Alcohol tolerance

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Alcohol tolerance

Postby Cheb » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:47 am

I thought we as fanfiction writers should be aware of this fact (as it's a fact of everyday life in Japan):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_flush_reaction
Alcohol flush reaction (colloquially referred to as Asian Flush, Asian Turn Red Syndrome, Asian Red, Asian Glow or "The Sniffles") is a condition in which the face and/or body experiences flushes or blotches, due to an accumulation of acetaldehyde. The acetaldehyde accumulation can be caused by a missense polymorphism that encodes the enzyme, acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2),[1] normally responsible for breaking down acetaldehyde, a product of the metabolism of alcohol [...]

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 714rh.html
Forty to 45 percent of Japanese people have an inactive form of ALDH called ALDH2, which means they suffer those unpleasant consequences if they drink alcohol.

That could explain this:
Image Image Image Image

What do you people think?
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Re: Alcohol tolerance

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:43 am

I know EVERYONE I've ever drank with turns red at some point, even the habitual drinkers.

I've never even considered this wasn't the norm. There's even a local expression for it -- having had something to drink is "kulay chico" (which is a red-brown fruit). That Ranma blushes and gets easily drunk didn't surprise me, as I know people showing the drunken symptoms on a glass of wine or beer, never mind a chug of sake. This doesn't happen to caucasians?
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:21 pm

It turns out cats are very susceptible to alcohol. They can't handle the biochemistry well, and it damages their kidneys. There goes the chance of having Luna and Artemis drunk out of their gourds, wailing from a fence.

On the other hand, Rhett Butler could probably get away with it.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby LawOhki » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:40 pm

Or it was simply used to show that Ranma is drunk which is a very common way to do it. It's similarly used during the hot springs obstacle course where both Ranma and Shampoo are red faced along with several other minor instances.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:39 pm

, as I know people showing the drunken symptoms on a glass of wine or beer,

:shock:
That's... That's ridiculous! How can it be?

For a Russian to go down like Ranma on these pages... It should have been a pure alcohol, not even vodka would be enough. But here, sake (AFAIK) is somewhere around 15%. It was a child's dose but she went and lost her consciousness. :(

This doesn't happen to caucasians?

I searched a little. If what I found is true, the Caucasians are more than twice as resistant to alcohol as the Asians are. They say that they gave the Chinese test subjects a dose that made 75% of them flush and show other symptoms. A dose double of that affected only 5% of the Americans.
I know people could get a bit red, but that's usually at the stage where they couldn't walk straight, which requires a lot of vodka. And most would go down long before they change color.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:06 pm

I'm not so sure on the Cats front. After all the main way to make fruit juices shelf stable for sale before refrigeration was to make them into low alcohol wines and ciders. All they would need is to encounter a traditionalist who preserves their own juices and they could encounter alcohol that is so weak most people would need 3 gallons to get the same amount as in 1 can of beer but more than enough to leave them sheets to the wind.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:47 pm

I'm going to use good sake, but water it heavily for the cats. The rest of the wedding guests can have the good stuff.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Drawde » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:59 am

The blush is due to the alcohol opening the blood vessels. Since there's more blood flowing to the extremeties you blush, which is most noticable in the face.

This is why you don't give alcohol to someone who's freezing. The extra blood flow does warm up the extremeties such as your hands, feet, and ears. But at the cost of taking that heat away from your vital organs.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:19 pm

I definitely feel a few degrees off plumb after a glass, especially when I haven't had one for a while. Not gunna pull Drunken Fist moves, but it affects me.
A government is the only known vessel that leaks from the top. (James Reston)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:28 pm

Given Kuno's height and the thickness of the bottle. That was about 3 quarts to a gallon of Sake. And checking out a chart on alcohol content for commercially marketed Sake that sells that size bottles it could be anywhere from the strength of beer to 5 times stronger. If it were at the high end then she might as well have just been forced to swallow 3 cups of everclear. For someone that doesn't drink often that can be instantly lethal. I'd share the chart but its not allowing direct linking. You can find it through Google easily enough.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:42 pm

Whereas Ranma, of course, will likely feel like Akane was repeatedly whacking him with the livingroom table the morning after. There's something to be said, after all, for anime physics and physique.
A government is the only known vessel that leaks from the top. (James Reston)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Fic Research