Slice of life

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Slice of life

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:18 pm

I was wondering if anyone else liked the slice of life genre. I especially like it with comedy.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Slice of life

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:I was wondering if anyone else liked the slice of life genre. I especially like it with comedy.

I'm not sure of a proper definition for "slice of life". As long as you avoid Magical Realism and its friends, most fiction tries to give you the impression of life-as-it's-lived. Do you mean only ordinary life? Or do you mean a story that includes a lot of the mechanics of living, in whatever world the story lives with?

Take Ranma as an example. In his world, curses and martial artists and coincidences are part of everyday life. Would it be, then, slice-of-life if we included school, and dinner, and homework, and sleeping as well as the adventures? Or would we have to follow Kasumi around for a day for it to count?
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:55 pm

I usually see the genre attributed to stories where someone or some people are going about doing what's ordinary for people in their society to do in general, day in and day out. Many of the ones I can think of, for instance, focus on students going to school, and/or their activities in a club. There are also a few where events primarily take place where they work. If I had to define it myself, I'd say any story that puts enough focus on what people normally do often because it's a part of how one can live in their society/culture. It could be something mundane, like school or a job. But I don't see why it should leave out anything magical or something that would seem fantastical outside of its context.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:15 pm

I love slice of life. K-on, Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, and the like, as well as somewhat less realistic/funny stories like Neia_7 and Hanbei Renmei. Most sitcoms would be considered slice of life.

The genre gets blasted for lacking an overarcing plot, and thus, inhererently inferior, but writing them is much harder than writing a fantasy or sci-fi story.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Cheb » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:27 am

Nichijou is a very well balanced mix of slice of life and bizarreness (They say it's a spiritual successor to Azumanga, but I barely know Azumanga so I can't say). I recommend. (I liked Haibane Renmei as well. I've even read a crossover fanfic for it, Haibane Ranma)
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:51 am

Yeah, I've been following the Nichijou anime, and I like it. I've been putting off reading the manga, though. Procrastination strikes again!

K-on's among my top favorites, since I like music stuffs. Azumanga Daioh is also up there.

I never understood the appeal of Lucky Star and Haruhi Suzumiya, though.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Return to Anime / Manga