Something that's been bothering me for quite awhile....

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Something that's been bothering me for quite awhile....

Postby Muramasa » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:55 pm

Can somebody please tell me what exactly a pokegirl is?
Muramasa
Senshi Cadet

Postby mondu_the_fat » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:03 pm

Mix pokemon and a human female. Imagine the world of pokemon, but instead of pokemon you have girls with varying abilities and generally treated the same way pokemon are treated, with gratuitous sex as part of their training/taming.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Muramasa » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:08 pm

*ahem* Wasn't really expecting that...

Well thanks.

That solves that question. :?
Muramasa
Senshi Cadet

Re: Something that's been bothering me for quite awhile....

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:27 pm

Muramasa wrote:Can somebody please tell me what exactly a pokegirl is?

Best sources are The Pokegirl World Project

and

Pokegirl.org

While the home pages are probably work-place safe, the sites as a whole aren't, so be warned.
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:58 pm

Mix pokemon and a human female. Imagine the world of pokemon, but instead of pokemon you have girls with varying abilities and generally treated the same way pokemon are treated, with gratuitous sex as part of their training/taming.

Well it's a bit more complicated than that.

The pokemon world doesn't have a massive civil rights movement pushing for pokemon rights the way pokegirls do. Nor does it have a backstory more than three hundred years long, or the legendary pokegirls, many of whom are quite hostile to mankind and are actively plotting against it.

You've still got tamers treating their pokegirls in ways that haven't been done before--in point of fact, almost all pokegirl stories are about these "new age tamers" who treat their girls as friends and partners instead of servants--but the Pokemon world doesn't have the Illuminati-esque SEELE and Gendo Giovanni trying to maintain the status quo, or Team Rocket's much more lethal cousin, Trauma Team, who'd rather kill their targets and then steal their pokegirls.

And probably most importantly, there's very few limits to what you can make into a pokegirl. Sure, you've got new takes on the classics, but you've also got pokegirls based on anime archetypes. For instance, there's a whole bunch of pokegirls based on magical girls; the Cardcaptor line comes to mind, as does the Magic Knight evolution chain. There's the ghost-type Succubus (always fun to have in a harem ^_^), there's a group of dark types based on the Sailor Moon monsters--daimons are preferable to everything else in that chain--and all sorts of holy and unholy pokegirls.

Hell, there's even Evangelion, the Endtimes Legendary Pokegirl who'll destroy the world if she ever wakes up. Let's see Mewtwo match that.

I even made one myself for a Pokegirls/Sailor Moon fusion I wound up shelving back in January; Warvern, the Hidden Dragon Pokegirl, a fighting/dragon type I made for Makoto's form.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:28 am

In Japan, there are pokegirl doujinshi. Here's a page from one of them:

lwf58
Site Master

Postby Comartemis » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:36 am

Frankly I'm not all that surprised. It's a fairly popular concept, if one that takes a little work to wrap your mind around. Metroanime built a really interesting world for us to work with, and the pokegirls Yahoo group has spent several years fleshing it out and writing stories and churning out entries for the pokedex, which has somewhere on the order of 300-400 well-written and detailed entries now.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Return to Miscellaneous