Ranma's Mech?

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Ranma's Mech?

Postby Jomasten » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:30 pm

I've always wondered: what is the perfect (canonical) mecha for Ranma? I've yet to find my own opinion on the matter, but I wanna ask ya'll. And the fact that there's so many Gundams (Among other mechs) out there, I could not track one to find one.

That, and I couldn't decide if this question fell under substantial 'Fic Research' outlines, but meh.
[SILENCE! You are distracting my concentration to distract myself.]

[Otherwise, I will distract you enough that you can concentrate on distracting yourself!]
Jomasten
Senshi Cadet

Postby Heaven's Deamon » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:23 pm

Considering that Ranma tends to prefer being active when fighting, I doubt he'd use most Gundams or other "real" robot types. Something like the FMP Master Slave System or the system used by the Gundam pilots in G Gundam seems much more Ranma's style since it would make the mecha more of an exstension of his body rather than having him use computer and joystick type controls.
Apointed Spammer rank D by Fool (AKA Black Dragon) Monday April 9th, 2007

Upgraded to Spammer Rank C by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Monday April 30th, 2007

Promoted to Spammer Rank B by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Tuesday May 15th 2007
Heaven's Deamon
Moon Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:55 pm

Daimos

The pilot must be versed in martial arts to use it, as the robot mimics the pilot, and many of its weapons are melee-type.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Not-Going-to-Tell » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:24 am

Valefar/Yadabiout Apotheosized Yadabiout

Vlose combat in spades. Feed off life energy. However, a Banpresto original, Shura General mech/Shura God, so you may have trouble fiting it into a story.

Alternately DaiRaiOh. Featuring a DML (direct motion link) system, astounding power and specialized for hand to hand, it seems to be perfect for Ranma.

Finally, suggestion that would get him really, REALLY pissed off, the Valsione. Like the above, but Girly, at the pilot's insistance. She also has reflexes good enough to give her a 50% dodge rate against anything, so there is a bit of leeway there.
Not-Going-to-Tell
Senshi Cadet

Postby Jomasten » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:44 am

Ugh, Daimos, I can understand (though, thanks, mondu, for bringing up some sweet childhood memories), but now, I have to research the SRW series. I knew I missed a series out there...

DAMN YOU, MAHQ!

EDIT:
Oh, wait... there is a SRW section in MAHQ...wierd...

[Otherwise, I will distract you enough that you can concentrate on distracting yourself!]
Jomasten
Senshi Cadet

Postby Tenebrae » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:02 am

I'd vote for either a Landmaster from the remake of Appleseed, a scout mech from Battletech, something from Heavy Gear (some of the smallest mechs in existance, at barely above 7 feet tall, and some even shorter) or the mechs from near the end of GitS: SAC.
Warning: the above post is the result of brainpan leakage. Do not take seriously or ingest.
Tenebrae
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:22 pm

I wonder do any of those other Mecha have Biological components like the Evangellions? Because I have trouble seeing Ranma using his second nature Ki augmentations to their fullest without at least some method for it to also have an equal effect on the Mech.

And just imagine what would happen the first time he tried to do a Mokou Takabisha while in the motion harness. If he is thinking of the Mech as his body why couldn't he have an accident where he blows away half the cockpit from the inside?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Jomasten » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:33 pm

Well, wouldn't using Ki attacks work with the Valefar, Yadabiout and Apotheosized Yadabiout?

Jomasten
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:15 pm

I don't know that is why I asked.

Just displaying my ignorance and asking someone to help me correct the problem.

Why wouldn't Ranma's Ki enhanced actions be a problem for the Mecha?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby FOG3 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:33 pm

You could always just slap him in a Armored Muscle Suit, which increase control and helps to channel such energies as well as amplifying muscle power. Of course Oboro considers them toys, but Oboro is basically Kenshiro just faster and able to do whatever he wants by touching you once.

There's also:
-Bioboosted Armor (Guyver)
-The Tekkaman System (Tekkaman Blade)
-The Witchblade

Things like the Guges-D that ESWAT uses shouldn't have issues as the arms are simply sheathed in armor. The more conventional landmate armored mitten approach on the other hand, not so much.

The real question is what size class and how over the top you want to go. Most canon Ranma combat does not involve Ki except as presumed by fans for augmentation. Unlike say Saint Seiya or Naruto it is not canon they're using Ki to do any such thing however, unless I've somehow missed a reference to such. Plus there are series where the giant robot doesn't have a cockpit such as Neo-Ranga. Once you've defined these parameters of what you want to do, you can then tweak things for universe balance within fanfic.

The only real rule is if there's a size differential the villians mech should be bigger, unless you're just wanting to play them as a badass. This helps to put the hero under threat which is important for conflict.

Personally if I was going to do something like that I'd set Ranma up with Getter Robo to emphasize the dysfunctional relationships.
Last edited by FOG3 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FOG3

Postby Winchester » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:10 pm

The "perfect mecha" for Ranma is pretty dependant on both your interpretation of him and his skills, and of course exactly what he's supposed to be fighting. Different tools for different jobs, and all that. It also depends on how you're going to introduce Ranma to the mecha and get him to pilot it...

To begin with, I'd advise against giving him any kind of "super mecha", that'll instantly own everything so long as the pilot is decently skilled, unless you can sell it as it being the only mecha able to keep up with his skill. (Ranma would be pretty touchy about people saying he won only because of his superior mecha, rather than superior skill). I can see him turning down the opportunity to pilot a gundam unless forced to since he's costing too much in grunt suit replacement parts. Once he does get into a Gundam, especially one of the late UC psycho-frame ones that work off your willpower, I bet he'll love it...

But above all, to get Ranma into any mecha at all will involve getting him to give up on the idea of fighting whatever it is that needs fighting in hand-to-hand, which with Ranma's canonical skill set might turn out to be a pretty tough deal. He's cocky enough to go toe to toe with full-size Zentraedi and the like, after all...

SP
Winchester
Senshi Cadet

Postby three headed dog » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:31 pm

to get Ranma into any mecha at all will involve getting him to give up on the idea of fighting whatever it is that needs fighting in hand-to-hand

Shouldn't be that difficult since Ranma has used other tactics besides hand to hand. Hand to hand isn't even usually his first option. He first tries to talk it out like with Ryoga or Ukyo. Failing that he tries to manipulate the people like how he did to Principal Kuno to get the coconut or constantly does to Ryoga. Then uses hand to hand but not always sometimes he'll try another tactic like drugs (tried to drug Kuno's food used knock out powder on Shampoo), magic (suggestion incense used twice, girl repellent), or offering to date them (like the little boy or Shampoo so as to manipulate her).

Getting Ranma to use a mecha would probably be very easy. He would most likely see a mecha as just another tool to use the same way he did the other tools he used, like the magic fire breathing sentient staff, various implements he grabs up to use in combat, or when he tried to get the magical dogi. Unlike fanon Ranma has no problem with using weapons, using power-ups (tried to get two of them), or getting help when he thinks he could use it or needs it (he has had people like Akane help him - example had Akane sew magic girl repellent onto Happosai for him). If his abilities are insufficient on there own, he would use a mecha.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:42 pm

When there are large Mecha the enemies almost always have the Gojira factor going for them. Size does matter.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Not-Going-to-Tell » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:51 pm

Spokavriel wrote: When there are large Mecha the enemies almost always have the Gojira factor going for them. Size does matter.

By large mecha do you mean just Gundam-type size, or do you mean "I can crush Gundams like ants" size? TTGL and Getter Emperor don't count.
Not-Going-to-Tell
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:27 pm

There's no point on bringing in Mecha to fight enemies smaller than any given Mech. That's all I meant.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Next

Return to Miscellaneous