New rank structure

Administrators will post news concerning the site here.

Postby Bliss » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:15 am

These new designs look great~<3

.....Not that this is important, but I've got a minor question. Is there a way to get the white background instead of the silver-ish gray.... I prefer the white background as a purely asthetic choice... but if it's going to be a problem then nevermind~<3
Princess of Nyx (Nix)
Saving the world, One Bishie at a Time

Rank Up! Spammaster Rank C by Himi-chan Sept. 5, 2007
Appointed 'Universal Translator' by Cybses July 22, 2006
Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:29 am

Are you talking about in the forum theme or on one of the graphics?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Bliss » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:04 am

Blossom-chan wrote: Are you talking about in the forum theme or on one of the graphics?

On the graphics.. the resolution on my screen makes it almost impossible to see the stripes otherwise..
Princess of Nyx (Nix)
Saving the world, One Bishie at a Time

Rank Up! Spammaster Rank C by Himi-chan Sept. 5, 2007
Appointed 'Universal Translator' by Cybses July 22, 2006
Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:38 am

I asked because Grey isn't a color I am seeing in the graphics. Outside of the Moderator tag.

Edit: Actually I should correct that I am seeing Grey on the skirts graphic too. But it's more because of opacity from what Larry said.

Edit again: I still say with the change in opacity the brown is way too subtle compared to the black.

My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:29 am

The colors on the graphics backgrounds are set at 40% opacity. I tried using a different brown, more of a red-brown, and it still looks much the same as the pure brown I used the first time.

The problem with using white as the background is that the skirts for Super and Eternal wash out against it, while the blue skirt used in the rest of the graphics doesn't stand out well against a solid black; that's the reason for the lowered opacity. I wanted to suggest the colors of karate rank belts without taking away from the stripes and skirts.

Maybe I could increase opacity by a few percent...?
lwf58
Site Master

Postby lwf58 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:56 am

An increase to 50% works, but 60% starts to make the fuku skirt hard to see. So I'll upload the ones with 50% opacity.

Now, the difference between brown and black should be more easily seen.

lwf58
Site Master

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:40 pm

Any way to turn these new bars off? Or get it to where it is the old method of a simple bar?

I current have the forum theme turned off and on phpbb default (the only way I've ever been able to navigate this forum, as I cannot with the forum custom theme active), and they do not look quite right to me.

If not... I guess I can live. It would not be the first forum UI color coding issue I've come across (GH's BYOM forum colors suck worse).
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:04 pm

The colors are distinctively different now. Thanks for increasing the opacity to 50%.

The rank graphics haven't shown up in the Temple Theme yet. And it does end up having loading hangups from the code that goes through rounding corners and smoothing text. There's room for improvement in allot of places. If I knew anything about coding any of it I'd try to help.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:19 pm

And it does end up having loading hangups from the code that goes through rounding corners and smoothing text.

Get an adblocker or something and block niftycube.js

That takes care of the rounding, and slow loading.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:31 pm

Rank graphics don't show in the Temple style because Stacy didn't include them as part of the theme. Unless she redesigns the Temple to include them, they never will show up in it.

And yes, all of the problems associated with the Temple style are due to the JavaScript niftycube.js, which is supposed to round off the corners of the windows and text areas.

If you use Firefox, you can get the add-on Adblock Plus and set it to block the script. That eliminates all of the issues like the page loading twice or loading more slowly than it should.

No, there is no way to choose a different set of rank images. They are chosen in the admin controls for the site, and only one set can be used at a time. The alternative is to use the Temple style, which is an option in your user profile control panel. That doesn't show the rank graphics at all.

I'm considering installing other theme styles, but need to find some good ones first. I'm open for suggestions. The style has to be designed for or compatible with phpBB 2.x.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby AshK1980 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:24 am

I like the way you did the designs. So when are they going to be added above our Avvies? Or are you waiting for Sunshine to Approve them? Anyway, Great job!
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:50 am

They are already in use. But they only show up if you're using the Subsilver forum style. See my last post to find out why.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby AshK1980 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:57 am

I like Subsilver a lot better! It looks cooler! Great work Iwf58 as well as you too Sunshine!
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:06 pm

I wish I knew how to script the themes. It would be nice to have an alternate of the current Temple theme that showed the images and could let you turn off the rounding in the profile without having to use a blocker in the browser. I just really haven't ever liked the Sub silver.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:44 pm

I've tried installing a few other styles, but they all failed. Dunno why.
lwf58
Site Master

PreviousNext

Return to Site Announcements