Series I can use as source material

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Re: Series I can use as source material

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:10 am

frice2000 wrote:OAV is far more compelling in my opinion then the tv series.

In the TV series, the characters were okay -- but I can't handle that many levels of "It's only a dream".
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
User avatar
Sailor Starlight
Posts: 1796
 

Re: Series I can use as source material

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:01 pm

So... Both? XD
Crescent Pulsar R
User avatar
Crystal Power Senshi
Posts: 4122
 

Re: Series I can use as source material

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:09 pm

@Shanami

What... From a timeline perspective... No... it fits together reasonably nicely.

The R.O.D. Read Or Die 4 volume manga was first, with her meeting Nenene in it.

The R.O.D. Read Or Die 3 episode OAV came next with her working for the Library under Joker and going against a guy with a lightsaber with a roll of money, among all the others in that group.

The R.O.D. Read Or Dream 26 episode TV series took place several years later, where at some point after the OAV but before the tv series start, Yomiko destroyed the British library HQ, with the youngest of the 3 paper sisters present as witness. Joker is the bad guy in this.
PCHeintz72
User avatar
Prism Power Senshi
Posts: 2686
 

Re: Series I can use as source material

Postby Shanami » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Been a very long time since I've actually watched the original stuff. What I was primarily referring to with the tenuous connections thing was that I was pretty sure Nancy doesn't line up quite right between the original and the OAV, at least, I kinda remember thinking that. I was pretty sure that Yomiko knew Nancy in the original, but then she doesn't seem to know who she is in the OAV, and I'm pretty sure there is a completely different explanation for who she is in both.

Again, it has been years, so I could just be blowing smoke.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
User avatar
Prism Power Senshi
Posts: 2010
 

Re: Series I can use as source material

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:21 pm

Shanami wrote:Been a very long time since I've actually watched the original stuff. What I was primarily referring to with the tenuous connections thing was that I was pretty sure Nancy doesn't line up quite right between the original and the OAV, at least, I kinda remember thinking that. I was pretty sure that Yomiko knew Nancy in the original, but then she doesn't seem to know who she is in the OAV, and I'm pretty sure there is a completely different explanation for who she is in both.

Again, it has been years, so I could just be blowing smoke.

They deliberately made it confusing, you walk away with two interpretations...

Option 1, Nancy in the OAV that was her partner died, but the clone that lost to her lost most of her memories due to that fight, and was hospitalized.

Option 2, Nancy that was the partner lived and the clone died, but lost her memories in the fall from the rocket.

That surviving one is the one visited by Yomiko at the end of the OAV and is then the one in the TV series, which never fully recovered from the incident.

Personally, I was of the opinion it was really option 1.
PCHeintz72
User avatar
Prism Power Senshi
Posts: 2686
 

Re: Series I can use as source material

Postby Shanami » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:08 pm

I always took the first option to be more likely myself. But, I was also under the impression that Nancy was a character in the original R.O.D. manga series too, not just the OAV, if I remember correctly (and I could easily be mixing it up with R.O.Dream I suppose or the novel series). The big disconnect I was actually referring to was the fact that in the OAV, Yomiko doesn't seem to have a clue who Nancy is when they first meet in the bookstore and that in the OAV, Nancy was a clone, whereas in her first intro (I think it was the manga, may have been the novels), she wasn't.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
User avatar
Prism Power Senshi
Posts: 2010
 

Re: Series I can use as source material

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:52 am

Well, I'm thinking I'll get the TV, since I found a box set that's selling for a good price. I can pick up the OVA and the manga later.
Crescent Pulsar R
User avatar
Crystal Power Senshi
Posts: 4122
 

Re: Series I can use as source material

Postby camk4evr » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:42 am

PCHeintz72 wrote:The R.O.D. Read Or Dream 26 episode TV series took place several years later, where at some point after the OAV but before the tv series start, Yomiko destroyed the British library HQ, with the youngest of the 3 paper sisters present as witness. Joker is the bad guy in this.


The TV series is R.O.D. the TV and the 'D' stands for neither 'Dream' nor 'Die' as it's just "a catch-all acronym referring to the inclusion of characters from both the Read or Die novels, manga and OVA and the Read or Dream manga, which revolves solely around the Paper Sisters" (From the ROD the TV Wikipedia article though I read in a magazine article that it was just called ROD the TV because it was not exactly Read or Die nor Read or Dream)

Shanami wrote:I always took the first option to be more likely myself. But, I was also under the impression that Nancy was a character in the original R.O.D. manga series too, not just the OAV, if I remember correctly (and I could easily be mixing it up with R.O.Dream I suppose or the novel series). The big disconnect I was actually referring to was the fact that in the OAV, Yomiko doesn't seem to have a clue who Nancy is when they first meet in the bookstore and that in the OAV, Nancy was a clone, whereas in her first intro (I think it was the manga, may have been the novels), she wasn't.


I don't remember Nancy even apearing in the manga series so it may've been the light novels (which I've never read).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shinji: Well suppose some mysterious entities were attacking, and
Asuka:Oh please, Baka Shinji, that sounds like some cheap, pseudo-profound T.V. show. Low budget. Ambiguous ending.
-Asuka and Shinji discussing why you would build a giant robot. NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol.6
camk4evr
User avatar
Moon Senshi
Posts: 1918
 

Re: Series I can use as source material

Postby frice2000 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:23 am

Was thinking you could use the Lunar video game series in a cross with SM kind of nicely. Would make for some interesting perspective there since things are quite opposite from SM canon what with Earth uninhabitable and the Moon a living body. Could be interesting to see the Lunar series as a precursor story maybe?
frice2000
User avatar
Asteroid Senshi
Posts: 572
 

Re: Series I can use as source material

Postby Shanami » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:27 am

camk4evr wrote:I don't remember Nancy even apearing in the manga series so it may've been the light novels (which I've never read)


Probably was the light novels then.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
User avatar
Prism Power Senshi
Posts: 2010
 

Re: Series I can use as source material

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:40 pm

frice2000 wrote:Was thinking you could use the Lunar video game series in a cross with SM kind of nicely. Would make for some interesting perspective there since things are quite opposite from SM canon what with Earth uninhabitable and the Moon a living body. Could be interesting to see the Lunar series as a precursor story maybe?

Well, I didn't bring up video games because, well... this forum doesn't support it. And there's no particular forum that officially support it, either; certainly none suitable for what I'm doing here. But I do have a few game series on the work bench.
Crescent Pulsar R
User avatar
Crystal Power Senshi
Posts: 4122
 

Re: Series I can use as source material

Postby Shanami » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:00 pm

There are a lot of game series that I'd like to see used more often:

FF8, Darkstalkers, and Okami have fics I'd have love to have seen continued or the base series used more often, and I can see a lot of room for some hilarity with other series... Bayonetta just brings so many bad ideas to mind it is almost boggling.

For more esoteric, if games are now fair game (bwahahahaha), I'd love to see a good Nights/Ranma cross, but I feel like that would be very very difficult.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
User avatar
Prism Power Senshi
Posts: 2010
 

Re: Series I can use as source material

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:22 pm

At the moment I only have ideas for Disgaea and Fire Emblem.
Crescent Pulsar R
User avatar
Crystal Power Senshi
Posts: 4122
 

Re: Series I can use as source material

Postby Pale Wolf » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:26 am

Well, I didn't bring up video games because, well... this forum doesn't support it.


Well, we don't officially have Games sections, but then we don't officially have many subdivisions. I'd personally say if you want to write about a game, toss it up here. The fanbase is pretty much the same. If it's a Japanese-origin game, toss it in Anime Fic C&C, if it's something else like Mass Effect, we have a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Fic C&C section further down the board menu.

While that may be subject to opinion, at the least, crossover stuff is fully supported.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
User avatar
Fukufics Staffer
Posts: 1315
 

Re: Series I can use as source material

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:04 pm

Well, if a mod says it... *I smile pleasantly as you noose yourself up*

:P

Anyway, yeah. Disgaea has far too many possibilities to pass up. The more non-linear Romancing Saga games might have something. Atelier Iris holds some possibilities as well, simply because it makes it possible for Ranma to appear in the universe, and alchemy is a possible means for a cure. The third and fourth Star Ocean make a crossover possible, too...

Of course, if I were to ever find a way to play Touhou, I'd definitely use it for crossover material.
Crescent Pulsar R
User avatar
Crystal Power Senshi
Posts: 4122
 

PreviousNext

Return to Anime / Manga

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users