Dragon Ball Z Kai

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Re: Dragon Ball Z Kai

Postby WG_Writer » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:55 am

Dragon Ball Z Kai is at its most basic level DBZ minus filler and its ending. there is much digital and redrawing done, it is enhanced to HD level and is redubbed. but that is as far as I know.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:22 am

I wasn't able to watch Kai until recently. My preferences kind of make me want to lean towards the original, but Kai did have a few good things about it (first and foremost in my mind being the Ginyu Force's intro song).
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:28 am

uncut

Not exactly true. It had baby Gohan's wee-wee censored out, as well as sometimes replacing bloody holes in the character bodies with strong bruises.
Still, it's much more dynamic and brutal (the Freeza saga, at least). I tried to watch the old DBZ after it, to compare these. I couldn't. DBZ has too much family-friendly crap oriented at children jammed into every crevice of it.
(I'm talking about fansubbed versions here, both with Japanese sound).
DB Kai is almost twice shorter than DBZ.

dub

I'm frowning at you. :evil: The real Jedi watch their anime subtitled.

Maybe I should have purchased the original "Dragon Ball" series instead.

You will miss much. There are lots of characters in DB Kai, who will all be unfamiliar to you. All of them have an extensive backstory somewhere in DB.
DB is much lighter, adventure-flavored thing. It's also very long (around 150 episodes, AFAIR)

Capt Ginyu

Ah, mister Fan Disservice :roll:

there is much digital and redrawing done,

For example, the Namekian dragonballs are much bigger, you can sit comfortably on one. It wasn't so in DBZ. Of course, everything related to these had to be animated from the scratch.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:37 pm

I'm frowning at you. :evil: The real Jedi watch their anime subtitled.

Leeeeet's not get into that. That sort of debate would derail a train and send it crashing into a forest several miles away.

Ah, mister Fan Disservice :roll:

I think I know which scene you're thinking of; that one's sort of a "Gah! The cameraman's out cold!" kind of thing. Still, on the whole I find Ginyu and his men utterly hilarious.

Back in the late 1990s, early 2000s or thereabouts, my older brother was interested in DBZ for a little while. The first time he saw the Ginyu Force dancing around, pumping themselves up and yelling "GINYUUUUU! ... HWAAAAAAR!", he was rather weirded out. I wasn't; the weird look on Frieza's face afterward sold me. :)

For example, the Namekian dragonballs are much bigger, you can sit comfortably on one. It wasn't so in DBZ. Of course, everything related to these had to be animated from the scratch.

Actually, in DBZ, I'm fairly certain I remember Gohan sitting on one without any issues.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Vocaloid » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:18 pm

If the old fart with me remembers right, the original dragonballs were a bit bigger than fist sized, bbut smaller than volleyball sized
Know Music, Know Life
No Music, No Life
Vocaloid
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:48 am

The Namek Dragon Balls were always bigger than the earth ones. I think Beach ball is an accurate description of there size. How big are they in Kai?

Once I get an income I'll probably pick up Kai. Someone mentioned a different ending?
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:02 am

If you pick up any of "The CW" stations (the ones that run Smallville, Vampire Diaries, etc.), they run an hour of DBZ Kai every Saturday on their Saturday morning lineup. (They've called the lineup "CW 4Kids" for a while - what in the world does Kai have to do with 4Kids? :shock: ) On cable/satellite, there's also Nicktoons.

I think Hulu also has some episodes, but 'limited' release.
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Circe » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:41 am

Lioconvoy wrote:Once I get an income I'll probably pick up Kai. Someone mentioned a different ending?

Kai never covered the Buu Saga - it just stops after Cell.
My Spamville character sheet!

Sailor Soldier of Umbriel!
Circe
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:42 pm

It doesn't cover Buu? But isn't Buu apart of Toriyama's Cannon? I mean it's in the Korean MMORG.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Circe » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Yes, the Buu arc was in the manga. Kai still doesn't cover it.
My Spamville character sheet!

Sailor Soldier of Umbriel!
Circe
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:51 pm

I wonder why not....

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:37 am

http://nebs66.livejournal.com/1268166.html
However, Toriko has been revealed to be airing at 9:00 on Fuji TV in April, a popular slot currently held by DragonBall Kai. It's previously been rumored that Kai would end after 99 episodes, & this Toriko news puts it right about at that magic number. & judging by where DBK is right now in the story (the Cell Games are about to begin), it also puts it at exactly the right spot to conclude the Cell Saga in three months time. All of this adds up to the fact that, for whatever reason, DragonBall Kai will NOT be covering the Buu Saga.

It's quite an unusual move. Why stop 2/3 of the way through & not just go all the way? I mean sure Akira Toriyama wanted to end his manga after the Cell Saga, but was convinced by higher ups to continue it & therefor create the Buu storyline. But that's also true for the end of the Freeza Saga, his original ending point for his story. Plus considering how popular the series is, how much money & revenue it creates, & how cheap it is to produce (the animation was already drawn 15 years ago), it really doesn't add up. & you just know FUNimation would love for them to do the Buu saga so they can continue to milk DBZ anyway they can. Kai was supposed to be a truer adaption of Toriyama's original manga. How can they claim that if they don't even adapt the final third of the series? Nothing about this really adds up at all.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Return to Anime / Manga