Have an idea, but worried about characterization for it

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Have an idea, but worried about characterization for it

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:25 am

This idea came to me recently after browsing a branch on the Anime Addventure, but, as the title says, I'm worried about whether or not it'd be possible to use it without rendering one or more characters completely OoC.

The basic idea stems from the fact that Ranma is not sexually naive so much as he is naive in the ways of intimacy- canonically, he knows how sex works (the scene from the Happo Fire Burst story where Ranma is feeling horny, recognizes exactly what he's feeling and why he's feeling that way, is proof of that), but he is, for obvious reasons, quite in the dark when it comes to things like hugs and other such touchy-feely behavior. The fact that no one (that I know of, anyway) has ever bothered to make a story capitalizing on such an idea gave me the encouragement to start giving the idea serious thought, though I just had to come here to get some worried off my chest.

Anyway, the idea is that one of Ranma's fiancees realises that the reason Ranma keeps running off when they try to cuddle or touch or even spend quality time with him isn't that he's playing hard to get, or due to the machinations of those other girls (at least, not entirely): it's because he's so out of his depth in such a situation that he can't help but flee in fear. As they obviously can't have that, the only option is to try and educate Ranma in the 'gentle arts'... but, equally obviously, they cannot do so themselves- they may not admit that they can't really trust themselves to overstep the profesional boundary, they can admit that Ranma will be so nervous of them that it'd just make things harder, and/or that their efforts would draw the jealous fury of Ranma's other would-be brides.

So, an outsider is obviously required. The one chosen? Nabiki Tendo; skilled in the arts of dating and courtship, open to bribery no matter who her deeds hurt, and completely disinterested in wooing Ranma. Basically, the girl approaches Nabiki in secret and offers to pay her a suitably hefty sum for being Ranma's 'tutor' in the lore of intimacy.

And here's why I was worried: would any of Ranma's other suitors really be able to look at the situation logically enough to come to that sort of decision? And even if they did, would they be able to reign their jealousy in check to be able to stand having Nabiki be the one to teach Ranma that hugs and the like aren't scary? And, finally, would Nabiki really be willing to teach Ranma about *that* in exchange for money? Yes, she is greedy to the point of stupidity, but she's also kind of lazy, and definately interested in preserving her own skin (though her greed can overwhelm self-preservation instincts)...
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:33 am

I'd argue about him being in the dark, regarding things like hugs and touchy-feely behavior. I think it depends on the circumstances, and the possible ramifications if he were to reciprocate with this or that person. (And then toss in some typical Takahashi stubborness, along with intended silliness, and there you have it.) For instance, when Shampoo gave him the kiss of marriage, he had an audience, which pretty much rendered him clueless as to how to respond. Later, when he's trying to explain things to Shampoo, and thought he was alone, he seemed to have a good idea of how to handle things until Shampoo became too intimate, regardless of his efforts, until she got the better of his sensibilities. But he did resist her well enough. (And later, he has rational thoughts about Shampoo's affection in relation to Akane, the one girl that he should be loyal to.)

Regardless, I don't think it'd be impossible, but surely it would be difficult to accomplish without making at least one of the characters too OOC. Aside from the fact that they'd probably abhor the idea of another girl getting intimate with Ranma, I don't think the idea would ever occur to any of them. Plus, would Ranma even be willing? And if he's not to be made aware of it, how would Nabiki accomplish it without him realizing it?

I have an idea, that amounts to the same result (but in a different way), but since I'm planning on writing it... Well, re-writing it... Well, you know how it is. ;/
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:16 am

Being ignorant of how to hug or kiss properly is not that uncommon, so it makes sense. On the other hand, it's more complex for Ranma because after arriving in Nerima, he gets negative reinforcement in the matter: almost every time a girl starts to get affectionate with him, it ends with him getting hurt. That's an idea that has been explored in a number of fan fiction stories.

The one area I see where you're going way off course is with Nabiki. She's not a mercenary, and she's definitely not a prostitute. I can't imagine her agreeing to engage in any kind of intimacy, no matter how mild, because someone pays her. That would be a grave insult for them to even ask her.

Canon Nabiki does the things she does for several reasons, including boredom, greed, or misguided attempts to be helpful. She's not a genius, she's just more clever than Ranma and Akane. Her attempts at scamming people are amateurish and rarely have payoffs, and even then the highest amount of money I can think of her getting from one was about $50.

Next, she's lazy. If something requires a long time to pay off or will involve significant effort on her part, you can safely bet that she'll give it a pass. The longest and most involved plot she started was when she took over Ranma's engagement, and that was because she messed up. She was looking for a quick resolution to Ranma and Akane's snit, and to make a little money off Akane. Instead, it ballooned out of control and blew up in her face.

So no. I can see almost any other girl in the series but Nabiki taking on the job. Nabiki has no interest in Ranma, and she'd never want to invest so much time and energy in him.

Kasumi might, since she'd be looking at his development from a somewhat motherly point of view. Akane might, and that would be a riot because I doubt she has a much better idea of what to do than he does. Shampoo would be ecstatic, but she has an unfortunate tendency to become a cat that the most inappropriate times. Ukyou would also be enthusiastic, but gets embarrassed easily, and that ends with Ranma being hit with her battle spatula or sent flying into walls.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby FOG3 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:45 am

*sigh*

I'm starting to wonder just how promiscuous a background you hail from SpaceKnight.

What you suggest is not reasonable in any positive sense of the word. They'd basically have to deceive themselves to believe bringing in yet more competition and giving said competition a considerable edge they can't compete with encouraging emotional attachment on Ranma's part would be a good thing. If they thought said individual had zero potential interest it could kind of work. Except a general lack of comfort arounds girls is not his problem. Of course, then you had to add in the nasty...

There is a serious lack of crossover between your Rent-a-Slut and someone there's an actual emotional bond, or at least intent to forge one with. I tend to doubt any female not deluding herself isn't going to recognize that given how much they value the emotional half of the relationship. Honestly who isn't smart enough to not recognize the hang ups with the person you like verse everybody else? Hence I don't see this flying as you're pitching it, period.

You propose letting foxes guard the, in this case highly valued, chickens.
FOG3

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:25 am

I didn't really think this idea could be used, but thanks to all of you for your explanations. I'll drop it now.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:42 am

Don't let it discourage you, if you're really interested in the idea. I'm sure there's a way to do it without it being too OOC, even if not exactly according to the basis you laid down here. If I can think of a way (though different), I'm sure that you can.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:57 am

I appreciate the encouragement, Crescent Pulsar, but I've got plenty of other ideas- the loss of one or two don't really matter. Still, thanks for the words, and good luck with your fanfic.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Fic Research