Japanese High School Curriculum

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Postby Dumbledork » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:12 pm

Thanks for the info. I knew about points 1. and 2. but not about the others. We have one thing in common with the Japanese. We are also assigned to one room. And we don't have junior or senior high school. All students of the seven years of secondary education share the same school.
However what I noticed in a lot of manga and anime is that they seem to have disgusting toilets (or rather no toilets at all). Do they even have toilet paper?
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:28 pm

They do indeed have restrooms in schools. It would be impossible for them to operate without any. Whether or not they have western-style fittings is another matter; toilets you have to squat to use can be found in many, especially the older buildings. The students are responsible for cleaning the restrooms too.
However, public toilets may not include toilet paper; when visiting Japan, it's highly recommended that you carry some with you. Hand towels are the same. You may have noticed in some programs that when washing their hands, the characters often use their handkerchief to dry off afterward.
Sports clubs seem to provide towels for members, but that's more speculation on my part than something I know as fact.
Japan has junior and senior high schools, and they are not normally the same institution. Public schooling is mandatory only until junior high. Senior high is optional, and students have to compete to get into them.
The exception is private "elevator" schools, where students pass from elementary school to junior high to high school, and sometimes to college courses, all in the same institute. Elevator schools are expensive and places in them are highly sought after, and they generally have waiting lists. In them, graduation from one level to the next is automatic.
Graduates from elevator schools are also considered something of an elite, so job placement for them is easier to find than for graduates of public schools.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Winchester » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:50 pm

One anime where the competition for high school entry is visible is Sailor Moon (can't remember which season, probably SuperS, might have been Stars). IIRC, it was made a big deal out of - especially Usagi having passed...

Japan doesn't, or at least didn't, have a nationalized entrance exam system - each school makes you sit *their* entrance exam, IIRC. Cram schools (juku) aiming specifically towards an entrance exam are pretty common - for example Hideki in Chobits. The Love Hina crew and their repeated failures to get into Toudai are another illustration of the idea.

As to how clubs are run in Japan, I don't have any concrete ideas - in the anime/manga I've watched so far, there doesn't seem to be any mandatory faculty advisors, for example. The clubs pretty much rule themselves. This may, of course, be a complete fabrication for plot reasons, though.

SP
Winchester
Senshi Cadet

Postby Knight of L-sama » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Winchester wrote:One anime where the competition for high school entry is visible is Sailor Moon (can't remember which season, probably SuperS, might have been Stars). IIRC, it was made a big deal out of - especially Usagi having passed...

It also does illustrate the elevator school principal as well. I forget which episode it was exactly but the girls give Rei grief about how she doesn't have to study for entrance exams since she goes to a private school with the elevator system.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:42 am

lwf58 wrote:3. Students change floors according to their year.

Is there any constant on what floor houses what year. In Ranma 1/2, unless it's a miss translation Ranma and Akane are said to be on the third floor, but they're first years (or are they first years...I mean they're 16 so I always assumed...)

I appologize for rezing this topic, but I am finding myself in need of the information with in it. (Lots of things in it I know, but I don't know the presise details.)
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:50 am

I don't know the definitive answer to that, but the floor first year students use may vary from school to school.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby TerraEpon » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:11 am

I remember reading that Ranma is backwards from the norm, which is 10th on the 1st, 11th on the 2nd, and 12th on the third.
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:54 pm

As Furinkan has four floors I assumed that the specialty class rooms were on the first floor, which is why the first years being on the third floor made no sense to me.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Fic Research