Translating to different language

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Translating to different language

Postby genhoss2 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:28 pm

Been working on a fic for a while yet and have reached a brief stumbling block. was using a web translator but the translations are different for the same words at different sites and are way different than what i remember from when i took the class in hs.

Basicallly i was wanting the following phrases from english to german

You know nothing and are nothing

and

would you like help taking off your clothes

the translations i get are

Sie sind nichts und kennt nichts

and

Würde Sie mögen Hilfe, Ihre Kleider abzunehmen

anyway any assistance would be helpful thank you
genhoss2
Senshi Candidate

Re: Translating to different language

Postby Dumbledork » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:30 am

Ouch. Those translations hurt.

First thing of importance: Does this concern one person or several? While the English always use you in most other languages you use a different pronoun for one person or several. I guess it's one person in this case, right?

Here are the correct translations:

- Du weißt nichts und du bist nichts

the second one is rather easy since in the German language there's no need to mention the clothes at all since it's implied in this context.

- kann ich dir beim Ausziehen helfen?
Last edited by Dumbledork on Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Translating to different language

Postby genhoss2 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:29 pm

thank you. the first one mirrors pretty much what i remember from back then as the only phrase i ever mastered in the laungage was ich weiß nicht, passed my first year german 1 final with that phrase got a whopping 80 percent too... unfortunately the teacher changed his test after that. But didn't matter i switched to spanish after that and did the same thing.

My general laziness aside though the phrases were for one to say to prove that they could speak german, in this case a repeating words of a german sensie. So your phrases work, thanks again.
genhoss2
Senshi Candidate

Return to Fic Research