Ranma's relationship with the phone

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Re: Ranma's relationship with the phone

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:00 pm

At least with Senshi communicators they use a method that doesn't transmit in usual terrestrial energies. So it makes sense for one of those to work in stuff space to me. But a regular cell phone... How would someone even know if it did get a signal? Can you hear things or people in stuff space? If it vibrates can the person feel it? At least with Senshi Gear you can pass it off as magic if that were done.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:23 pm

If you bump the series up to present day Ranma would most likely use a cell phone but is unlikely to own one. Since pretty much every Japanese teenager has one and that isn't an exaggeration since more than 95% of them have at least one Ranma would borrow (or steal if annoying person like Kuno).

While he doesn't have much need for a cell phone since he is not very communicative (he's pretty secretive and doesn't really have a need to contact people much and would rather some people not be able to contact him) and he often travels to places that wouldn't have a signal (he goes into the wild, abandoned islands, remote villages, and on mountains several times). The main obstacle to him owning one is that they aren't durable enough. It would have to be tough enough to withstand Ryoga's punches, energy blasts (things like ki blasts, air pressure blades, and vacuum blades) extreme temperatures (he has been attacked with flame attacks multiple times and been in freezing temperatures), shock proof (people have used electrical shock weapons/attacks - himself to Mousse, Kodachi multiple times, Rogue the Ashura used lightning), water proof (gets splashed multiple times a day and submersed fairly often), and various other attacks extremes that he himself withstands. Ranma's lifestyle, as it is, simply is not compatible with an item that you carry around with you constantly.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:00 am

I'd imagine he would need something along the lines of a military grade phone...

Ideally something that can withstand an EM burst as well, as I can picture some of those energy attacks qualifying...

I actually can recall one fan fiction story where he in fact had just such a device... given to him by Rei Ayanami in a pretty radical AU that had Evangelion taking place in parallel to Ranma series and he was her boyfriend pre Ranma series. Nabiki was marvelling over it.

That was in 'Death Becomes Her' by E-Type. Pretty radical, ends up with him stuck in a Rei clone body, and living with Rei and Nabiki in an apartment.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Fic Research