Getting dressed in Japanese classrooms

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Getting dressed in Japanese classrooms

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:07 am

I was wondering what anyone could tell me about this. I can't seem to recall much from what I've seen in anime and manga, and I'm not sure how long it'd take me to find another example. But that wouldn't really answer everything about it, anyway...

I mean, for one, if the boys and girls are separated, does on group dress in the classroom while the other group waits to use it, or does the group outside of the classroom get dressed in the hall, or somewhere else? Stuff like that.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Re: Getting dressed in Japanese classrooms

Postby Makoto » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:58 pm

Well, the only significant changing of clothes (most others are just slipping inconsequential items on and off like smocks, aprons, shoes, hairnets, etc.) would be P.E., and I often see schools having separate boys' and girls' locker rooms.
As for the earlier grade classes (not sure if this is common across all schools/classes) that choose to change in the classrooms, I'm not sure how they handle it - most instances I see in manga/anime usually just gloss over it, only showing the time the story's characters are changing. I think they do wait (possibly with the girls dressing last), but I couldn't be sure about that. I've heard of some even wearing their P.E. uniforms underneath their school uniforms, although I'd guess that would be rather rare.
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:32 pm

In Melancholy of Haruhi mentions in Episode 1 that two classes would merge for PE and the girls would change in one and the boys in the other.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:48 pm

The answer for this question is dependent on the school, time period, and grade level.

Single sex schools, which were very common, just change in the classrooms.

The Japanese do not have the same nudity taboos as western culture so elementary school kids would (depending on the school) change in class (both male and female), this practice is usually not continued in Junior high or highschool.

Some schools have locker rooms in which they change in.

Some older schools that do not have locker rooms and were single sex before and no longer are have one sex change in one room and the other in another room.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:02 pm

Alright. Thanks, everyone. I found that very helpful. ^^
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Return to Fic Research