Housing Nerima in Hogwarts?

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Housing Nerima in Hogwarts?

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:31 am

These are just the few I could come up with. Any suggestions as to why someone should be in a different house or other characters I didn't cover that you can think of a good house for please add it.

Soun Tendo = Hufflepuff Loyalty to Genma
Kasumi Tendo = Ravenclaw Always studying borrowed books
Nabiki Tendo = Slytherin Based more on fannon second placement for her IMO is Griffindore
Akane Tendo = Griffindore She's brave to the extent of fool hardiness but not really ambitious studious nor really l;oyal without a selfish aspect to help it along.
Genma Saotome = Hufflepuff Loyalty to Soun, I know Iffy at best Second suggestion for him is Slytherin.
Nodoka Saotome = Slytherin Anything to get her Manly son and grand babies.
Ranma Saotome = Hufflepuff tied with Griffindore
Konatsu = Hufflepuff
Ukyo = Slytherin
Shampoo = Slytherin
Mousse = Hufflepuff Loyal no matter how misguided.
Cologne = Slytherin or Ravenclaw Its hard to be sure how she would have been when younger but she has amassed so much through ambition and her own studies of lore.
Kodatchi Kuno = Ravenclaw with Slytherin as a second. She cheats and she's ambitious but she's also studious to concoct so many of the things she uses.
Tatewaki Kuno = Griffindore in the mode of a certain false Hero professor that I don't even like the name of. Only place I liked reading about the character so far was in a self INSERT IGNORE where the Author replaced him.
Principal Kuno = Hufflepuff

That's about as far as I've gotten. Weak reasoning and all. What do you think? Where would the characters be sorted and don't forget I missed other members of the cast if you want to make suggestions for them as well.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Re: Housing Nerima in Hogwarts?

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:30 am

I don't think they'd let Principal Kuno anywhere near Hogwarts. He's probably running a daycare center in Knockturn Alley.

Then again, he could be DADA teacher.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:58 am

Grow a palm tree in your hair to keep dark lords away? Defend yourself with Crustaceans trained to give haircuts and exploding tropical fruit? Pineapple and Coconuts etc.?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:49 pm

You know if Ranma got to thinking of every magic spell as another new Technique to learn he could also fit in Ravenclaw.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:14 am

Spokavriel wrote:Kodatchi Kuno = Ravenclaw with Slytherin as a second. She cheats and she's ambitious but she's also studious to concoct so many of the things she uses.

I'd reverse that order. While its true she's not stupid and comes out with a lot of things that take applied intelligence most of the time that intelligence is used in furtherance of her underhanded means.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:40 am

I don't really like the house system or the sorting hat in Harry Potter for a number of reasons. Also the house points are meaningless (no real reward for them) and very inconsistent in the books (basically the people capable of taking points would take/give any amount with none set. First book had them normally taking small number of points like 1-5 but later books would seemingly take a random amount like 20 for an offense that was no different and the teachers seemingly took whatever amount they wanted like McGonagall taking 50 points each from Harry and Hermione in the first book but did not take similar amounts from other characters for the same offense).

The number of people in each house has to be near even so that the houses can compete against each other so if their were say 20 people to be sorted the hat is likely to put 5 in each house regardless of their traits.

It is also really easy to justify putting a person into whatever house you want to. Take Hermione for example. Slytherin fits her extremely well when you consider that she is very resourceful (shown to be one of the most resourceful) and extremely ambitious (She wants the best grades, she wants to change society and its social mores - free house elves, give rights to other species, have muggleborn treated equally, etc. she wants to prove herself) -not to mention that she is willing to go to some extreme lengths to reach her goals (kidnap -Rita Seeker, Blackmail -Rita, Cheat -get Ron on team, lie - several times such as first book after troll incident or to trick Umbridge into the forest, Steal - potion ingredients to make polyjuice potion, break the rules - repeatedly such as sneaking into the restricted section to read Most Potent Potions, erase/rewrite her parents memory, etc.) -those are traits Slytherin values. Hufflepuff fits her well to considering that she is very hard working (she has worked herself into exhaustion) and loyal (she maintained her loyalty to Harry even when no one else did). Ravenclaw fits her as well, she values intelligence and acquiring knowledge (reading massive books as light reading).

Really for the Ranma cast most of them can easily be put into any house you want to put them with very little justification needed. Ranma would fit in any of the houses since he has traits that fit all of them but doesn't fit any of them perfectly. Though I'd go with Slytherin or Ravenclaw as my choice for Ranma but can easily see Ranma putting the hat on and the hat saying something like forbidden forest rather than a house since Ranma's presence is likely to result in chaos (Ranma is very unlikely to get along very well with Slytherin, those Ravenclaws who were picking on Luna, or Fred and George - whose pranks could be viewed as picking on people and Ranma would prank them back - and would most likely retaliate/interfere/be in conflict with most of the school including the teachers/generally cause chaos without meaning to in someway).

Mousse I do not see as loyal. He's obsessed with Shampoo which could look like he's loyal but obsession is not the same thing as loyalty in my opinion.

Ukyo I'd probably put in Hufflepuff because she is very hard working running her own business and doing volunteer work at a shrine.

Principal Kuno, Nodoka Saotome (the grand babies thing is fanon), Happosai, and some of the others are hard to place into the houses based on values because they don't really fit for any of the house values well. Some characters like Ranma, Hermione, Cologne, etc. have traits that could put them into any of the houses based on the listed values but other characters we either don't know enough about them or they don't really have the traits that the hat is looking for to any significant degree.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:04 am

The only time I remember Uk-chan working at a shrine was when she was trying to regain the power in her Okonomiyaki. That was work to a selfish end not volunteering in the traditional giving sense.

Granger was changed by her experiences. While I am shocked she wasn't in Ravenclaw the Hat can only go on how the character is at time of sorting. Its not Precognitive.

And I also doubt the Forbidden Forest is a possible answer.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:17 am

The only time I remember Uk-chan working at a shrine was when she was trying to regain the power in her Okonomiyaki. That was work to a selfish end not volunteering in the traditional giving sense.

That's from the anime which I do not like as much as the manga. In the manga during the story arc with the Ema and the horse kami it is shown that she was volunteering there before Ranma and Akane even showed up.

Granger was changed by her experiences. While I am shocked she wasn't in Ravenclaw the Hat can only go on how the character is at time of sorting

True but she had the traits that would fit her into the other houses even in the first book. The reason she got sorted into Gryfindor over another house is likely because she she read about how great Dumbledore was and he had been in Gryfindor and so she wanted to be in it as well, that and the hat had to put her somewhere having traits that would fit her in any house that is the house chosen.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:05 pm

the sorting hat does work based on ones desires, the Hat does want to put Harry in slythern but doesn't, Hermone also could have gone else where. a person's traits are just the excuse imo
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:29 pm

I say both are factors. Not everyone shows up with their minds made up on houses they want. And then again some would cause problems if they don't get a specific or avoid a specific house.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:18 pm

I have to agree, that in general you can make justifications for anything.

Granted, I'd be inclined to put Ranma into Ravenclaw were I to write a Hogwarts cross. As long as you can bridge the magical/martial gap sufficiently well, I see it as being he easiest to write because it wouldn't directly interrupt the Griffindor dynamics. Well, that and the fact that I really like Luna and think that she's very underused.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:12 pm

Well, Ranma did become a 'Claw in "Hikari no Daija". Gotta reread that soon, if only to savour the Lumos sneezing mishap.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Fic Research