Ranma 1/2 Fannon Vs Cannon

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Ranma 1/2 Fannon Vs Cannon

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:31 pm

I've been reading too many fanfics and am having trouble remembering which training methods and actual Martial arts training practices only get into Ranma 1/2 stories through Fannon. Such as Kata.

The thing is I would like sites with information on actual martial arts training practices that are more detailed than just what I could see shown in say the Karate Kid movies. I know they show basic Kata, specific move practice, and alternative movement training methods for blocks. But I intend to try to make a fic where the Anything Goes school can start out pure cannon and in the fic be evolve into something more real world traditional before the end.

So just in case I caused confusion I'd like to know what real world martial arts training things are only in Ranma Stories as fannon and links to (Preferably in english) sites with actual real world martial arts training tips and tools.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:01 am

I'm not an expert on martial arts but do know some. A lot of martial arts is just conditioning. Strength training, speed training, balance exercises, endurance exercises, etc... There are many ways these are done. Weight lifting, running, balancing on objects, etc...

Kata is really just a set pattern of common techniques - punches, kicks, etc.../set of moves while trying to maintain perfect form. Practicing them to achieve fluidity and perfecting your techniques. Kata is the Japanese term for it and in other countries/styles it is called different things. Chinese for instance use the term taolu. In USA called forms/patterns. Kata's are not limited to martial arts, tea ceremony for example also uses kata.

Randori - is sparing and mock combat. It's like kata but less structured.

These types of training are seen in the manga/anime of Ranma occasionally.

Some sites:
http://www.fightauthority.com/ has a lot of videos on training.
http://martialarts.about.com/ has links to information and blogs on martial arts check instruction for basic info
http://www.fightingarts.com/ is also a good site. I've been on it's forum a few times.
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

My Blog: http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Re: Ranma 1/2 Fannon Vs Cannon

Postby LawOhki » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:56 pm

toushin wrote:http://ranmafanon.wikia.com/wiki/Ranma_1/2_Fanon_Wiki

Hi There! I'm Jim Robert Bader

Close window.

Also for some reason they combined it with GD and taking a brief look, they got things wrong.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:19 pm

LawOhki wrote:Hi There! I'm Jim Robert Bader

Close window.

Hahaha...What you don't like epically long fics that contain a massive amount of lemons and deviant sexuality and then don't end?
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:45 pm

Canon never actually shows Ranma using kata, though using them to some extent is extremely likely. They are a good way to warm up before serious training, though Genma seems to be a great believer in not giving Ranma a chance to warm up because you won't have the time to warm up before most real fights. On the other hand, if you do thorough warm-up exercises every day, your body will warm up faster and faster, so they may just start their morning spar slow until they are ready to move to higher intensity.

Then again, I wouldn't put it past Genma to get up early, strecth and get himself warmed up, then throw Ranma out the windom to start the morning spar. This would explain why Genma seems to repeatedly have the upper hand at the beginning of the match while Ranma is still waking up, then get beat at the end of the match once Ranma has warmed up.

Sparring against an opponent is a much more effective training method than katas because it reinforces more flexible uses of the moves. While they aren't specifically katas, many of the things Ranma does while training in new styles could loosely qualify as them. He creates a series of moves based on what he has observed, tries them out, then analyzes and adapts those moves before repeating the new pattern. This allows him to feel the moves and figure them out from the inside, and practice the same moves enough to allow him to use them rapidly, which is one of the purposes of katas. Once he achieves a certain level of mastery with those moves, kata are only really useful for maintaining his skill when he doesn't have a sparring partner with whom to practice.

Ranma often sets up equipment that he can then use to practice, such as when he set up the swinging buckets of hot and cold water with the Parlay du Foie Gras training to practice his speed and accuracy.

When he does not have a sparring partner available, he almost certainly does some katas as part of his warm-up, even if he moves into more freeform moves for the more intense parts of his workouts.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby LawOhki » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Wyrd wrote:Then again, I wouldn't put it past Genma to get up early, strecth and get himself warmed up, then throw Ranma out the windom to start the morning spar. This would explain why Genma seems to repeatedly have the upper hand at the beginning of the match while Ranma is still waking up, then get beat at the end of the match once Ranma has warmed up.

When does this happen? I think there's maybe 2 instances where this happens and neither have Ranma being woken up by Genma throwing him around. Happosai is far more likely to surprise Ranma in the morning.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:27 pm

Maybe that is fanon, though I seem to recall seeing it somewhere. There are multiple accounts of Ranma and Genma sparring in the early morning. I can't think of where in the series to look for specific instances of where I got that impression, though, as it is more of a background detail and not something that stuck with me as a clear reference, like the Gymnastics arc, Gambling King arc, etc.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:46 pm

There is more anime support for morning sparing. Its more hinted at than shown in manga when it is mentioned at all. Throwing out the window happened more times by Akane and P-Chan than by Genma.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:43 am

Wyrd wrote:Canon never actually shows Ranma using kata, though using them to some extent is extremely likely.

Most of the training is not shown and it is kind of difficult to show kata in a manga. That said, Ranma is shown to do kata in the anime though (it appears to be a Tai Chi kata and it is even shown as part of one of the season openings).

Ranma and Genma sparing in the morning is shown a few times for example in the first volume when Kasumi calls them in (it is shown for one panel about 1/3 of a page) though there are other times as well (for example Ranma and Genma are shown sparing via running battle while Akane is jogging in the morning at another point).

Throwing Ranma out Ranma's room window and into the pond I think only happens in the anime. If I recall correctly the pond is not directly under his room window in the manga (I believe that it's on a different side of the house in the manga).
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:23 am

three headed dog wrote:Throwing Ranma out Ranma's room window and into the pond I think only happens in the anime. If I recall correctly the pond is not directly under his room window in the manga (I believe that it's on a different side of the house in the manga).

I believe this is from a promo for the anime but I haven't seen anything in the manga to go against it. So if this would be accurate then yes the pond is basically under their window.

LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:34 am

The strange thing is that both the Anime and manga have sequences go in ways that make the image impossible at times while other times its clearly what was being followed.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:27 am

Spokavriel wrote: The strange thing is that both the Anime and manga have sequences go in ways that make the image impossible at times while other times its clearly what was being followed.

I once did a full comparison of Akanes room from 2 points in the manga... everything is moved around and even structurally it does not match...

So there are too many inconsistencies in the house design.

It also changes from anime TV to anime OVA.

Room and house layouts are inconsistent in several Anime and manga series, and by that I mean even within their own media format, not just betwween formats.

Tenchi, Ranma and Negima all suffer this.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:54 am

Tenchi has a bit more stability but I know what you mean. Just the stairway entrance to Washu's lab in the OVA changing and changing back for 1 scene but then returning to the first change which was suppose to have happened after the house was rebuilt.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:30 am

Spokavriel wrote: Tenchi has a bit more stability but I know what you mean. Just the stairway entrance to Washu's lab in the OVA changing and changing back for 1 scene but then returning to the first change which was suppose to have happened after the house was rebuilt.

No... it is pretty messed up depending upon when comparing it.

Rather than post it here, I'll PM you an old comparison I posted in WarpWizards Blog from back when me and him and one other were discussing it.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Next

Return to Fic Research