Reactions to waking up married

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Reactions to waking up married

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue May 18, 2010 11:38 am

This query has kind of been bubbling on the proverbial backburners for a while, but I've never gotten around to asking it until now. A plot that occasionally comes and goes for me is the idea of doing something, from either Ranma's perspective or that of the girl in question, when Ranma and a girl besides Akane "wakes up" one morning and discovers a rather bad gap in their memory. Basically, it's quite some time later than they last remember, days at the minimum, and something rather extreme happened during the time period they don't remember. The precise couple varies, how long ago it happened varies, whether they might have children varies, but usually it's only the perspective character who has forgotten how their present situation came to be.

What's kept me from actually trying my hand at this, fundamentally, rather simple plot is a simple matter: I'm not quite certain what the given reactions of the potential "protagonists" would be. How would Ranma react to waking up in the same bed as, say, an enthusiatically amorous Kasumi, or a pregnant Ukyo? How would Nabiki react to waking up to a shyly affectionate Ranma and her family's congratulations? How would Shampoo react to just waking up and discovering herself wed to Ranma and with a small child to take care of?

I don't really know. So, I thought I'd ask for people's opinions. I do know that there would be more reactions to the fact when the perspective character gets exposed to how their unremembered life has changed beyond the fact - Ranma's having to deal with the Tendo family's attitudes to him hooking up with one of Akane's sisters, or Nabiki trying to negotiate the social minefield of who is and isn't her friend now - but I also know that's basically the whole meat of this plot idea. I'm just having trouble figuring out the "kneejerk" reactions, what happens when it's just Ranma and/or whichever girl alone in a bedroom together in the early morning.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Reactions to waking up married

Postby Tornado Ninja Fan » Tue May 18, 2010 4:14 pm

That would also depend on when in the series they wake up.
The day after Ranma's arrival?
In the middle of the series?
After the failed marriage?

The reaction also depends on what the persons know about each other at that point and what their relationship was.

Nabiki for example would suspect that he is trying to get back at her for the time she pretended she loved him and became his fiancée, if this scene is set after that story. If she only remembered Ranma's arrival, she would suspect that the fathers and Ranma were cooperating, because they have decided the engagement wouldn't work with Akane.

Ranma in bed with a pregnant Ukyo would suspect some foul play with magic, not necessarily by Ukyo, but Happosai would be his first suspect.
Tornado Ninja Fan
Senshi Cadet

Postby WG_Writer » Tue May 18, 2010 5:49 pm

I supose it also depends on other factors, are we talking a pure Ranma fic or crossover? Then there is the mechanics of what occured?

One amusing idea you gave me with what you wrote is that you could do a Ranma/Sailor Moon cross with Ranma waking in bed with Makoto. After Moon does her time reset at the end of arc one, set it so that Ranma seems to the residents of Nerima to be here one day gone the next, and since Moon did her thing without thinking things through neither Ranma nor Makoto have any idea what to make of what happened since Moon when doing her time dance made it seem that they had always lived together, their memories disagree, but the building manager seems to prove they both moved in together a year ago.

Doing it this way you can illude that Ranma did something to help the senshi during the first season, without saying what, only having to imply that he did some thing.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Tue May 18, 2010 9:07 pm

Anyone who was aware of Shampoo's introductory arc (including Shampoo herself) would suspect the amazons, since it is the amazons that have demonstrated the ability to manipulate memory. Happosai or even Genma/Suon would also be suspected, especially if the most recent memories have him/them in the foreground.

As tornado fan said, it will very much depend when the memory gap occurs. Hitting Ukyo or Shampoo with such a memory gap while they were still on the hunt Ranma part of their lives would likely result in a very different result had they been hit with the memory gap later on.

It also depends on how old they are when the gap hits. Generally, adult physiology is more stable than a teenaged one, so no hormones to make every situation in their lives make it look like a great big drama -- an older Akane/Kodachi might be more calm, while a pregnant *anyone* would certainly be more excitable. An older Ranma might finally have had the balls to man up and make a final decision about the girls, even if he doesn't remember what the decision was. If I were 16 years old and my family was insisting I was already married, I'd likely accept it if only because being 16 and undergraduate means that I can't support myself if I chose to run away from the situation. I'd imagine anybody of the cast would as well, but if they were mature enough they'd have the option to simply leave their responsibilities behind and live by themselves.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:38 pm

I read a really good fic once with this exact plot point with Ranma waking up next to Nabiki and Akane being devastated about it. It was set during the time she was her fiancée. He got her drunk to embarrass her and...boom. Let me see if I can find it as it's quite similar to what you want to do here. Here it is: For Better or Worst Case Scenario. I think that's a pretty in character portrayal of what you're trying for so you may want to review that.

Honestly, it's a very interesting scenario. I really think Akane would be emotionally destroyed if he ended up with any of her sisters. Him waking up with a pregnant Kasumi? I don't think either of them would be able to deal with that situation. Would be an interesting read. Definitely give that story I linked a look may answer some of your questions and give you some ideas.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue May 18, 2010 11:26 pm

I want to thank you all for your helpful advice. I know I'm usually not very easy to get on with here and I want to tell you that I appreciate your efforts to provide advice.

I was absently thinking post anime timeline and straight Ranma, but you've all given me quite a bit to chew on. Thank you - especially WarGiver.

Frice2000, I was aware of that story, I actually rather enjoy it, but I didn't see the possible connection until you brought it up. Thanks.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Fic Research