Temples and Shrines of Japan and China in Anime

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Temples and Shrines of Japan and China in Anime

Postby Spokavriel » Wed May 18, 2011 7:55 pm

I was wondering just how many Temples and Shrines get mentioned in association with real world locations (even if the shrine doesn't really exist.) in the area of China and Japan. How do the shrines get depicted, Are there any good fan sites to get a firm idea on what life is like at the individual shrines and the time frames they are depicted in?

Most of all are there any shrines from these areas that you think might make good Crossover Cameos for Ranma fanfics?

Links to resources would be most appreciated along with your own impressions of the depictions.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Re: Temples and Shrines of Japan and China in Anime

Postby mondu_the_fat » Wed May 18, 2011 8:58 pm

The otaku of 2chan sometimes go on sprees hunting for real-life locations of scenes in anime.

The shrine (and town) from Lucky Star is an infamous example.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washinomiya_Shrine
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed May 18, 2011 9:32 pm

Got a good link to a summery of how it is used and presented in the series?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri May 20, 2011 10:57 am

The Masaki Shrine is modeled after a real shrine in the same location, as described in the extras on the final DVD of Tenchi Muyo Ryo-oh-ki, "Final Confrontations". Lots and lots of details. I've used it, and so have many other fanfickers.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Fri May 20, 2011 12:31 pm

I think I have failed to present what I am actually looking for in this research request.

Real places are nice. But that isn't needed. Places that in the anime are in Japan or China are. And summaries of what is normal life for those temples in their series are what I am mostly looking for.

That information could be used to see if said temple would be a good one to use in a given crossover situation. Kinda like giving a taste test of the other Anime that actually include Temples. See if it might compliment your plot for a Cameo.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Return to Fic Research