FANFIC RANTING! BAD FANFICS MAKE ANGRY!

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Postby KonokoHasano » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:08 pm

:? What the heck was that?

Honestly, after a while, character bashing tends to get boring no matter how different its done. It just... eh.
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:17 pm

There's a blurred line between bashing, and chickens coming home to roost. Not everybody sees the line in the same place. And sometimes, by the end of the story, the bashing turns out to have been part of a redemption, or at least quasi-redemption.

Example: Genma. You can be perfectly accurate in his characterization, albeit a bit one-sided. There's no doubt the man has scattered trained martial-arts and marital-arts homing chickens throughout Japan and China. How much fun can you have with the guy before it turns into bashing?

Your mileage may vary.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Comartemis » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:28 pm

What the heck was that?

Pure gold, KH; the first time I read that chapter I laughed so hard I actually fell out of my chair.

Your mileage may vary.

Likewise, certain interpretations of the character lend themselves well to justified bashing.

For instance, Kakashi trains Sasuke prior to the final round of the chunin exams, while Naruto and Sakura are left to find their own teachers. Coupled with the fact that the only thing Kakashi's taught the kids up to that point is tree-climbing, Lionheart comes to the conclusion that Kakashi is ignoring Naruto and Sakura to focus on training The Uchiha Prodigy. Justified bashing ensues as Naruto unceremoniously kicks Kakashi off of his list of precious people.

Sakura's taken a fair amount of flak as well for being her usual pathetic fangirl self, but Lionheart's recently decided she's suffered enough and allowed her to start to work her way into Naruto's harem. Expect her to catch up with the others and reach jounin-level skill levels within the next ten chapters or so.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:57 pm

Many times I think I have a completely different idea of what's funny and what isn't, and that I did not find funny. When I read that excerpt, I found myself scratching my head and trying to see what was so funny.

Most of the time, I find humor in the random and unexpected, and often times just plain off the wall. An example being that I laughed my ass off at certain chapters of Girl Days, and I occasionally laugh my ass off as I read several parts of Phantasmagoria of Dichromatic Eyes/Naruto Fuujinroku (Or whatever it's called now).

Anyway, I liked reading Chunin Exam Days at first. However, it then started going down the whole 'Naruto gains a needless harem' path. As soon as it entered that area, I completely and utterly stopped reading it.

I usually don't mind character bashing if it's done in moderation, but I've found myself losing interest whenever a large amount of character bashing pertaining to Kakashi, Sakura, Akane, Cologne, and just about any other character is done. Some is okay, but when you do it continuously without letting up, it gets boring and monotonous.

I honestly think I've grown picky about what I read anymore. :(
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Heaven's Deamon » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:41 am

I know a pretty good example of the "Boring and monotonous" kind of bashing. "Shadow's Rebirth" (can't remember the author, haven't read it in awhile) A Ranma/Sonic Adventure 2 crossover that adds other series (Such as Sailor Moon, Inuyasha, and several more minor cameos) as it progresses. It bashes Genma and Soun a fair bit, but at least they are kept out of the spotlight when there isn't a reason for them to be around. Akane on the otherhand is bashed left, right, and sideways, is giving "inner monolouge" that you'd expect from a character who would show growth, but she doesn't AND she's dragged along constantly, seemingly so she can be bashed even more. The times I've read the fic, after a certain point I'd simply start skimming any scene that had her in it because I already knew she'd be bashed and I just wanted to get to one of the other parts to see what else would happen away from her.
Apointed Spammer rank D by Fool (AKA Black Dragon) Monday April 9th, 2007

Upgraded to Spammer Rank C by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Monday April 30th, 2007

Promoted to Spammer Rank B by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Tuesday May 15th 2007
Heaven's Deamon
Moon Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:33 am

Heaven's Deamon wrote:I know a pretty good example of the "Boring and monotonous" kind of bashing. "Shadow's Rebirth" (can't remember the author, haven't read it in awhile) A Ranma/Sonic Adventure 2 crossover that adds other series (Such as Sailor Moon, Inuyasha, and several more minor cameos) as it progresses. It bashes Genma and Soun a fair bit, but at least they are kept out of the spotlight when there isn't a reason for them to be around. Akane on the otherhand is bashed left, right, and sideways, is giving "inner monolouge" that you'd expect from a character who would show growth, but she doesn't AND she's dragged along constantly, seemingly so she can be bashed even more. The times I've read the fic, after a certain point I'd simply start skimming any scene that had her in it because I already knew she'd be bashed and I just wanted to get to one of the other parts to see what else would happen away from her.

I remember that fanfic. If I remember correctly, there was also a large deal of Mamoru/Tuxedo Kamen bashing as well.
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Heaven's Deamon » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:53 am

Yeah, and Koga bashing later on. But at least with Mamoru (and I'd assume with Koga if the fic had continued) the bashing ends once the ark is done and they are "dealt with". The one appearance Mamoru made after that ark actually showed some signs of character growth.

Upgraded to Spammer Rank C by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Monday April 30th, 2007

Heaven's Deamon
Moon Senshi

Postby Southern Cross » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:42 pm

Maybe it's just me,but I don't find castration scenes funny,even if they involve obvious future villains...
"We're all part monsters in our subconscious-That's why we have laws and religion!" -Captain J.J. Adams
Southern Cross
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Sky » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:33 pm

I know I'm late to the party, but

Jupiah wrote:It's even worse in Fullmetal. Ed and Roy is the most impossible relationship I've ever heard of, and yet it is also by far the most popular. Not only that, but Ed is what, 14 years old? Roy is around 30. Apparantly Roy is a pedophile.

This phenomenon has almost completely turned my fiancee off of the FMA, Super Smash Bros. and a few other sections of FanFiction.net. Non-canon yaoi is now her biggest pet peeve in fan fiction.

It's actually quite sad, and she can't figure out what's caused this. It's also killed a lot of her desire to write, since her stuff gets drowned in the mounds of non-sensical writing.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sky
Senshi Cadet

Postby Chrysicat » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:19 pm

I'm a little surprised no one else has mentioned my pet peeve...I can't be the only one to hate timeline-butchering, can I? Harry Potter and HP/Buffy crosses are the worst violators, mainly because they're series with ticking clocks and my other main fandom (Ranma, of course) ran on the 'eternal-now' plan instead, which means that it's pretty much tolerable if it's set in the last 12 years of the twentieth century...but if I see one more summary with Buffy or Willow as Harry Potter's older sister, I swear I will conduct a DDOS attack on the site hosting it! Each of those series is time-locked; the Scoobies should be age-peers of Ginny Weasley, simply by the fact that Class of '99=1981 birthdates!

...despite this, I have not yet seen a Buffy/HP crossover that has her younger, and plenty where she or Willow is the older mentor...and yeah, I know, not anime-related, but still...there's no 'bad fanfic make me angry' thread in the 'Other' boards...
Nope...not doin' it! My normal siggies'd get me banned here!
Chrysicat
Senshi Candidate

Postby Heaven's Deamon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:27 pm

I can think of something similar in Naruto/Bleach crossovers where Naruto often attends the Shinigami Academy alongside Rukia, Renji, Hinamori, and the Wabisuke's wielder, yet in most of them Hitsugaya is already a Captain when the manga shows that he didn't even become a shinigami until a few years AFTER Hinamori. Other problems include Byakuya already being a captain when it's noted by Rukia that he and Gin became captains at the same time and Gin was still Aizen's Vice Captain for the visit to the academy and the rescue from the Huge Hollows.

Heaven's Deamon
Moon Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:21 pm

I'm honestly getting tired of seeing stories about proms in the Ranma section. Japanese schools don't even HAVE proms. :?

Of course, I guess you could go with the fact that Furinkan is a little odd, but that's still stretching it when you think of how students in Japan DO go about their school life.

75% probably wouldn't even know what a prom WAS.
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:24 pm

Well maybe if Principal Coconuts is trying to enforce strict Hawiian attire or take a hair cut to enter it might barely fit. It's more likely though he would have a Luou than a Prom in place of the usual cultural festivals that happen a couple times a year.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby bissek » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:45 pm

Chrysicat, if you pay attention, you'd realize that HP timeline-butchers itself. In PS, Harry's birthday is celebrated on a Tuesday. In CoS, a specific year is given, making the previous year 1991. Later books give the specific date of Harry's 11th birthday as 7/31/91. Such a pity that this date was a Saturday. Later books also have Dudley destroying his Playstation in 1994 - an impressive feat, seeing as Playstations wouldn't exist until 1995. If the original author can't keep track of the calendar, I can forgive fanfic authors the same sin, assuming that their story doesn't suck for other reasons.

On crazy pairings, all I have to say is this: If you're going to pair together people who can barely hold a civil conversation in canon (In the Roy/Ed example, the two may make a great team professionally, they can barely tolerate each other on a personal level), please develop the characters sufficiently that the match becomes plausible before the pairing actually occurs.
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:19 pm

Oh wow, Principal Coconuts having a luau! With roast pig! And Ryoga shows up ...
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous