m72 rocket launcher

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

m72 rocket launcher

Postby mondu_the_fat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:12 am

I was doing a bit or research on the m72 rocket launcher, but couldn't find answers to the specific questions in mind:

Is the launcher or the ammo made up any plastics? Or is it purely metal and gunpowder? How about electronics?
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Re: m72 rocket launcher

Postby jasonjkay » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:14 am

Just a quick google search for m72 LAW materials turned up a page here that describes the rocket launcher.

The tubular rocket launcher is a telescoping, smooth-bore, openbreech weapon. The outer (front) tube is made of plastic-impregnated fiberglass; the inner (rear) tube is made of aluminum. When the launcher is closed, as it is during unit maintenance, the inner (rear) tube and rocket are not visible.
jasonjkay
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:46 am

On the page I think one part makes it clear there are no electronics.
Firing Mechanism Percussion
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:46 am

The early LAW warhead, developed from the M31 HEAT rifle grenade warhead, uses a simple, but extremely safe and reliable piezoelectric fuze system, which on impact with the target a certain type of crystal in the front nose section is crushed causing a micro-second electric current to be generated which detonates the warhead.

Can't find any mention of plastics. As far as electronics, don't know if there's anything on the launcher, but there's most definitely electronics in the warhead.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby mondu_the_fat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks guys, that helped immensely.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Cheb » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:30 pm

but there's most definitely electronics in the warhead.

I don't think that one piezoelectric crystal rates as "electronic". It's more along the lines of "when hit with a sledgehammer generates a jolt of elecricity". As the body of the greanade serves as one of the wires, and the other wire is completely surrounded by it, the whole circuit (already incredibly robust) is perfectly shielded against any EMP.

I have a piezoelectric lighter for my gas stove, I've disassembled and repaired it several times. Calling it "electronics"... Too much a honor. The crystal is big, rough, it generates several thousand volts when squeezed, and can probably withstand a dozen thousand volts applied to it without even noticing.

I imagine the crystals used in the grenades are even more brutal.

P.S. They did teach us RPG-7 in the university, so thoroughly that I haven't yet forgot it. And considering that the war machines are roughly the same everywhere...
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Return to Fic Research