My new Ranma chan fics website

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

My new Ranma chan fics website

Postby jasonjkay » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:36 am

Okay I've been working on a new site for a couple of weeks on and off and I declare it finished enough for general veiwing, the link is in my sig. Anyway I was wondering what people thought about the site, what needs improving or added.

I know the list's arn't very long but that's because im creating the lists from the fics I have stored on my hardrive and they have been seperated into multiple folders. These are Ranma chan, more girly than normal and Ranma split.

While I have a lot of fics stored in these folders, I find myself reading them all again and then adding them to the lists with a short description that says what that fic is about. This is mainly for my benefit so I can find certain fics easier when I only remember a little bit which makes it harder to search for, but I wanted to share my lists with others hence the site.

Anyway the site is being updated regularly with a a few fics added each time, and if any fics cant be found on the internet then I'll host it on my site. Anyway thanks for reading this, I hope you enjoy the site and I would really appreciate comments. (Oh and im sorry if this topic is in the wrong place.)
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Kilich » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:48 am

Your site looks good to me.

I think this site http://www.bookmice.net/darkchilde/ranko/ranfict.html has some fics that are not listed on yours.
Kilich
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:10 pm

Is this supposed to contain every 'Ranko' fic available or only those you like yourself?
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:57 pm

I think the list could be more extensive if you had links to the other stories you know but don't have copies of. And have you gotten permission from the authors for the stories to be on the site?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:16 pm

Spokavriel wrote: I think the list could be more extensive if you had links to the other stories you know but don't have copies of. And have you gotten permission from the authors for the stories to be on the site?

From what I'm seeing there's no hosting of fics on the site.
http://www.rankofics.uuuq.com/Ranma%20Chan.html

It just looks like links.

There are a couple fics that I see are missing.

I'm wondering if Kevin D. Hammel's Honor and Love would count.

Or the girly "Princess Rose" in my Generation Lost.

I'm not so sure REturn would count, given that Ranma is not very "girly" (more unconsciously sensual) and her femininity is not the focus of the story.

All in all nice list. I like how you separate the "very girly" from the "slightly girly".
Last edited by Sunshine Temple on Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Dumbledork » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:48 pm

Sunny's link doesn't work.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:07 pm

Ouch, yeah.

Be careful with spaces in URLs.

It makes for a pain in encoding the sites.

Since often the "auto-link" in a forum or page software will truncate at the space.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby TerraEpon » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:40 pm

Definetly missing a good bunch -- Girl Days for starters, and well as a large hoard of fukufics, as well as Paragon if it'd count. Quite a number of 'split' fics. Oh, and Girls' School too. For starters.

And yeah, some links broken. Also, I can't imagine Divided I Stand (which is broken) and Misuteru are supposed to have the same summary.
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Ahye » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:34 am

A quick browse through the C2 communities at ff.net likely yield more fics than you could easily list in the format your site has currently. Weither they'd be good fics, is another story. Not sure if you want to list all the Ranma-chan fics, or just the good ones. Just having everything in a big list is ok up to a point, but once you get past a certain amount you'll want to break it down into some kind of sections, perhaps alphabetical or whatever. The only real downside I see to just providing links to the stories is that some will eventually become dead links, and you'll need to update the list approperately, whereas if you had hosted the fics you'd not have to worry about the links going dead, but you'd have to deal with getting permission, and vastly increased storage space. One option you might consider is providing links to the author's web page if they have one, and not just the fic itself. Not sure if that's worth doing or not, but it's something to consider. Overall it looks good.
Ahye
Senshi Cadet

Postby jasonjkay » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:19 am

Thanks everybody for replying, I really appreciate it and im glad you like the site.

Your site looks good to me.

I think this site http://www.bookmice.net/darkchilde/ranko/ranfict.html has some fics that are not listed on yours.
Thanks, as for bookmice that is one of my links but I think I need to change it to make it more clearer. As for the fics not listes, I either havent gotten around to adding them yet or I dont like the stories.

Is this supposed to contain every 'Ranko' fic available or only those you like yourself?
Mainly just those I like, or that are any good.

I think the list could be more extensive if you had links to the other stories you know but don't have copies of. And have you gotten permission from the authors for the stories to be on the site?
I have a large list of stories still to add, but since I'm writing a short summary of each story, im reading them again. This means that I end up reading all the stories I like again, and I have semi regular updatates for a while. At least a few fics will be added each week. As for permission, no as so far Im not actually hosting any of the stories, im just linking to them. The only stories I will host myself are those that are no longer online that I have on my hard drive.

There are a couple fics that I see are missing.

I'm wondering if Kevin D. Hammel's Honor and Love would count.

Or the girly "Princess Rose" in my Generation Lost.

I'm not so sure REturn would count, given that Ranma is not very "girly" (more unconsciously sensual) and her femininity is not the focus of the story.

All in all nice list. I like how you separate the "very girly" from the "slightly girly".
Honor and Love is under the more girly section. As for your two stories that you mentioned, they will definately get added at some point as they are amongst my favorite stories.

Definetly missing a good bunch -- Girl Days for starters, and well as a large hoard of fukufics, as well as Paragon if it'd count. Quite a number of 'split' fics. Oh, and Girls' School too. For starters.

And yeah, some links broken. Also, I can't imagine Divided I Stand (which is broken) and Misuteru are supposed to have the same summary.
oops, thanks a lot for pointing that out I'll change the summary in a later update and fix the link.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby jasonjkay » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:30 am

Ahye wrote:A quick browse through the C2 communities at ff.net likely yield more fics than you could easily list in the format your site has currently. Weither they'd be good fics, is another story. Not sure if you want to list all the Ranma-chan fics, or just the good ones. Just having everything in a big list is ok up to a point, but once you get past a certain amount you'll want to break it down into some kind of sections, perhaps alphabetical or whatever. The only real downside I see to just providing links to the stories is that some will eventually become dead links, and you'll need to update the list approperately, whereas if you had hosted the fics you'd not have to worry about the links going dead, but you'd have to deal with getting permission, and vastly increased storage space. One option you might consider is providing links to the author's web page if they have one, and not just the fic itself. Not sure if that's worth doing or not, but it's something to consider. Overall it looks good.
I've looked at the C2 comminities and while quite a few of them are good stories and will be added to the site at a later date, there are a lot of crap and really short stories there as well. As for breaking down the lists, I am planning on doing it alphabetical but I need to add a lot more stories before that will work effectively.

As for the links, while I see your point about dead links, I have every story that is listed and is going to be listed on my hard drive. So if I cant find any links I will upload the story to my site instead. As for why I dont do that now, I guess it's because Im using a free server and it has limited bandwidth, which I would rather save for loading the site and getting the fics that cant be found elsewhere.

Finally, I've been thinking about adding links to the authers home page, would this be worth doing? I'll just leave it as is for the moment.

Thanks everybody for the replies.

Edit: All the links should be fixed now, I ended up having to host a few files due to dead links. Sorry for the mistakes and I'll check all links more carefully from now on.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Miscellaneous