Sword of Dawn, Hammer of Twilight (OOC)

Here's where Role Playing, and Multiple Author story threads go. Keep on topic or... in character.... whatever

Sword of Dawn, Hammer of Twilight (OOC)

Postby Dorin » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:22 pm

Before I get started on anything, let me say that this is an attempt for a roleplay here on the boards, rather than IRC. It's an experiment I've never tried before, and I hope it will work. This will be an open game to anybody who's interested, so long as you meet the following requirements:

All people must have a character created with the Third Edition BESM Tristat rules, if you don't have access to these rules, let me know and we'll see if we can't work something out.

Second, for a board rp to be successful, you have to take some time out every day or so to keep up with posts. For these things to go smoothly all members have to be semi-active in looking at the board for new posts at least once a day, hopefully more.

Other than that, it's not very labor intensive, aside from some book keeping. To help this along, I am making this mostly diceless; that is to say, dice are only used for dramatic effect, or to resolve things that should have challenge in them. I'll be handling all rolls, so no one needs to worry about doing that.

Any other questions, feel free to ask or PM me reguarding this idea.

On another note, the campaign itself:

The idea is to run this game in Epic Fantasy style; such as Forgotten Realms, Record of Lodoss War, or similiar things. I'm open to other campaign ideas, if this generates enough interest. For now, this is just a thread to see if anyone is keen for the idea of playing on a forum rather than OpenRPG or IRC.

Edit as of 1-24-07:

There are lots and lots of posts I could wind up doing for information and background; right now, the world itself is largly fluid and undesigned, to allow for a wide range of options in creativity for characters.

The important information: For character creation, I'm throwing out 600 CP; that's a freakin lot! However, in this setting, there will be quite a bit of epic work, with powerful NPCs, and frightingly strong magic and the like.

Feel free to create any kind of race your mind can contemplate; use the races in the BESM 3 book as guidelines to give you ideas. It can be as a common as humans, dwarves, or elves; or as unique as winged snark people who sing their spells. Or whatever strikes you. Classes are in the same line of reasoning. Just remember, everything you design will cost CP to build.

On the matter of magic, templates are not required, but are encouraged. It helps make things a little easier for you, in reducing costs, and gives you a system to rp. If you do Lina Inverse, or some kind of psychic, or a medieval Sailor Moon, is entirely up to you. Character building questions, or thoughts, go right ahead and PM me, or catch me on IRC.

A note on Dynamic Power, if you think about taking this, we're going to be doing some one on one for it. This is a powerful attribute which I really want to work with you if you want it. It's not banned outright, but it will require permission to use.

Edit as of 1-30-08: For skills, use the High Fantasy Skill set for cost and available skills. Thanks to Alathon for reminding me of that.
Anything else, go nuts. Happy creating!
Last edited by Dorin on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dorin
Senshi Cadet

Postby Musouka » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:26 pm

so this one is play by post? I've never been able to join any of the RPG here due to time constraint.
Musouka
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dorin » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:37 pm

Basically, yes, it's a play by post kind of deal. Avoidin the normal time restrictions and giving people the freedom to post when they're able. It'll be fairly slow, but if people can give it enough time each day, maybe just spurts of activity, then it should work fairly well.
Dorin
Senshi Cadet

Postby DCG » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:03 am

Im in. Even if the slowest player can only post a couple times a day, We can all get a lot done.

I mean hell Look how nuts those spamvill posts get.

Epic level's huh? Ill have to big in my pics folder and see what comes to mind.
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Light02 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:57 pm

I'm also interested in this though I have no clue which route I'll take, and I don't have the tristat rules.
Light, The New Avatar of Chaos
Light02
Asteroid Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:05 pm

I'm interested as well. I also have BESM 3rd ed. so I can also help if there are general questions (nothing campaign specific). Generally it's not too different from 2nd ed. but there are a few changes (some of the abilities may cost a bit more or less, depending on the ability, for example).
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Dorin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:49 pm

Thanks ^_^ Any help is appreciated, and thoughts on campaign direction or setting or welcome.
Dorin
Senshi Cadet

Postby DCG » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:55 pm

Surprised more people don't want to give this a shot.

Got any back ground on dragons in this dorin?

Was looking around my pic files for some ideas and found.

http://lh6.google.com/pyroraven/R6BSFJm ... imgmax=576
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Dorin » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:03 am

What do you plan on doing for the character? Someone who can transform back and forth between dragon and normal, or decended from dragons?
Dorin
Senshi Cadet

Postby DCG » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:17 am

Both!

Was thinking of a swordchan with acesses to a young dragon form.

Muses are all ready at work on laying out how she acts.
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Dorin » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:31 am

That's perfectly acceptable. If you'd like me to come up with some background on the origins of dragons or something, I can do that.
Dorin
Senshi Cadet

Postby Alathon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:17 am

I've been thinking about this, and I'm interested in giving this a swing. The other times I've done by-post games they never really got off the ground, but this could certainly be the first.

For character concept, I'm thinking an Angel/Archon of some deity of justice on some other plane who got offed in a war between planes/spheres/whatever, leaving his few remaining servants to go find something to do with themselves. In Machariel's case, rather than join up with one of the local gods who was at least similar in alignment, he ended up going on a road trip, and has suffered some alignment drift along the way -- from lawful goodie, to neutral good, and trending further towards chaotic good. And who is kinda looking for something to do with himself that has meaning.
"Last week, I tried praying. But I found I was only talking to myself. Don't worry, I learned my lesson last time. This time, no disciples!" - N. Reynolds, To Tell a Hawk from a Handsaw
Alathon
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Hmm

Postby Solara » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:13 am

I've very interested but there no way I can afford $20 for the book for one game since no one else plays BESM 3e that i know of anyways.
Solara

Postby camk4evr » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:12 pm

I have it and can coach you through character creation if you want, Solara. Hell, I could probably create your character for you if you can tell me what you want it to be able to do.
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Solara » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:53 pm

I've got the book now so it's not a problem anymore
Solara

Next

Return to RPG's & Multiple Author Works