Stopping time

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Re: Stopping time

Postby WG_Writer » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:22 pm

/warning This comes off as a bit rantish so skip if you get offended, I just have the habbit of trying to fully explain my points/

If we are going to start slaying catgirls (Bringing real physics into this) then do keep in mind that Time is affected by gravity and velocity. While not specifically addressed many tests do indicate that both of these do affect time. This is scientific fact. Also as a science fact is that velocity is relative, thus the tests were affected by the earth itself, thus its gravity. by this thought the only way to remove time from an object is to either give it enough velocity (Basically have it moving faster then light, which is technically impossible by our current science, current studies of faster then light sub-atomic particles not withstanding) or remove all motion in the universe except on the desired targets, which is frankly less likely, and it would need to be universal as anything applying gravity would apply motion and gravity is not well known enough to say for sure that it has a limited range or what that range is. As current understanding of the effects of said force, we know roughly what it can do, and somewhat of what it can affect but most understanding is limited to things go down. everything else we know of it is more or less affected by observation or something else.

It is because of that that I define Time Stop as removing the effect of primary time from targets rather then stopping the entire universe. Frankly if Pluto could stop time in an entire Universe she would more or less be able to use her powers in other more dangerous ways. Like stopping a Youma in time so it litterally flys off the planet.

This is why I can see the unhinged ability being more accurate as it doesn't give Pluto insane powers and make her more dangerous then Saturn. Destroy that planet, sure I will stop the star its orbiting so it flys off into space and freezes.

/rant/

That said, this like all other things in Sailor Moon often use the attached phrase, "Because plot said so."

So nobody would complain if say *Ranma* (Replace with Random Non-Senshi) cannot survive in a Time Stop because they do not have Senshi powers. And nobody would really care if they could survive. It really is as plot dictated. Not to mention the fact that it was never touched in detail by anyone other then to say that it kills her to use it, and even then it has an amazing Deus Ex to get around, she reincarnates and time travels so its like nothing has happened.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:47 am

Yeah, I'm mostly interested in the physics, with the hope of understanding at least a bit of it. It's not so important regarding the Sailor Moon universe itself but, say, if I wanted to mesh it better with another series' universe that's more faithful to the realistic side of things.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:44 am

Ahh in that case I stand by my logic that Pluto disconnects targets from time rather then stopping all atomic motion in the Universe. even theoretical power wise it is much cheaper.

the amount of power needed to accelerate to the speed of light is not as bad as is often implied, the problem that is usually described usually involves that the faster you want to go the more fuel you need and you need more fuel for that fuel and more fuel for that fuel and so on and so forth. But with "Time Stop" its outside accelleration so there is no fuel curve thus the amount of power is by far cheaper, so much so that the savings probably is met at the first city block (I did not do the math properly, just an educated guess based on the fact all things are in motion and the power needed to stop it versus the cost of acceleration of the targets.)
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:20 am

Wouldn't a Time Stop done by Pluto necessitate a solar system wide effect? While everything else is far enough away to not notice say a missing day or so, as long as relative galactic movement wasn't halted. But here in system all the worlds were populated so anyone attempting to move into a halted space could have ended up a bug on a wind shield. Also others in the system would have been capable of witnessing a more localized stoppage. In which case Pluto would have had to have been more feared than Saturn. Effectively altering a planets time has some heavy consequences. Including tidal ones that could in theory create quakes in our solar system's magnetic fields. The sort of thing that disrupts planetary orbits.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:05 am

Now that I think about it... What if she doesn't manipulate time using third-dimensional rules? What if it's four-dimensional (whatever that might entail), whether its effects take precedence on the third-dimension or imposes upon it?

(I suddenly wondered since the Door of Time is in the fourth dimension, and it seems like time travel requires passing through it, using the Door of Time or not. So might the fourth dimension be required for stopping time?)
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Return to Fic Research