reading yours.

I know how the media makes me out: The gunslinging defender of justice who fights superterrorists. The stong, valiant defender of freedom. I'm not strong, not noble, not valiant. The people of the world just need heroes in these dark times, and since my enemies fight out in the open a lot, so do I.

Let me tell you how I became Kugel. About a year ago I was just a young man, trying to puzzle out where I was going in life. A man who looked like Rider 1 approached a group of people, me included, and asked for those who would help him fight for justice. Because I had nothing better to do, and I thought it would be fun to go along with it, I agreed, along with a few dozen others. It turned out it was real, and a week later I was a cyborg and a rider.

I thought it would be awesome, since another, stronger rider had been 'assigned' the same enemies as me, and my poweres are mostly aimed (sorry for the pun) at supporting more than direct combat. I thought that we would team up, and I would have been happy to let him play the lead. Unfortunately he lived far to the South, so that didn't turn out.

I was still pretty sure of myself. Despite the fact that I had not melee skills at the time, and overall lack of power, I was fairly confident about survival, and actually winning. I mean, what were Luddites supposed to do to a Rider? Remember, this was still in the early days, before any of the bad-guys really started gaining momentum.

Anyways, I was finishing highschool when the first attacks came, a bunch of crazy men and women with sharp rocks and a few feral animals making strikes at research centers at the local university. They were easy enough to fend off. Knock out the people, scare off or kill the animals, easy. I was feeling good about myself.

Then they started showing how far they were willing to go in order to stop technology, to regress it. They sent people, martyrs, to fight me. They saw me, personally, as a threat to them. Those people were the first of the biomorphs. You've probably seen the pictures, the videos, of the things, all claws and teeth, loosely based off of natural creatures. They fail to capture just what they are. Those things were once humans, and a picture of one's corpse, ofr a clip of one fighting doesn't show you the true story. It's sickening to watch, as a human's bones reorient and grow, ans new limbs push through their skin, to see how they became those creatures. The first one I saw changing kept me up for moths afterwards. I was terrified of them at first, but once they started to kill innocents, something in me snapped. My back was to the wall, figuratively speaking, so all I could do was lash out at them, keep them from hurting me or anyone else.

But you know I wasn't all that effective at that.

But those first waves of biomorphs were nothing. They were just after me. Once they realized that they could achieve their original goals much more efficiently using biomorphs, that's when things started going bad. Some were still simple attempts to kill me, but now meant to spread their message across news outlets, the biomorphs conducting those attacks howling about the evils of technology, and how anyone who didn't destroy the 'steel demons' would be destroyed along with them. Others actually started to attack 'demonic centers', killing hundreds as biomorphs slaughtered innocents in attacks on power plants, water purification plants, hospitals, and centers of government. Thousands died when I wasn't able to make it in time to stop all of those attacks from being successful. Tens of thousands would have died if I hadn't been able to stop their attacks on the city's dam.

The only real powerup I recieved from the time I became Kugel until now was, more or less, a blade on the back of my machine gun and a few exploding cards, and a missile pod on my shoulder. I only got those a week before the Ludie's second in command started to confront me directly. He was my arch nemisis until the end, while the Luddy leader was going after the other rider who opposed them. Things escalated more and more, until my last contronatation with my personal enemy was at a Nuclear power plant, one that he planned on destroying to 'show humans the folly of their advancement'. Somehow I beat him, I can't even remember how, it's all a blur to me. But I did it, and the other rider beat their leader. In a moment, the entire Luddite/Biomorph group was shattered, devolving into infighting now that their metaphorical head was removed.

Now, I haven't seen any sign of them for months. I think my story, and my war, are over. Somehow a weak person like me, someone who knows next to nothing about how the world works, or how to interact with people, was able to keep the world safe from at least one goup that would see it in flames. But part of me wonders what could have been. I once loved nature, but as I grew I became less and less attuned to the world. Maybe if I had been a better child, one with stronger will, a more inquisitive mind, a better love of nature, I would have been one of the monsters I fought. I might have ended up thinking of technology as the source of the world's evils, and fought by their side. Some part of my brain tells me that would have been the best course. Another, more logical part tells me they were just psychoes trying to reason out their murders. Either way, it's some scary stuff to logically conclude you could be a twisted psycho like that.

Anyways, I've just started University, but I think I could help out anyone who's still fighting their enemies. I'm not extremely strong, I'm not a great person, but if you need suppot in your battles, a steady hand with a cybernetic aim, contact me. I'll do my best to help you out. After all, I would have appreciated someone helping me out when I was fighting.
There are times for magic, there are time for martial arts, and there are times for giant Tiger-Dragon Robots that have both.
Beware the Otaku. He commands a mech that can unleash 123632 gigatons. Thats the equivalent of shooting Chicago, and knocking down ever building from Colorado to Maine.
Not-Going-to-Tell
Senshi Cadet

Re: A self writting challenge

Postby Comartemis » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:04 pm

Can we use a different version of the past year? I've had a self-insert character for the Halloween World Mega-Crossover setting rolling around in my head for a few weeks now and it's dying to get out and break stuff.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: A self writing challenge

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:07 am

This is cute and all but why should I tell you my last year. Just how do I know you can be trusted? Secret identities are secret for a reason and I see no reason to spill my memoirs of the last year here.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Not-Going-to-Tell » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:04 pm

Comartemis wrote:Can we use a different version of the past year? I've had a self-insert character for the Halloween World Mega-Crossover setting rolling around in my head for a few weeks now and it's dying to get out and break stuff.

Feel free. After all, your life probably would have diverged fairly greatly. As long as you are writing you, it's fine.

Spokavriel wrote: This is cute and all but why should I tell you my last year. Just how do I know you can be trusted? Secret identities are secret for a reason and I see no reason to spill my memoirs of the last year here.

Heh, guess you're right. I really didn't think this through, I guess. I just thought, with all the crazy stuff that people have had to face that it may be carthic to share their experiences. But you are definitely right. We really can't share who we are, or try to team up. But you may notice that I never gave my civilian name or my home up there. Sure you could probably recognize my home from news reports, but still... Maybe my story helped someone see that they don't have it so bad.

We don't even need to try and team up. Just shaeing learning about what sorts of things stalk our world, and how to beat them could leave us better off.

We don't need you to put yourself in danger, but if you have information that could help keep our world safe, like the weakness of your monsters, please at least share that.
Not-Going-to-Tell
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:30 pm

I tell the vulnerabilities of the ones I've been seeing and the enemies can tie my secret identity to my online name. I haven't ever kept my online and civilian identity seperate or secret. So sorry. Going to have to find someone else to help with that.

But you know it might be better for this to end up in Spamville. The whole being in character bit anywhere else might be one of the darker shades of gray as far as the rule go.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Return to Miscellaneous