What's Happening to Fic Hosting?

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

What's Happening to Fic Hosting?

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:29 pm

I've noticed a disturbing trend recently. One where fic archives or hosts seem to be disappearing off the web. And I'm finding this very annoying, since I now I'm unable to find a lot of the fics I used to read and have no answers as to why.

The disappearances I am refering to are anifics and ranmafics. For some reason, the person running anifics has spontainiously decided not to host fanfiction anymore, meaning I no longer have access to authors such as Chilord, Nighthawk, or Jonathon Ford (as their sites were hosted on anifics). Also, ranmafics.com (a.k.a. Ranchan & Co. Crossing Bridges) suddenly no longer exists (if anyone else can actually access it without getting the "cannot find this page" message, please tell me), so there goes a hell of a lot of good crossover fiction.

Does anyone know the reason for either of these events? Because it's bugging the hell out of me not being able to find some of my favourite fics anymore for no apparent reason.
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:49 pm

Well I know with Ranmafics, they haven't had anyone who actaully knew what he/she was doing running it for a bit, it's was over a year since they last updated. My stuff was there as well as Fanfiction.net and there were some stories I sent in to get updated but never did.
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Battlekrome » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:58 pm

whats even worse is i find certain authors on some hosting seem never to reappear once the page goes offline

Fire at least has a fanfiction.net page but some...

Heck its like trying to find fics from ELL...

Whats even worse is when the author themselves takes their old work offline never to be seen again...
Through the sands of time I walk. Beyond time and space i call to those who awaken to the darkness and realize they are the light.
Battlekrome
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: What's Happening to Fic Hosting?

Postby Sailor Sedai (Ellf) » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:49 pm

Cyber_Skaarj wrote:I've noticed a disturbing trend recently. One where fic archives or hosts seem to be disappearing off the web. And I'm finding this very annoying, since I now I'm unable to find a lot of the fics I used to read and have no answers as to why.

The disappearances I am refering to are anifics and ranmafics. For some reason, the person running anifics has spontainiously decided not to host fanfiction anymore, meaning I no longer have access to authors such as Chilord, Nighthawk, or Jonathon Ford (as their sites were hosted on anifics). Also, ranmafics.com (a.k.a. Ranchan & Co. Crossing Bridges) suddenly no longer exists (if anyone else can actually access it without getting the "cannot find this page" message, please tell me), so there goes a hell of a lot of good crossover fiction.

Does anyone know the reason for either of these events? Because it's bugging the hell out of me not being able to find some of my favourite fics anymore for no apparent reason.

Actually, what happened with anifics was that the person who owned the servers died. Sol was trying to get things back online, but it seems he managed to only get the forum back up.
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Sailor Sedai (Ellf)
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Togashi Gaijin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:41 pm

Battlekrome wrote:Heck its like trying to find fics from ELL...

Umm ... Lurker's stuff has been where it always has been - on his own site at http://www.lurkerdrome.com. That's been around for a long time.
======================
Togashi Gaijin, Twisted Wordsmith
> http://gaijinsrealm.com
======================
Togashi Gaijin
Senshi Cadet

Postby Battlekrome » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:46 am

Umm ... Lurker's stuff has been where it always has been - on his own site at http://www.lurkerdrome.com. That's been around for a long time.

Hrmm lets see....

Fuku fic

Nibun no Senshi Sailor Moon by ELL , good luck finding it on ELL's page...
Through the sands of time I walk. Beyond time and space i call to those who awaken to the darkness and realize they are the light.
Battlekrome
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:03 am

Check the Penultimate Fanfic Achive. Unfortunately, I believe Lurker has abandoned that fic and removed it from his site, as well as the others that he's decided to trash.
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Togashi Gaijin » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:07 am

Battlekrome wrote:Hrmm lets see....
Fuku fic
Nibun no Senshi Sailor Moon by ELL , good luck finding it on ELL's page...

Well geez, if you wanted a specific story you should have said so in the first place. Took me all of 30 seconds to find Nibun no Senshi Sailor Moon, and ... while I agree that this particular one isn't on the Lurkerdrome page ... it certainly isn't hidden very hard either. Just pull up Rakhal's list, go to the 'N's, look for listing (found), click link (works), unzip the GZIP archive to local hard disc, and start reading.
======================
======================
Togashi Gaijin
Senshi Cadet

Postby Togashi Gaijin » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:20 am

Cyber_Skaarj wrote:Also, ranmafics.com (a.k.a. Ranchan & Co. Crossing Bridges) suddenly no longer exists (if anyone else can actually access it without getting the "cannot find this page" message, please tell me), ...

The WaybackMachine has a complete archive of the June06 update.

Web archives are your friend.
======================
======================
Togashi Gaijin
Senshi Cadet

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:45 am

Togashi Gaijin wrote:The WaybackMachine has a complete archive of the June06 update.

Web archives are your friend.

Thanks, this was a big help (wish I'd known about that archive sooner :?)

Now I can find most of the crossover fics again :D
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:55 am

Yes, Anifics was on a private server, and the owner passed away.

However, Sol just posted this update:

I should have the hosted restored via a back up tuesday the 17th. It will be at www.anifics.com/hosted/sitename the subdomains will be longer in coming if ever... For now it's jsut a static backup while I test out some software to allow people to do stuff via the browser instead of ftp

Restored sites:
http://www.anifics.com/hosted/yasuhei/
http://www.anifics.com/hosted/ladycosmos/
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Ninsaneja » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:52 pm

@lwf58: Ack, but the links and stuff are all messed up on ladycosmos, you have to type it in manually... IT all points to the subdomain type rather than the new format...
"For a good time, call Molimo"
- Inscribed on a bathroom stall door in Yavimaya.
Ninsaneja
Senshi Cadet

Postby lwf58 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:56 pm

He did say that he planned to have it done on the 17th. So it's a little early for me to talk to him yet. We'll see if there are still problems after tomorrow.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby yasuhei » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:28 am

My understanding is that subdomains may also eventually return.

However, in the mean time, tough biccies everyone. Sol is dealing with this on his own, amidst his work and his personal life. He also actually knew the server owner on some level or another. Those of us with anifics sites have been getting free hosting for years now. We don't deserve our sites, we are lucky to have them.

I'm overjoyed that sol's done all this work, and I figure we should all be sitting and waiting patiently. We aren't owed, we are being given something wonderful, and we should all shut up and be patient.
yasuhei
Senshi Candidate

Postby lwf58 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:50 pm

Sol is making progress. He only works on it on Tuesdays, though. That's his day off.

As it stands, he'll have the backups running soon enough, and may get anifics hosting back online in the near future. I'm certain that it'll be before the code is written that I need to start doing some serious hosting in the Lost Library.

If you are an anifics hosted author and have a better version of your site stored on your own computer, it's quite likely that he will upload it for you when he has a chance. You just need to get hold of him and ask. The anime forum at anifics is where you can keep tabs on what he's doing. Look in the Forum News and Help folder for the topic Hosted Sites.
lwf58
Site Master

Next

Return to Miscellaneous