Might Ranma have chosen to run?

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Postby Ran » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:12 am

For me the curse and the troubles it brought was one of the major entertainment aspects of the show.

Ranma does tend to lose some of his entertainment factor if cured, and whilst I don't mind the concept of Ranma being cured, the times I have seen it done it has almost always been done in an offscreen or ultimately boring way. Like he managed to have it shipped to him. It's always seemed to me that it should be the culmination of a large story arc, he should have to deal with rivals and struggle to get three jars to the right location, for a temporary spring to appear, actually have his trek through China described and the hijinks that occur explored as he seeks out Jusenkyo. Have it presented as a wedding gift that helps cause an already tenuous sitation to completely spiral out of control. That kind of thing.

If it is just "between then and now, Ranma got himself cured" or "Nabiki rings Ranma on the phone whilst he has completed his first year of college to let him know that they got enough water in to cure all of the guys".

Curiously enough, fics where Ranma decides to accept the curse (and accept being truly female part time) are becoming increasingly irritating to me as well. I like the struggle along with the occasional taking advantage of the curse.
Ran
Senshi Cadet

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:49 am

Ran wrote:For me the curse and the troubles it brought was one of the major entertainment aspects of the show.

Not only that, the curse is a basic part of the central character. Martial artists are a dime a dozen in manga and anime; sexchangers and genderbenders are also common. The combination is not. Cure the curse, and you lose the uniqueness.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Southern Cross » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:09 am

The reason why people consider Ranma's curse to be an essential part of the character is quite simple-we've never known him without it!
"We're all part monsters in our subconscious-That's why we have laws and religion!" -Captain J.J. Adams
Southern Cross
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby FOG3 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:03 pm

Southern Cross wrote:The reason why people consider Ranma's curse to be an essential part of the character is quite simple-we've never known him without it!
Not to mention he's basically just a Mark 2 of Ryuunosuke Fujinami, a female character raised as a boy used in Urusei Yatsura. In a lot of respects he actually drops story potential relative to his predecessor, IMHO. Drop the curse and there's not much left after that.
FOG3

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:37 pm

Can we kindly get back on topic? I said I didn't really want to talk about this.

Now... I wonder; could it be possible, without it seeming too much of an ass-pull, for Ranma and Shampoo to go back to Japan after meeting up at Jusenkyo? Perhaps, after hearing about Ranma's training trip, Cologne declares that it's actually an old custom for warriors of her village to go to far off lands to train, so would Ranma (who was planning to head back anyway, in his own words) mind being Shampoo's guide and/or helping her to train? Of course, in reality, Cologne is really hoping to swindle Ranma into spending time with Shampoo so that he'll accept the Kiss of Marriage, but it gives two fairly decent plot hooks. Hook 1 sends him back to Japan, where his father and Ryoga and Ukyo and who-knows-who-else are all going to try and chase him to earth. Hook 2 encourages him to seek out trouble, making it kind of like Nerima, but with a much wider stage.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:40 pm

Could it be possible? Much more than hoards of other hooks I've seen. It could even be interesting if R&S end up travelling around Japan and keep running into Ryoga (of course) and finding the usual Ranma hijinks along the way...
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:31 am

That was basically what I was aiming for. Do you have any suggestions for how Cologne might 'justify' sending Shampoo to Japan with Ranma? She's canny enough to not make this an order, after all, but how could she persuade Ranma to allow Shampoo to tag along with him? Hmm... an earlier poster mentioned that Cologne might bring up the fact Shampoo faces punishment because of the lie he told her... perhaps that might play a part?

And it's not as though it's not canon, in the anime, for trouble to come from outside Nerima, or for them to walk into it. Sotatsu Jikei'ien came from outside of the area, as Copycat Ken, and they went to the Royal Prince Hotel that was plagued by the lonely master of Bathhouse Fu, they went to Love Mushroom Mountain... and those are just examples from right off the top of my head.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Might Ranma have chosen to run?

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:38 pm

I've started giving thought to seriously writing this idea, and I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand? My thoughts were of the line that, upon meeting Shampoo and Cologne at the Jusenkyo Springs, unknowningly interrupting them before they begin Shampoo's "retraining", Cologne would bring up how Ranma has disgraced/dishonoured Shampoo by sending her home beaten and humiliated, and that the consequence for this is Shampoo will be forced to receive her own Jusenkyo curse as a mark of shame. Feeling maybe a little guilty for how he actually "defeated" her a second time, and being willing to consider himself unhypocritical enough that he can't just sit back and let Shampoo be stuck with the same sort of thing that he, himself, despises so much, Ranma asks if there's a way he can help Shampoo avoid having to be punished in this fashion, then being hit by inspiration and ask if offering to train her in his style would allow Shampoo to redeem herself and avoid having to be "retrained" by Cologne at Jusenkyo.

My two questions are thus: would this work? Would it be in character for Ranma to feel guilty about having effectively condemned someone else to Jusenkyo's curse and try to make amends?

Secondly, if it would work, then how might Cologne "explain" this to him? How might she convey how Ranma's actions have disgraced Shampoo, forcing her to be punished, and do so in such a way that Ranma would have reason to feel guilty?

I really need this advice, as I've reached the part in the story where Ranma actually does meet them at Jusenkyo and I'm drawing a complete blank on how to proceed.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:28 pm

Before I address those two questions, I'd like to address how Ranma winds up there in the first place. I'd like to know why, to gauge whether or not it's believable enough. (We all know that he doesn't follow her in canon, after all; so there would have to be a reasonable explanation for the deviation.) Also, I'd like to point out that being sent home "beaten and humiliated" isn't the issue. Cologne was only upset because Shampoo came back without killing Ranma, which broke their laws. The training wasn't a punishment according to those laws, but because she wasn't competent enough to uphold them. In fact, there's really no indication that any of them knew that falling into the spring would get them cursed. It's just an assumption that Cologne would know, and that's understandable; but how can "training" be interpreted as "I'll punish you by giving you a curse?"

Now, as for the questions. If you can find a reason for Ranma to follow Shampoo back to China, it's possible. It wouldn't be the first time that he felt sorry for someone, or felt guilty about something he did, and followed after. Tsubasa is a good example. But the circumstances surrounding Shampoo are a lot more complicated; that's why he didn't follow her despite making her cry and such in the canon. Whether or not he gets Shampoo out of training, or at least postponing it and it taking place somewhere else later, is another matter.

I can't really address the second question, since I disagree with the premise of it. But, if it's all in an effort to make a Ranma/Shampoo pairing, I'm sure that things could still be worked out. Ranma's a reasonable and kind enough person when he's not being treated the wrong way. Which is why things went swimmingly in regard to making up with Tsubasa until said person decided to show their silly affection toward him.

Out of curiosity: being that Ranma will be at Jusenkyo, is his curse/cure addressed?
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:16 am

I guess a recap would be helpful- to be honest, I'd kinda given up hope that someone would post here. Anyway, this story has its base the night after Shampoo leaves the Tendo Dojo, the episode "I Am A Man! Ranma's Going Back to China?": basically, Ranma is bickering with Genma over being forced to remain in Nerima when he could be going back to China to get a cure. Genma basically derails the argument by accusing Ranma of having been seduced by Shampoo and planning to elope, which prompts the whole nutfarm to rise up and beat Ranma unconscious- in canon. In this story, Ranma instead chooses to run and, fuelled by anger, pride, and his general desire for a curse, heads to Jusenkyo: he doesn't have any explicit intentions of not returning to Nerima, but first and foremost is getting a cure. Through the miracle of plot convenience, he arrives just as Cologne and Shampoo are about to begin her 'retraining'.

The reason I figured Cologne would take this as an opportunity to A: subtly nudge Ranma into accepting his "engagement" to Shampoo (not that Ranma is aware of it at the time) and B: find an excuse for not giving Shampoo a curse is because she, in canon, blames Shampoo having to receive a curse on Ranma ("It's your fault. You made her do it." is what she says) and also tells Shampoo she has to be retrained because she's broken the law by coming home in defeat.

As for your own question, yes, Ranma will be getting a cure- it's truly why he came here, not out of any desire to make amends for hurting Shampoo the way he did. Before you bring up Taro, I'll point out that curses melding does not neccessarily preclude curses replacing; from the info we have in canon, it's just as likely that a small dose of curse water will merge curses while a larger dose will overwrite them. It just means that Ranma will have to jump into the Nanniichuan if he wants to truly be cured and not become some sort of mutant freak when splashed with cold water. As to why they didn't get cured before coming to Japan, I personally blame first Ryoga, then Shampoo.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:37 am

*Rewatches the episode, after so many years*

Hm. I honestly think it's a bit of a stretch, but not impossible. After all, he does complain, near the end of the episode, how no one ever listens to him. It's pretty clear that they haven't, and how little sense the misunderstanding made. As if forced. But he's generally not one to to drop things and leave (especially not far), unless he has a very good reason to do so (when he thought he'd be weak forever, for instance).

The paragraph with the A and B parts was written in a way that confused me, sorry. All I can say is that, as far as I know, Cologne didn't blame Ranma like that. Shampoo blamed him and Cologne's rhetorical followup asked whether he was responsible for what happened, in general. But Cologne can't blame him for being stronger/more skilled than Shampoo in the first place; that's what ultimately led to the kiss of death and the kiss of marriage. He just happened to be the same person in both cases. Cologne choosing the training location is her own fault.

But that doesn't exactly help you with what you're after, either way. I honestly think that it would be tough to get Ranma to willingly accept Shampoo, whether if it's after a trick to officially marry him to her, or to make him obligated to be with her. (Which isn't taking into account his obligation to marry a Tendo daughter.) Making him feel responsible for her, in some way, is probably the best way. Although... I think the start could be simple enough. He could ask what they're doing (since it's unavoidable, really; no matter who addresses whom first), learns that Shampoo is being retrained, and why. He feels bad and explains the circumstances (Shampoo may not have told Cologne since, as a proud warrior, she may not feel like giving any excuses for her failure), and apologizes for the lie ("I'm really a girl").

Beyond that... *Shrugs* I'm more in favor for the curse, so I'll offer another idea on that front, which still ends with him being cured and paired with Shampoo. Well, since most people agree that Cologne is a wise character in the series, and sneaky, I think it's a sensible enough idea. But that's just me. ;p Since she can still blame him for the mess that he made of their laws (since the ones in question weren't meant to apply to the same person), she lets him off of the hook; what with the unique circumstances and all. However, there's a catch: he would have to train with Shampoo until she's his equal. "To make it so the two laws can no longer apply," would be Cologne's explanation (but isn't her true intention, of course). She makes Ranma think that it would clear up that mess, and put Ranma's mind at ease. After all, if he can't defeat Shampoo in any form, why should either law still apply (due in part to the aforementioned unique circumstances)? But, in reality, it's her plan to get them closer while they train together; letting nature take its course. Ranma wouldn't think anything of it since he'd have to be a girl in their village, and he wouldn't expect a friendly relation between girls to be anything more than friendship. But, being a man inside, he'd realize too late how far their friendship had blossomed. So, by the time he's finished, gets cured and ready to leave for Japan, his defenses are down when Shampoo is sad to see him leave.

Sheesh, I just wrote a story in that block of text-y doom. :roll: Sorry; don't mind it. I'm just tired, and hungry, and can't think of a better way to offer assistance. Even though it's not something that I'm interested in, personally. I'm strange like that. <_<;
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:07 am

Crescent Pulsar wrote:Beyond that... *Shrugs* I'm more in favor for the curse, so I'll offer another idea on that front, which still ends with him being cured and paired with Shampoo. Well, since most people agree that Cologne is a wise character in the series, and sneaky, I think it's a sensible enough idea. But that's just me. ;p Since she can still blame him for the mess that he made of their laws (since the ones in question weren't meant to apply to the same person), she lets him off of the hook; what with the unique circumstances and all. However, there's a catch: he would have to train with Shampoo until she's his equal. "To make it so the two laws can no longer apply," would be Cologne's explanation (but isn't her true intention, of course). She makes Ranma think that it would clear up that mess, and put Ranma's mind at ease. After all, if he can't defeat Shampoo in any form, why should either law still apply (due in part to the aforementioned unique circumstances)? But, in reality, it's her plan to get them closer while they train together; letting nature take its course. Ranma wouldn't think anything of it since he'd have to be a girl in their village, and he wouldn't expect a friendly relation between girls to be anything more than friendship. But, being a man inside, he'd realize too late how far their friendship had blossomed. So, by the time he's finished, gets cured and ready to leave for Japan, his defenses are down when Shampoo is sad to see him leave.

Sheesh, I just wrote a story in that block of text-y doom. :roll: Sorry; don't mind it. I'm just tired, and hungry, and can't think of a better way to offer assistance. Even though it's not something that I'm interested in, personally. I'm strange like that. <_<;

Works for me. I think Ranma would suspect what Cologne was trying, but might feel enough guilt to let her try it.

The big problem would be training up Shampoo to be Ranma's equal. He's supposed to be the best? Kinda hard to beat that. So change the conditions to, oh, "a year and a day".
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:25 am

Actually, I don't think that he'd have much reason to suspect anything from her. Mostly because he doesn't know her at this point. When she appears in canon she's rather direct in her intentions; but, if she starts off with a facade to cover her intentions, it's unlikely that he'd notice. I'm just wondering why he'd feel guilty if he found out she was trying. *Blink-blink*

And "supposed" is the operative word, there. ;p Granted, he has enough skill to come out on top often enough, despite any initial losses that he may have had, but there's bound to be better. Even canonically, it isn't until long after this point in the series that we're shown how Ranma has become stronger than his father, absolutely. So, at this point, he's either worse than, or a match for, his father. (And it's my opinion that Cologne can defeat him, if she wished.) That aside, as you mentioned, the real issue would be whether Shampoo would have the ability to match Ranma, after a given amount of training. I think it's possible; especially since it's practically left open for the imagination. So any fan-fiction writer could dictate what her aptitude could/would be.

Sorry for going a bit off track, Spacey. I couldn't help responding. ^^;;
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:35 pm

That's alright. I appreciate your suggestions and I think you've just given me some ideas on how to tweak what I have. I wasn't thinking of just throwing the two together; at this point, all Cologne is trying to do is give Ranma a reason to acept Shampoo being in his presence, figuring that time together, now that Ranma has "clearly thrown off his old engagement" (He hasn't, but that not obvious to her) will cause him to let Shampoo into his heart. She has an excuse not to have to retrain Shampoo at Jusenkyo, and she's positive she'll return with at least a better grasp of martial arts, if not Ranma himself.

Cologne seems to more be supporting Shampoo in her attributing the blame to Ranma when she appears in canon, to me.
Shampoo: "This is all your fault! You pay for what you done!"
Ranma: (don't quite remember what he says, but boils down to protesting innocence)
Cologne: "I hold you responsible for this. You made her do it."

I'm intending for them to go back to Japan for training, but out of curiosity about your proposal: why on earth would Ranma need to remain in female form if he was to train her at the village? All of the people there know his girl-form as the person who beat Shampoo in the first place, and the knowledge that "she" is really a "he" would probably spread like wildfire, if it hasn't already. Not to mention the fact that Mousse and the Kiss of Marriage law prove they have no problem with guys practicing martial arts anyway.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:04 pm

What Cologne said there must be from the anime, then. It's a lot different in the manga.

Ranma would train with her as a girl because they're warrior women. The village itself is likely inhabited by nothing but women (since I don't see any men during the fight with Shampoo, and I don't recall seeing a man there at any other time). We can only assume that men live in a neighboring village, since the guide (with his bad "English") doesn't say anything that would suggest that the village is occupied by anyone but women. (He first says: "This is village of Amazons." While we should know that they're not exactly Amazons, it still suggests an all-woman village. And then he says: "This village of women are very strong." The words in bold are additions, to fix his broken "English." I think that's the exact meaning that he was trying to convey.) As for Mousse, it's not a problem about men knowing martial arts, but men learning their martial arts. Or any outsider, to be more precise. Ranma is obviously a special case, as Shampoo's prospective husband.

That aside, there is a logical argument for it. For one, Shampoo failed. So, really, the kiss of death no longer applies. But the kiss of marriage stays because it's not about defeat. (Which is why they go back to Japan.) So, while I'm sure there will be some ill feelings toward Ranma as a girl (since he was the cause for one of their own to break their laws), they would accept him because the kiss of marriage still applies, and because it's more important for them to marry (and bear children from) strong men. I'm even pretty sure that Cologne's proposal would make plenty of women in the village aware of her plan, if not immediately then eventually, and they'd secretly spread the word to help make him feel right at home.

I honestly don't see how Ranma can get too attached to Shampoo by going back to Japan. I think being away from everyone else, and being around people who won't judge him for being on friendly terms with Shampoo (and thus jump to conclusions and cause him grief and physical pain), he can have the freedom to appreciate his time with her, with no fear of having to avoid her or treat her as others would expect him to. So, even if he's not in love by the time that they do go back to Japan, the seed of distinct possibility will definitely be planted in his heart.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Fic Research