Fukufics List Wiki

Administrators will post news concerning the site here.

Fukufics List Wiki

Postby Sunshine Temple » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:51 pm

After several years and long delays (which are all my fault) the Fic List is back to a more integrated form.

A wiki has been setup that can be viewed here.

Thanks I'd like to thank all the help in getting this setup. Stacy/Stendec got the wiki installed. Larry helped on the backend. And WarGiver did the lion's share of transferring all the fic entries from the old blog to the new site.

The fukufics blog will remain up. It will remain as a place to check for news and updates in case of outages and the like.

Though I'll probably lock down and mothball the old entries. They will no longer be updated.

Also the wiki will be expanded for other uses, such as lists of other types of fics and possible reference material.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Re: Fukufics List Wiki

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:38 pm

Nice.

One thing, though: wouldn't you save room by removing "TG?" It's, well, redundant. Ranma 1/2 without any changes has transgender/sex change, so that doesn't change if it's a fukufic story.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Right now they're very redundant.

Though with the idea of other kinds of fics being listed ( Wargiver floated the idea of Karmen-Ranma fics) it would be less redundant.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:34 pm

Ranma 1/2: TG

A fukufic: TG

No matter how you look at it, it'd be redundant. Even should kamen-Ranma stories be listed, and they didn't have a TG tag, they'd be far outnumbered and it wouldn't change the fact that TG for a fukufic is telling us what we already know is true of Ranma 1/2: Ranma changes gender. It'd make a lot more sense to toss TG out and use tags that instead indicate whether he still has an operating curse, if it's locked, or if Ranma/Ranko had always been a girl to begin with. Stuff like that.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:56 pm

Hmmm... reminds me of the *old* *old* list page way back before the forums. Yes, I still remember it.

In any case, interesting format. Here are some miscellaneous thoughts that came to me as I glanced at it.

One story occurs to me as a magical girl fuku like story with Ranma that IIRC would warrant a NSM tag and it turns out is not in the list... 'Sexual Endeavours' by Ichinohei Hitomi.

Also... Form personal experience, I have actually been told off by authors back when I had the 'Dead' tag in my own lists, I had to change it to 'Inactive' to get them to settle down.

I use one year threshold as the benchmark for determining when a fic status is in process, or inactive.

In that regard, is it possible to add the format used for the word count? This is notable as stories on multiple sites and formats can actually have different word counts. Simply putting the predominant file extension would do it, TXT, DOC, HTML, etc...

Or list raw downloaded filesize? I am an unusual one in that I use filesize, not wordcount, when I think in story length.

The 'Lost' tag is not used. Though personally, with the exception of a story given to me directly by an author for private read or proofread, I consider any fic I can link to fair game. so a 'by request' lost story is not a valid reason for it to be lost if I can find it by a standard search engine.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:02 pm

I have nothing against removing it, but we previously had an AU tag that got removed. so removing an obvious tag is not an issue. but this is the first official release of this version of the list and we have no idea how it will go. we could get fics that are an uncursed Ranma becomming a kamen, or stories where Ranma isn't cursed yet, but will be. My only real point is to leave it for now and see what we expand into and how the TG tag falls into it.

One story occurs to me as a magical girl fuku like story with Ranma that IIRC would warrant a NSM tag and it turns out is not in the list... 'Sexual Endeavours' by Ichinohei Hitomi.

hmm I am not familiar with this story but if it fits I can not question it.

Also... Form personal experience, I have actually been told off by authors back when I had the 'Dead' tag in my own lists, I had to change it to 'Inactive' to get them to settle down.

I use one year threshold as the benchmark for determining when a fic status is in process, or inactive.

generally the rule I used was: If we had word the story is not dead then its inactive, if the host (other then ff.net) seems alive its not dead but active. If I can not find it anywhere on the internet its Lost (Except for Gaijin's works, but he pulled his and requested no public archiving)

In that regard, is it possible to add the format used for the word count? This is notable as stories on multiple sites and formats can actually have different word counts. Simply putting the predominant file extension would do it, TXT, DOC, HTML, etc...

Or list raw downloaded filesize? I am an unusual one in that I use filesize, not wordcount, when I think in story length.

Mostly the only word count I used was ff.net's I tried word for some of the older ones and that is why some have word count and no dates, but they were just tests I did and stopped doing for the problem outlined, just simple speed of loading info.

The 'Lost' tag is not used. Though personally, with the exception of a story given to me directly by an author for private read or proofread, I consider any fic I can link to fair game. so a 'by request' lost story is not a valid reason for it to be lost if I can find it by a standard search engine.

As stated, Lost is lost. it simply means we know it once existed, but it vanished from the web by accident or design.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:26 pm

What about making it so there is a "Land of the Lost Fics" a place where people can upload copies of lost fic chapters that they have on their hard drives pending author approval to be officially published again? With a honor system rule that the fics there will not be directly linked to or copied to be posted publicly without the author permission coming through.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:31 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:Ranma 1/2: TG

A fukufic: TG

No matter how you look at it, it'd be redundant. Even should kamen-Ranma stories be listed, and they didn't have a TG tag, they'd be far outnumbered and it wouldn't change the fact that TG for a fukufic is telling us what we already know is true of Ranma 1/2: Ranma changes gender. It'd make a lot more sense to toss TG out and use tags that instead indicate whether he still has an operating curse, if it's locked, or if Ranma/Ranko had always been a girl to begin with. Stuff like that.

*coughs* Yeah, meant non Ranma fics too.

Larry had suggested that we branch out too. We're still talking over what we would archive by (and if it would be exhaustive), so in the future, TG may not be redundant.

PCHeintz72 wrote:Hmmm... reminds me of the *old* *old* list page way back before the forums. Yes, I still remember it.

Ah yes the old html version.
I may have a version of it floating around somewhere.

In any case, interesting format. Here are some miscellaneous thoughts that came to me as I glanced at it.

PC: One story occurs to me as a magical girl fuku like story with Ranma that IIRC would warrant a NSM tag and it turns out is not in the list... 'Sexual Endeavours' by Ichinohei Hitomi.

WG: hmm I am not familiar with this story but if it fits I can not question it.

[I remember that story. And yes it was on the honorable mention list, back when we had one of those.

[As Wargiver said, we use FF.net.
[Speaking from my own works it doesn't exactly match my master copy counts.
[But it is consistent if we measure from that when available.

[And yeah, Lost is completely gone. So it can't be linked too ;p

[I've had one writer request his entry removed, and had another take down his fics and request no on-line mirroring.

[There are some fics "Into the Fire" are ones where every version on the net was lost, but I managed to find the Author and get permission to host.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Sunshine Temple » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:35 pm

Spokavriel wrote: What about making it so there is a "Land of the Lost Fics" a place where people can upload copies of lost fic chapters that they have on their hard drives pending author approval to be officially published again? With a honor system rule that the fics there will not be directly linked to or copied to be posted publicly without the author permission coming through.

Well, I like the idea of people submitting Lost fics to the site.
But they wouldn't be posted until the author was contacted and found.

Again I'm a bit wary of hosting something without permission.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:38 pm

I know simply doing that is a bit chancy. But if the Log shows who uploaded and didn't actually keep the fics viewable it would show who to ask for a copy still offline and there could even be a kind of nomination system to show fan demand for a fic to be restored to the net. Say in the cases of author requested lost fics.

Edit: I don't think I described what I am thinking of well enough.

Ok so here is the proposal. An area where anyone can upload chapters of lost fics. It would not allow direct linking to the chapters. The story chapters would only be readable by logged in members. Having all the different versions of the chapters also being allowed to be uploaded might not be a bad idea because some times there are fics where the chapters were whole sale replaced or the story was rewritten and didn't get as far on the newer version. There are even some unofficially lost fics that way.

The point is to make it in the end so that the fics can be proven to still exist and maybe through fan demand the authors can be swayed to allow them to be publicly instead of member only hosted again.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:47 pm

You're over thinking it.

There are only 8 Lost fics. Two of them were pulled by the author and will not be back. And two are done by people who actively post here.

That leaves 4 left.

We really don't need a special uploader and status page for that. If anyone finds it we can have them email me or another staff member to hold the fic until the writer has been contacted.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:57 pm

I was thinking more as a matter of future proofing. Its not like internet sites are immortal sadly. And neither are authors. But hopefully this site will last long enough for such things to be worthwhile.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:22 pm

Archive.org protects many sites, in fact there is even a tag to show the fics in current danger of being lost but are 'safe' on that site. for the record there are 8 fics listed as such and like lost fics some of them are ones that the author is active here.

The worst disaster we could have truthfully is if ff.net died on us. thats over half of the fics right there.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:10 am

WarGiver wrote:The worst disaster we could have truthfully is if ff.net died on us. thats over half of the fics right there.

Pretty much agree...

I do not know if my own breakdown of all links anime / manga / fanfiction / AMV's would correspond to anyone else, but with a quick current check I end up from largest to smallest with the following statistics for my own link collection for the bigger sites.

1990 FanFiction.NET

378 animemusicvideos.org

326 animenewsnetwork

315 animeaddventure

197 Mediaminer.ORG

156 archive.org and classic.archive.org

121 YouTube

101 invisionfree

67 stfan

57 lemontastica

56 RanmaFics

52 tatariarchive

45 old TMFFA

42 darkscribes.org (due to site redesign, these are broke)

37 florestica

32 adultfanfiction.net

29 archives.erie.org

26 angelfire

21 ffmlsearch

21 ficwad

15 reocities

12 fukufics

11 imdb

11 rakhal

10 asynjor

10 shoujoai

9 fubarfics
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:54 pm

Nice :)
I know how much work it usually takes to create such seemingly unassuming tables.

also: Sailor Ranko metaseries doesn't list "Silver Sun" by VentureH : http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5871220/1/Silver_Sun (It's not a fukufic, not even strictly a Ranma fanfic, but still it's a part of the series)
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Next

Return to Site Announcements