boiling water

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

boiling water

Postby toushin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:43 am

how hot does the body have to be for war to instantly boil upon contact with the skin
toushin
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: boiling water

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:27 am

Because of the percentage of water in the human body you will spontaneously detonate from steam pressure before you can reach that temperature.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:41 pm

But if we're talking about Ranma 1/2, we know that -- at the very least -- the body can become hot enough to turn rain drops into steam upon contact without real-life physics getting in the way. But that's a tiny amount of water; if Ranma had stuck his hand in a pot of water, how long it took for the water to boil would have been a better indicator of how hot Ranma's body had been.

Aside from that, I'd say it depends more on the amount of water involved than it does the heat of the body, since the time it takes for water to boil will ultimately be decided upon how much water comes into contact with the body, since the less water there is to heat the quicker it will come to a boil.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:21 pm

I'm not completely sure of which is hot - the body, or the water. But I am sure you will find this article instructive.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby toushin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:53 pm

In chapter 319 Happosai returns from his underwear thievery with a very high fever. He wakes Ranma up with a splash of cold water, knocks her out, and then snuggles with her the whole night. The next morning, Ranma wakes up with a high fever too, having gotten the cold from Happosai. When Ranma tries to give his cold back to Happosai, he tells Ranma to turn into a girl so they can cuddle again. He pitches Ranma into the koi pond, but instead of changing into a girl like he usually does, his fever heats the water and keeps him from transforming. Ranma is sick, but overjoyed.
toushin
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Water only has to be warm to not trigger the curse. "Hot water not boiling!" - Ranma dodging the tea kettle in the first meeting.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:19 pm

I think the issue is: if Ranma is hot enough to make the koi pond reach a furo-like temperature in a second or three, wouldn't heating the water that fast make it burst violently and/or flash-evaporate? Or something? I don't expect real physics to be relevant here, since it doesn't make any sense to me if the water is getting that hot that fast without continuing to get hotter than that to account for the speed in which it reached that furo-like temperature, but I'm also curious how hot someone/something would have to be in order for that much water to be heated to that temperature that fast.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:38 pm

If a liquid is poured onto something much hotter than its boiling point, the liquid in contact with the object will flash into vapor and push the main body of the liquid out of contact. You have probably seen this at home: heat up a frying pan, then pour a bit of water in. The water will break up into droplets which skitter about the pan for a surprisingly long time. The vapor keeps the heat from transferring rapidly to the liquid.

The same effect, though in a form much more like the question here, can also be seen in a blacksmith's shop. If you watch when the smith thrusts a piece of red-hot iron into cooling water, you will not see the iron -- you will see the steam surrounding the iron.

So it's not a good idea to heat Ranma to a temperature above 100 degrees Celsius, then throw hir in the koi pond.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Yeah... Um if you even hit 60C (140F) you're likely to see a person die from organ failures.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:40 pm

Spokavriel wrote: Yeah... Um if you even hit 60C (140F) you're likely to see a person die from organ failures.

You've heard of cartoon physics? We're talking cartoon physiology here.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Or maybe we could throw out the thermal dynamics and just say that they decided being hot was enough to make it so cold water couldn't stay cold getting close enough to make contact.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Return to Fic Research