Ranma flirting back: reactions?

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Ranma flirting back: reactions?

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:56 pm

Like the title says, I was wondering: what would be the in-character reactions for the various chaser girls (i.e. Ukyo, Shampoo & Kodachi- Akane basically has Ranma handed to her, hence why she doesn't try to seduce him... well, that and the fact she's too shy to even think of doing that) if Ranma stopped turning into a panic-struck wreck whenever they tried something and instead began to flirt back?

If it helps matters, Ranma's responses are relatively low-key- a quick, gentle stroke rather than glomping, a bit of suggestive dialogue/innuendo rather than asking for a date, that sort of thing.

Anyway, as I was saying, what kind of reactions would Ranma's attempting to be the seducer (and he actually does have some skill in romantic approach, he just doesn't use it on his fiancees- till now, anyway) instead of the seducee result it?

And, now that I think about it, if word got back to the other members of the tangled web of attraction, what would be their reactions? Mousse wouldn't care unless it was Shampoo he was flirting with, but what about Ryoga and Tatewaki Kuno? Not to mention the other girls...
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:51 pm

I was in a situation like that once, and you have never seen such a switch from aggression to backpedalling in your life.

Way I see the girls:

Akane would hit him.
Shampoo would start taking off her clothes.
Ukyo would probably be fairly balanced, but have an uneasy night.
Kodachi, I suspect, might handle it well. It's only her due, after all.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:06 pm

"flirting" doesn't necessarily mean openly displaying interest.

Flirting can be disguised as harmless banter, which Ranma is actually good at. Ranma is terrible when he doesn't like the target (see Tsubasa), but does it well otherwise.

Ranma was flirting with Ukyo when he called her cute.

The entire Romeo and Juliet arc was a long, drawn-out flirtation with Akane culminating in a faux-kiss.

Far more obvious was the dogi. How would Akane react? Up until she found out Ranma's alternate intentions, she seemed... receptive. It think it would largely depend on how he pulls it off.

Ukyo would take in in stride. The first instance just took her off balance.

Shampoo, despite throwing herself at him, probably wouldn't know Ranma was flirting with her unless he does it openly like the reversal jewel or the way he tried to do it with Tsubasa. I dunno, its hard to explain in her case. Maybe the language barrier. I just can't see Ranma and Shampoo discussing, for example, ramen and managing to disguise it as flirting. Subtle Innuendos are terribly hard to pull of when there's a communication gap. The only way I see them flirting which each other passively would be, say, during martial arts training or something, with a lot of physical contact to help things along.

Kodachi strikes me as someone who's good at getting and receiving.

Would the others care? With subtle flirting, I have a feeling it will be completely missed by the other cast of Ranma, except for the adults, and it wouldn't be in keeping with the manga's flavor for the adults to actually notice small things like that. Kasumi might, in the same way she figured out that Nabiki was head-screwing (blatantly flirting, really) with Ranma.
Last edited by mondu_the_fat on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:13 pm

Out of curiosity, would the background canon (anime or manga) change their reactions, due to the differences in characterization? But thanks for the answers so far.

Though, I have to wonder; would Kodachi (at least, anime-Kodachi) really just accept Ranma's behavior? Aggresive as she is, she doesn't really seem to have that much of an understanding of how it "works", so is it possible that having Ranma suddenly come on to her (especially after he's been running from her all the time) might actually be a disorientating, intimidating or even disturbing turn of events for her?
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Fic Research