I'm looking for gun-toters in a modern-day Japan setting

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

I'm looking for gun-toters in a modern-day Japan setting

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed May 25, 2011 11:43 pm

There's something that I want to do in my "Not Half Bad" story, but my knowledge of series that have gun-using characters in a modern-day Tokyo setting is rather sparse. This is to avoid getting the police and the military involved. For one, neither appear in Ranma 1/2, even though an event such as Taro and Rouge fighting each other over the city would have had them appear in a more normal setting (even though they made it on the news when they fought in a remote region in China). For another, my dislike for the military in general makes me very ignorant of the ins and outs of it.

At the moment, Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku is the only option that I've been able to think of by myself. Of the few other series that I know of, You're Under Arrest involves police in another ward and Gunsmith Cats is based in America. Two other series that have come to mind, that I have only seen a few episodes of (and thus I don't know their feasibility), are Noir and Full Metal Panic.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: I'm looking for gun-toters in a modern-day Japan setting

Postby Spokavriel » Wed May 25, 2011 11:50 pm

It doesn't happen often but I think you can add Lupin the third as well. The obsessed cop is not the only one armed after all.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu May 26, 2011 12:25 am

I'm not too familiar with Lupin. What reason would there be for attacking a supposedly bad dragon girl? Would doing a heroic good deed be among any possible reasons? Or would the impression/idea/falsified information about a dragon horde of treasure be enough?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu May 26, 2011 12:32 am

If she's cute it could be enough depending on how it is presented. But I don't know the characters well enough to write an example that I could feel would be IC
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Thu May 26, 2011 12:32 am

Noir is about assassins they travel the world. It starts out in Japan though but the organization and later action happens in I believe France.

Though I haven't seen it, only bits, Angel Heart has girls with guns and is set in Shinjuku which practically touches Nerima.

Detective Conan has people with guns - FBI, black organization, police, some of the murders, etc. but I doubt that you'd use that series.

Most of the series I can think of like say Gunslinger Girl are set in different countries (Italy for that series) mainly because of Japans gun laws.

Oh and the military, police, and yakuza even do show up in Ranma 1/2 but only in the background in like very small panels and never do anything. Military for an example in the form of fighter jets during Ranma's nightmare about Kuno in the first volume, Ryoga stops at a police box and asks directions once (in the anime in the manga we see a police box in the background that they walk past and a character dresses up as a police woman during the orachi arc), the yakuza can be seen being drained and begging Miss Hinako once also see a couple of them at the bath house (you can tell by the tattoos). Guns show up as well just extremely easy to miss for example in a flashback we see a villager shooting at Genma, Soun, and Happosai as they flee a village with stolen goods.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Thu May 26, 2011 4:25 am

There's City Hunter (Angel Heart is sort of an alternate universe sequel of City Hunter). While Ryo and Umibozu are based out of Shinjuku they do travel around Japan at times. Also, unlike Angel Heart, City Hunter was available in North America as it was licensed by ADV (anime) and Gutsoon (manga but it didn't get very far before Gutsoon went out of business) so with a bit of you might be able to find some of this series.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shinji: Well suppose some mysterious entities were attacking, and
Asuka:Oh please, Baka Shinji, that sounds like some cheap, pseudo-profound T.V. show. Low budget. Ambiguous ending.
-Asuka and Shinji discussing why you would build a giant robot. NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol.6
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:42 pm

Well there's my anime avatar of the minute, Black Lagoon, which is very much a gunslinger anime. Doesn't usually take place in Japan but considering they are a mercenary/pirate organization and all could work easily.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Sun May 29, 2011 12:17 am

city hunter by far..though its very much an 80s anime for the setting, would be a few years later helping would work, as for your under arrest, that would be easy to work out, sometype of problem and they ask for help.
blank lagoon, noir, full matal panic is a bit more future by a few years though. gun smith cats could be in japan for some reseason for a bounty hunter job or even on vacation and get involved. gun slinger girl would also work for the setting for section two working with the goverment to find someone wanted by itialy and have goverment backing for being there.
you now have my thinking ad if my anime pile was not so hard to get into i really would start looking for more stuff.....
project ako might work if you can stand aliens and super powers...bko's battle armor is most bad ass....and its a few years in the future....2016 i think
gaitz has something to do with japan now and guns, not raelly sure much about it. just never could getinto it though.
hope a few ideas help....now i will have to poke though my anime stuff and see just what i have for series i have forgotten about...sigh....
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Sun May 29, 2011 3:13 am

Actually, ckosacranoid, Full Metal Panic is present day (or a few year ago) taking place in the late 90's-early 2000's.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shinji: Well suppose some mysterious entities were attacking, and
Asuka:Oh please, Baka Shinji, that sounds like some cheap, pseudo-profound T.V. show. Low budget. Ambiguous ending.
-Asuka and Shinji discussing why you would build a giant robot. NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol.6
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Fellow Sufferer » Sun May 29, 2011 5:10 am

Then there's Homerun-chan(P3M). Perhaps a little too "modern day", but I believe she qualifies.
'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean different things.'
'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master - that's all.'

Fellow Sufferer
Senshi Cadet

Postby Pale Wolf » Mon May 30, 2011 12:38 am

Full Metal Panic is sort of AU modern-day, though. The Cold War's still going on in the FMP world, and crazyass superscience is kicking around.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon May 30, 2011 1:22 am

I came across Geobreeders and wondered if the protagonists would bother with something that isn't a phantom cat thingy.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Return to Fic Research