A series-related occupation for Nodoka

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Re: A series-related occupation for Nodoka

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Well, something realistic/normal like that is fine, but I'd still prefer if it were connected to another series. To give an idea of what kind of options you have, these are the series that will be featured in the story so far: Angelic Layer, Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth, Cardcaptor Sakura, Shugo Chara, Aa! Megami-sama!, To Love-Ru, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, Tenchi Muyo, Tokyo Mew Mew, and Touhou. (I'm considering a few others, too.) So long as a modern Japan setting is present, it should be fine. Actually, it doesn't necessarily have to be a job/career/livelihood, so long as Nodoka has a source of income. Like, coming from a rich family that gives her a stipend, but which rich family would be the question.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:29 pm

I've always liked her being adopted by Katsuhito Masaki. That way there's not Royal blood in her but she's still supported by the family.

Edit: It also gives her a situation where Onihime Seto could have participated in her upbringing helping explain her ideas of Manlyness.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:50 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:Well, something realistic/normal like that is fine, but I'd still prefer if it were connected to another series. To give an idea of what kind of options you have, these are the series that will be featured in the story so far: Angelic Layer, Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth, Cardcaptor Sakura, Shugo Chara, Aa! Megami-sama!, To Love-Ru, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, Tenchi Muyo, Tokyo Mew Mew, and Touhou. (I'm considering a few others, too.) So long as a modern Japan setting is present, it should be fine. Actually, it doesn't necessarily have to be a job/career/livelihood, so long as Nodoka has a source of income. Like, coming from a rich family that gives her a stipend, but which rich family would be the question.

What a mix... main issue is how would you develop any single occupation for Nodoka that would touch on all those series...

Hmmm... My own suggestion... researcher related to the wacky doc in Angelic Layer.

Reasoning... for research for the doc both on the layer and into the mothers condition. That type of work could get her into shrines and dojos over a fairly large area... and could cover her touching on the dojos and shrines involved in almost all of those series and most of the characters, including her initial journey to the Tendo Dojo... yet it would be a mudane non-magical job, and explain her lack of sword abilities in Ranma 1/2 itself.

She would replace no-one, potentially know most everyone, and still be a non-scheduled job and seemingly random to anyone attempting to track/follow her (and allow for opportunities for those following her to be caught up by or in the antics of the other series).
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:36 pm

It doesn't have to be anything complicated like that, partly because neither Nodoka or Ranma have any past connections (that are planned) with the characters from those series. The story picks them up as the plot progresses (over the years), with most of them being highlighted at certain points. Nodoka having an income based on another series is just an excuse to have another series and its circumstances added to the story. It sounds messy, but most of the plot regarding each respective series is lightly tied together, in that the story is a series of long-ish one-shots that only places its focus on one or two of them at a time. The first is Angelic Layer, but from what I remember the angels and all of the things that come with them aren't exactly cheap, and thus something most readers would likely expect Nodoka to afford.

Spokavriel wrote: I've always liked her being adopted by Katsuhito Masaki. That way there's not Royal blood in her but she's still supported by the family.

Edit: It also gives her a situation where Onihime Seto could have participated in her upbringing helping explain her ideas of Manlyness.

There's money in that? :P
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:42 pm

Rulers of a multi-system galactic empire do tend to have money. And its clear Yosho got back in touch with his family at some point after his little sisters started searching for him. And even if you don't want to consider that wealth source consider how much land he owns and how long he has been around. Its doubtful the land around the Masaki shrine could have remained in his ownership and control without him having connections in government or at least the Royal family of Japan.

There's Money both ways.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:15 am

Easiest way to connect that divergent a set of series would in my mind being a tutor or teacher of some kind. Lets her meet lots of folks pretty easily and would make sense as a occupational choice to fill in the hole in her life she may feel at her own sons absence.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:23 am

How about a high class prostitute? That could also explain her strange quirks about Ranma being manly.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:28 am

Dumbledork wrote:How about a high class prostitute? That could also explain her strange quirks about Ranma being manly.

How exactly would that get her involved with most of the series in question...

I doubt for example it would work in Rayearth, and a good part of Angelic Layer is plain too young... A prostitute showing herself at the Masaki household would have a very short lifespan indeed. And I don't want to think why she would be at the shrine in sailor moon...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:02 am

No, no, no... Maybe I didn't elaborate well enough. Whatever job she takes can not interfere with her presence and actions in Ranma 1/2. Like, she's had it all along, but it hadn't been shown. For instance, I know it's common enough for Japanese women to work from home, or do various part-time jobs in the area, but would there be any such things that could be tied to another series? I'm not totally against using any of the series I'm already going to use if that's what I have to do, but I'd rather not go with that one Tenchi Muyo route because I actually want Ranma to be fairly average compared to all of the other characters he's going to be interacting with. Nodoka doesn't need to do anything to connect her to any of the characters from those series.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:09 am

That's why I said prostitute. It's a job she can do at home.

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:39 am

Ah so doesn't have to connect with other series just a home job...Hmm...something that might be interesting is an Inventor. I don't mean in a necessarily insane anime sense just various gadgets, food prep tools, cutting edge knives (relates to katanna p) clothing accessories, etc. That gives her lots of disposable income if she's mildly successful, makes her pretty interesting depending on how far you want to take her creativity and what she is making, and can be used to connect mildly with a couple of the series you mentioned.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:56 am

It's something. There are series where parents doing stuff (like archeology) overseas send stuff to their children, or at least back home. All kinds of things. And either way still might be well-off financially.

Dumbledork wrote:That's why I said prostitute. It's a job she can do at home.

No prostitution! XD
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:52 am

Dumbledork wrote:That's why I said prostitute. It's a job she can do at home.

It's been done. Both in fanfiction and fanart.

Personally, I'd go with overseeing dataloggers, say, traffic monitors and weather stations. There's gotta be quite a few in Tokyo, and it's likely that few of them are online, assuming the 1970s and 1980s. So, they'd need a supervisor to collect data from them and monitor their health.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:16 am

How about yakuza boss?

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:00 am

I'm not sure if there is a specific term for it. But given how Traditional Nodoka is how about a Bridal Training instructor? She could offer classes in her home training girls who's mothers are too busy to instruct them in the traditional roles. Including Flower Arranging, House keeping, Tea ceremony, Decorum, family planning, household management, etc.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Next

Return to Fic Research